• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horse meat or beef? Whats best??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We get asked all the tme to team pen-my standard reply is I've spent 10 years teaching my kids to not run cattle through the fence. We take pride in doing things right not fast.

Comment

One other thing that makes my blood boil is if someone shows up to help sort cattle and brings their 'good dog'. The first thing I tell them is to put the @#$#%$#@#$ Dog in their pickup and keep it there !

Comment

I guess it's horses(or quads or dogs)for courses. I've never worked cattle with horses, never owned a quad bike (i'm too cheap ;o)). I walk through my stock daily with my dog and my cows are used to that. We can bring 100 pairs out of the bush, across a river and into the corrals with little fuss. I've always thought that if you are consistant with stock they understand you and don't get spooked when you try to corral them. I passed a neighbour the other day who was struggling to get some big old Charolais cows out of a field - chasing them with 2 quads, and two men on foot - it was like the CM Russell painting "the stampede". The corrals he was trying to get them into contained the cows usual water trough - it looked simpler just to have shut the gate the night before and let them into water quietly the next morning. I guess we sometimes miss the wild west!

Comment

I always feel the 'path of least resistance' is best when working cattle. I don't use horses either and I sold my quad because it had been sitting in the shop for 10 years and I hadn't ridden it, so its me and the dog, and she is getting pretty old, but still watches the gates.
          My neighbours use horses as they have done for years, so to each his own.

Comment

Have to agree - to each their own.
            Except for the person who rides a horses mouth like the handle bars of a quad or the person who thinks a quad can turn like a horse or the poor dog (4-legged or 2) who is suppose to read her husband's mind ... LOL

Comment

Well I wasn't knocking anyone who uses a horse...just doesn't work for me. I agree with grassfarmers way of handling cattle for the most part. I do use a nice quiet quad to check cattle etc. and it doesn't take them very long to get used to it. You can ride right through them and they aren't disturbed...once they are used to it!
              My pastures and land are all in one block so I hardly ever have a problem treating any animal, but I will admit at times it is the old rope and willow tree method! Actually I seldom ever have to treat anything out on the field or for that matter in a corral. I doubt I've used a full bottle of liquimiacin in the last several years. Now I will admit I'm not right up on my management! Don't ever wean calves until at least late December unless they are going right on the truck! Don't have scours or bad footrot...just don't have the bugs I guess? Haven't seen any pink eye for several years and most of the cows have good udders.
              Over the years I've weeded out anything that gives me any grief...don't have any pets.
              I guess my style of management is leave them alone and don't mess with them if you can help it. Might not be the most profitable way but sure cuts down on the wear and tear on me!

Comment

Seems that it is the people with some cows in their yards that won't be paying up their bills, whereas the people with the horses do pay up their bills, if they are registered horses. That has been my experience.

Comment

I totally agree with you. A well bred working cow horse doing the cutting is poetry in motion. And the cattle learn pretty fast who is in charge of the direction that they are meant to go. The thrill of being mounted on a really good cutter is a very great feeling for the inside of a rider who knows what he is doing on that horse.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...