• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIG C in motion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG C in motion

Check out the website at http://beef-initiative-group.com/ new newsletter and upcoming meetings.

Returned from a very successful meeting in Kamploops organized by B.C. Cattle producers with invitations to CCA, BIG C, Ranchers for Fair Trade (Rick Pascal) and the B.C. provincial government.

Close to 400 producer in attendence that actually were asked to show hands on a number of major questions including Testing for export markets, packing plant infrustructure, and putting cows in a pit.

I don't have to even mention how the first two votes went, however the third was discussed more, and showed about 75 to 80 percent in favour of NOT killing cows.

B.C. Ag minister has a lot of support from the locals, however his view on bailout programs is quite different than his Alberta counterpart. Admitting problems, and out right saying that we have to find other ways out of this problem as the border will not open soon.

CCA presented their contingency plan which everyone should search out, however the face to face debate we were looking forward to with Dennis Laycraft did not occur as they sent a clerical staff member in his stead.

The local chapter of the BCCA was there to defend the CCA and show their usual knowledge and expertese. Once again, as in Alberta, not a whole hell of a lot of support from the primary producers.
    Continuing the path of arrogance while calling the producers naive may work if that path somehow shows some success.......but......
    We were welcomed to B.C. with a scathing attack on Cam in the BCCA official magazine. What do you call someone who is extremely critical of someone he deems critical?
    Step out and put your name in front of a cause and you can expect criticism. CCA members and BIG C members fit this mold the same as anyone else.

I hope that the Hay break that Cam and the BIG C crew did not dissappoint and I assure you that lots of news is yet to come. We have a media consultant on board who has been in the loop for years, and he is going to be a major help to the cause. Introduced us, by chance, to a new found friend at the Airport in Kelowna yesterday by the name of Peter Lougheed. Looks like good potential influence with the Alberta Government their. This fellow is working on meetins with Federal and Provincial Ag ministers as we speak.

CCA meets this week. Contact your reps with thoughts on testing and other stuff, they are there to represent you, not tell you what is right.

Pleased to hear the progress rpkaiser, the newsletter is a good idea because I for one was feeling out of the loop as far as BIG-C goes.
    The fight to get taken seriously by the "establisment" continues though - in today's Cattlemen Magazine Gloria Fantin states that "about 350 disgruntled ranchers have shown keen interest... in BIG-C" basing her comment on the initial meeting at Hirsche's in June. I suppose they will blame lack of comment on later achievements on "press deadlines." Why will no industry organisation or media outlet stand up and wholeheartedly support and encourage this dedicated group of people? I note also the anti-BIG C letter given prominance in the same magazine is by a David Andrews whom a google search reveals is a past chairman of Alberta Cattle Commission - now there's a surprise!

Comment

glad to see there is the moose jaw mtg. you're finally within two hours of me so i can make that. randy, if you're at cca this week try to pin them down on why we let the americans do our negotiating with japan when it is obvious they are trying to work it so that our beef will be at a disadvantage in that market. are canadian cattlemen that intimidated by the packers, r-calf or whoever that we don't fly to japan and say 'let's do business'? i have also been told that cfia is an impediment in changing our market strategy. have you heard similar? maybe they need to be told that they're supposed to be facilitating not obstructing.

Comment

Video fo the High River meeting for those who wish to view.

http://www.farm.tv/news/index.asp

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...