• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Thomas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Thomas

I'm absolutely stunned having just read the Cattlemen calving edition article by Larry Thomas. The article is entitled "A refreshing voice of reason" referring to Larry Sears presentation given at a TSE Conference in Paris. I would disagree with much of the article which is all based on proving that BSE testing for markets is not needed and that MBM is the only cause of BSE in cattle. The part that stunned me though was Thomas stating that the UK BSE cases surfaced "mostly in dairy herds where cattle are typically older" whaaaat??? I have heard it said that the average dairy cow lasts 2-3 lactations - and that's older than beef cows?? I think not. That totally shoots his credibility in my mind, bad enough media reporters being ignorant but seasoned reporters in beef magazines?

He later states that Sears is correct to say that the CCIA ID program puts us miles ahead in efficiency and accuracy compared to the passport system in Europe. How come? Canada is about to implement an RFID tag which allows trace back to herd of origin and gives producers the option of adding an unverified date of birth to the data base - if they choose to. The European passport system has been running nearly 10 years and gives not only herd origin, date of birth but colour, breed, dam and sire ID as well as lifetime movements between premisis. Canada may be introducing a good, and easier to implement system, but I can't see how it is "more accurate".
    Who is this clown?

Looking forward to reading the article grassfarmer.

Larry Sears was probably the driving force for this "cow patty" to get out of the field and into the letter writing and verbal opposition game. I listened to this fellow call BIG C naive at the semi annual ABP meeting in Edmonton last summer, and then have the guts to do it again at a BIG C meeting in Lethbridge. I approached him after the Lethbridge meeting and asked him what the fear in his speach was all about. Not much of a reply. I kind of vowed to learn all that he knew about BSE and trade issues surrounding it in a week. Think it took me 3 days. Doesn't sound like much progress since then.

This fellow is another good old boy who likes the ranks of ABP/CCA, but I thought he sounded a bit better at the CBEF AGM where we sat for lunch. Will Verboven from Aberta Beef Magazine made a suggestion that our dear Shirley Mactruck was a bit lost when it came to BSE testing for export markets. Not even Arno, who was sitting with Will, Larry and myself came out to defend her. I think these fellows have to sit down and discuss any response together and seem unable to let fly from the hip.

No doubt Larry's speach in Paris was carefully coreographed. But as with any of these fellows who have taken on the task of representing the producers of Alberta, we must give them the benefit of respect as individuals outside the doors of ABP/CCA.

I agree with your points about age of dairy cows and tracking grassfarmer. Hard to think any European representatives could have listened without thinking lowly of the Canadian representative.

And yes, what's up with Larry Thomas, the article's writer?

Comment

Just wait until you read the article by Gren Winslow then.... it's worse!! A whole article comparing the difference between Quebec and Alberta and their differing views on producer owned plants. He shows the ABP to be the democratic voice of Alberta producers wisely deciding to let "free enterprise" resolve the problems whereas the Quebecois are the crazies. According to him Quebec producers have told him they are hopping mad at the plant buy out there and wish that "free enterprise" had been allowed to continue as in Alberta. What a joke!! I'm writing to these clowns tonight - what is their real agenda?
      At least Rick Paskall has a good letter in - i'd only disagree with his position on Anaplasma and Blue tongue and I don't really know the definative science on them. My perception on the issue is that this was a bad move by Canada.

Comment

Are the rules regarding Ana. and Blu. written in stone, I think the date is after March 7. So, that gives us some leeway, if I'm correct with dates. If the border does not open, I figure we fight it and hard. I've always wondered how much a producer would hurt more than they are now, if the held back marketable cattle for 2 weeks. Is that enough time to work through what is owned by the multi's?

Comment

I doubt that would work - the feedlots generally are in favour of this move because they may get easier access to US feeders at some point in the future. This one only hurts the cow/calf guy (not counting the sheep) but yet again the illustrious ABP leadership can't wait to srew over their grassroots members. Remember this was thrown in last year to get concessions from the US - we're still waiting.

Comment

If my memorie is right Larry Sears is a welfare cowboy from nanton country and that is what ABP is all about is looking after the welfare state and the large feeders in this province.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...