• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Options

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To everyone on Agri-ville;

Perhaps a reasonable person would suggest:

I am too passionate;

I take Ag issues too seriously;

I spend too much time trying to resolve issues that I have little chance to change;

My family has paid too high a price for my commitment Agriculture.

For the average "Reasonable" person, they are probably right!

But then what one of us still involved in Agriculture... in the passionate fully dedicated manner required today... could be respectfully called "Reasonable"!

THank You all for your comments!

Comment

I think we might be missing the point of a pre-1997 cull? The true benifit would be getting our supply back into some sort of balance with the demand? Not much sense raising more and more calves if they aren't worth anything?
      In reality, wouldn't a cull amount to "supply management"?
      When Ford can't sell its trucks they don't build more of them(they cut production), so why do we want to produce more calves when they aren't really profitable?
      On top of this if we eliminated the pre-1997 cows we would probably get rid of the few that might have BSE and we wouldn't be getting these positives, that seem to excite the media(and the US)? And lets face it...these cows are going to get shot in the head in the next few years anyway...so what is the big deal? Handled properly it could be a positive media event!
      For those who bemoan the fact that those old cows are the best they've ever had consider this: If you are moving ahead with your herd your best cows should be your youngest cows and tommorrows calf should be better than last years!

Comment

cowman, I agree with moving the pre 97 cows out of the system, and that will continue to happen if the 4D program stays in place. Klien did not say anything about moving pre 97 cows he said CULL.
        Slaughter capacity and removing the SRM's will go a long way to getting the older cows moved into the food chain, and lord knows that most of us have older cows that would be on a truck tomorrow if they would bring even .30 per pound.
        Stats tell us that the cowherd will be reduced significantly due to the sell of of heifer calves the past two seasons. I realize that not everyone sold their heifer calves but many did, just because they needed cash flow.
        The most productive cows won't necessarily be the youngest ones in my opinion. Takes one hell of a heifer to raise a calf as good as the three or four year old in the same herd. I agree that each calf crop should be an improvement on the last, and most serious cattle producers aim for that.

Comment

Cowman, I think you are confusing two issues when you say we shouldn't hang onto our old cows as our best. True the idea that our current generation of heifer calves should always have better genetics than the last set is a sign our breeding program is moving ahead. This is not to be confused with an individual cows financial performance over her lifetime. Given the high cost of rearing any heifer to calving - let's face it the heifer is usually nearly 3 years old before she actually gives you any return on your investment (her first calf). Dairy producers have got carried away with this high turnover/high performance lark but it doesn't suit the beef industry so well.(I don't think it suits anybody well with cull prices so low. Any cow in my book that gets past the 3rd calf with zero difficulty has a high chance of remaining in the herd. If you work with a breed with longevity there is no reason why they can't produce 12-14 calves. Any calf they have after their 10th in my opinion are the most profitable calves you ever rear. The best beef cow is the one that you hardly know - no problems, no work, average calve and many years of production.

Comment

Throughout history some the most carasmatic leaders had henchmen that would go to battle for them no matter what. Tom worshipers. All of you. He's not my hero. Far from it.

Comment

I agree grassfarmer. I keep the daughters of those reliable cows, usually they pose no problems either. Good milkers, good disposition and easy calving. Some of the best donor cows in purebred herds are the old gals.

Comment

lakenheath,

I was just curious.

I don't understand When I personally said or did something that offended you?

1-866-866-4292, if you wouldn't mind, it sure would be interesting to know!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...