• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longevity

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowman, Your example shows us that buying mature cows as herd replacements in the fall could pay off some years. But what kind of herd does it give you? a mixed herd with the calves off different sires, no consistancy and the potential to be buying in other peoples trouble cases. The ones that are ornery at calving, have teats that need milked out when they calve, prolapse.
    I still stand by my original thread which is that longevity is a much underrated trait. Another thing about the longevity trait is that is not antagonistic to a lot of the other traits we want - eg calving ease, milk, carcase.

Comment

kpb: I do agree that those cow/calf pairs hitting the market have got to look pretty good right now...if you have any extra grass! Unfortunately most guys are overstocked right now because they have been holding everything that could possibly have a calf, rather than let the "cow thieves" get her for next to nothing!
      grassfarmer: I was not saying buying old cows was a way to build a cow herd...just a short term way to make some money. I still believe it takes pretty well a lifetime to breed a really good cow herd!
      Of course a person is going to have some trouble with these cull type cows. They aren't at the sale because they were the best cows in the country! I believe if anyone wanted to build a cow herd on auction market cows, then they should be buying at a dispersal sale? Of course dispersal sale cows are usually quite pricey?
      With the presort sales you can always find a willing buyer for any calves that might not be a fit with your other cattle?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...