• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traceability

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traceability

I thought this news item concerning the Atlantic Beef Products new packing plant was most interesting. This plant has focused on traceability instead of 100% BSE testing to gain markets. I continue to be impressed with these people and I think they are on to something. Certainly they provide an example to follow since Alberta does not seem to be taking the lead.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news.aspx?storyID=26223

Traceability technology puts Albany plant on cutting edge By Mike Carson, The Guardian

Dean Baglole, centre, chairman of the board of directors of Atlantic Beef Products Inc., joins ACOA Minister Joe McGuire, left, and Malpeque MP Wayne Easter, parliamentary secretary of Agriculture and Agri-Foods, at Monday’s announcement of a $1.4-million beef traceability initiative for the new beef plant in Albany.(GUARDIAN PHOTO BY MIKE CARSON)
    ALBANY — More than $1.4 million in traceability initiatives for Atlantic Beef Products Inc. in Albany will put the Island plant on the cutting edge of beef processing technology in Canada.
    The new technology will permit the plant to trace cattle moving from the farm through the new facility and out into retail stores.
    The announcement was made at the Albany plant Monday by ACOA Minister Joe McGuire and Wayne Easter, parliamentary secretary for Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Andy Mitchell.
    ACOA is providing $920,000 through the Strategic Community Investment Fund (SCIF) for the purchase of traceability equipment for the plant. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is providing up to $500,000 in funding in support of in-plant employee training on state-of-the-art food traceability equipment and outreach activities for Maritime cattle producers who will supply the plant with cattle.
    That could include training and development of tools to manage farm production information and will assist the industry to brand its product and capture additional markets.
    "This system will be the first of its kind in Canada and will allow for the complete trace of beef products from the farm through this plant to the retail stores, giving Maritime beef products a real boost in the marketplace," McGuire said.
    "This is the beginning of a new era of excellence not only for this company but for the entire Maritime beef industry and the Canadian beef industry."
    The P.E.I. government has already invested close to $6 million in the plant, including funds for the waste treatment facility, processing equipment and the purchase of shares to be held on behalf of producers. The provincial government has also provided loan guarantees of up to $1 million a year to cover the construction costs of the plant.

MacAdam said the new traceability equipment will help to meet domestic and international trade requirements.
    "We have always taken the position that trade is a federal responsibility, and I am pleased the federal government has recognized its obligations by assisting the new plant in helping address the needs and demands of the marketplace," said MacAdam.
    "This announcement is a first-rate example of farmers and government working together to have a positive impact on the industry," said MacDonald.
    He said lobbying by the federation, P.E.I. Cattlemen’s Association and the board of Atlantic Beef Products Inc. to the federal government helped lead to the announcement.
    "Traceability is the key to helping differentiate Maritime beef from the competition," said MacDonald.
    Easter said reaching Monday’s announcement involved long, hard hours of work and negotiation on the part of all the stakeholders.
    "When (Agriculture and Agri-Food) Minister (Andy) Mitchell came down he made it a priority that wherever we had to go in terms of getting the funding for traceability for this plant then we had to go there and we’d have to achieve success at the end of the day," Easter said.
    "He looked at it from the standpoint that the producers in the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada were taking their own initiatives . . . and that government should be there to help out."

The Albany plant will be in production before Christmas and will process approximately 500 cattle per week.

other headlines on P.E.I. this month

P.E.I. NUDIST RESORT GIVEN APPROVAL TO ADD CAMOGROUND

I think pei like all farmers are quick to give the shirt off their back but now that BSE is taking our pants as well we might as well make a new venture of it

someone said "when life gives you lemons make lemonade"

we are very proud to be the first in north america to install this new traceability equipment

The first employees started last monday to sanitise the plant, the training is done ,they are ready to start!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...