• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senate to Vote on USDA Border Rule

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senate to Vote on USDA Border Rule

http://ilfb.aghost.net/index.cfm?show=4&id=13738

WASHINGTON (DTN) -- Jerry Hagstrom, DTN political correspondent, reported that Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., announced the Senate would vote early Thursday afternoon on a resolution of disapproval of the same rule to reopen the U.S. border to Canadian cattle on March 7,.

A U.S. District judge in Billings, Mont., Wednesday issued a temporary restraining order stopping the USDA from implementing the rule opening the border and calling for a trial on the rule. The judge, Richard Cebull, indicated he would issue a statement Thursday on his reasons for making the ruling, according to news reports. The U.S. border has been closed to Canadian cattle since May 2003 when a Canadian cow tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease.

The lawsuit against USDA was brought by the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America, a group of livestock producers. R-CALF contends that Canadian protections against BSE are not strong enough.

Conrad secured 33 signatures from senators Wednesday, more than the 30 needed to file a discharge petition requiring quick Senate action on the resolution. The Conrad spokesman said he expected about two hours of debate prior to the vote.

If the resolution passes the Senate, it could spur similar action in the House, according to Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., one of the strongest opponents of the border opening in the House. But to go into effect, the congressional resolution of disapproval would require President Bush's signature, which is unlikely, or an override of a presidential veto.

just posted on ranchers.net that the senate passed the resolution of disapproval. the white house has to respond to this so we'll see just how upset gwb is about the missile defence decision and if he really does want the border open.

Comment

What a bunch of baloney! Am I the only one running out of patience here? I bet not!

It's time to take off the gloves and stand up for ourselves.

It's time to bring out the testing for export card, and actually use it. Raise the bar. They can never keep up.

Give them what they want. If they don't want to trade cattle with us, then we can trade with the rest of the world, and leave them to their little dream world where there is no such thing as life outside the United States, and where BSE doesn't exist. We'll be happy to ship our tested beef to Japan, and leave them behind.

If they don't want live cattle, then they can take it in boxes. And they will, whether they want to or not, because it's American corporations that import beef, and they hold no loyalty to American cattle producers, just to the bottom line.

Oh yea, and that anaplasmosis thing? Forget it! Every American calf that comes north needs to be tested, ID'd and traceable to the farm of origin, mouthed, branded, heifers preg tested, and in a sealed truck.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

end of rant. Time to write Paul Martin an email again.

Comment

Hoorah Kato!! I'm with you! I've already sent e-mails to Ralph, Doug Horner, Andy Mitchell, and Paul Martin. I told 'em all if they go ahead with some BS bail-out, I'll cash the cheque and hand it over to BIG C. I let 'em have it. I'm sick of this crap too. If this isn't the best/worst display of political corruption and gong-shows in history, I don't know what is!

Comment

Kato and Purecountry, that was awesome! Both of your posts, I spent most of the morning on my computer backing you both up. Thanks for being on our team! Have a good day guys!

Comment

While some senators questioned Canadian safeguards, others like Wyoming Republican Craig Thomas said U.S. beef exports to Asia should be rebuilt before Canadian cattle were allowed. Idaho Republican Larry Craig pointed to long-running trade disputes with Canada over timber and potatoes and said he had no sympathy for Canada, the largest U.S. trade partner.

TIME FOR A BUY CANADIAN CAMPAIGN!It's worked well for the beef campaign, now we should promote other Canadian products as well. I hope none of us plan on buying American semen this year, or next.

Comment

inter3est,

I for one am not buying American semen. I've got simmental cattle and looking at all the semen books, most of the bulls are owned by Americans. Whatever I buy, I'm making sure it is strictly 100% Canadian. Canadian genetics and Canadian owned

Comment

It's all a bit "vaudeville" isn't it. And while we're ranting (believe me I've done enough today as well), does anybody else find some irony in our favorite American packers dropping the price of fats on the rail by a $0.10-$0.12/lb "in light of the RCALF decision"? You know, because alot has changed in 24 hours....reefers full of boxed beef still heading across the line. Yup, that injunction on the live cattle border opening really changed their business in a day, didn't it?... Un-bloody-believable...

Comment

Did anyone catch the Senate discussion on CBC? Hoolllyyy Shit! Wow! Apparently, Canada is public enemy #1 in some American states.

I would imagine that The National on CBC will air the heated Senate comments tonight. Should make for an interesting discussion on here! :P

Comment

Q&A discussion on Canadian cattle trade in 2nd half of National tonight.

Comment

Get used to it. When the border opens, and we are not self sufficient with processing, chances are this will happen again....and again. Let's go for the hard road, instead of complacancie and leave a future for our kids. Immediately stop using growth implants, prov & feds fund the plants that make sense, test for the markets that require it (leaving science out of it, because they once said it was OK to feed ruminants to ruminants, open OUR borders to Japan, and lets sell the best damned meat anywhere, to everywhere. Politely let the US know that Thanks...but no thanks, we will do it on out own. And just to get carried away, effeciency has not worked for the producer,(read Western Producer, Nettie Wiebe "Moral Economy"), so lets go the other way. Produce less, but with consideration to supplying the best quality, not the most. You see the "blue" add, where chickens actually see grass and room to roam....that is what the consumer thinks they are getting....not the caged up mass. Shoot half our herds, farm raise the feeders, and get twice as much....it really would work!!!And....I might be able to make a living. And maybe...just maybe....if we slowed down on chemicals and farmed as stewards of the land.....sorry, daydreaming again....

Comment

Greetings to all. I've been reading these posts for some time, but now I felt I had to join the fun! I agree with the above messages. I feel we need to as much as possible BOYCOTT everything American. Maybe individually it won't make much difference, but maybe if enough would, It could have some impact. Buy Canadian. ALso, we need to put as much vocal pressure on our limp politicians to stand up and fight back. Shut down U.S. imports, and cut off the power and gas flowing south. Another thing, if the Great Eastern leaders managed to come up with over $400 million for G.M., why can't they kick in to help establish more Canadian Processing plants for our beef? Come on Everybody out there, it's time to be heard. SCREW THE AMERICANS!!!!!!!!

Comment

bnyoung, just read your post. Are you using red/black/fleck genetics? flip me an email sometime, I might be able to help out with finding you some good Canadian Genetics. murgen_89@hotmail.com

Comment

I always thought that governments were supposed to provide the business climate for industry to prosper. We need some form of leadership now with some backbone. Where is that Martin with that sympathetic ear he had touring the ranches out west before elections. Give the grassroots people of this country a workable climate with a level playing field and we will give you Prime Minister that feeling of a sovereign nation. Is this not what this is about? A injection of cash is not what’s needed unless its in the form of a guaranteed loan for the upstart of packing houses likes the beef initiative group are proposing. Support the ways and means to provide testing for those customers that request it. The time for a sympathetic ear is now over and real action is long past due.

Comment

Honestly, R-calf is only doing what is in their best interest, something we (Canadian farmers) have not learned how to do. Packing monopolies, governments, utility companies, you name the business...as long as it is large enough to monopolise....will do what is in their best interest. We could take a chapter out of this issue, and learn.....you can control the outcome if you stand united, ....oh yea. sorry, I am talking to farmers....
                              they are to independant.....independantly broke.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...