• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A possible beef export market...read on

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A possible beef export market...read on

You would think that Canadian troops would atleast be eating Canadian beef??

Nicolas Van Praet
    CanWest News Service
    August 11, 2004

CAMP JULIEN, Afghanistan -- Canada has scaled back its peacekeeping commitment in Afghanistan and rented out excess space at its camp to international military forces hungry for a bit of Canadian hospitality.

Canada has reduced its forces by roughly two-thirds, leaving some 800 personnel supporting NATO's International Security Assistance Force peacekeeping mission to Afghanistan.

But Canada stays on as owner of the military camp it built here in the southwest section of Kabul.

International demand for the accommodations the Canadians vacated was so great the Armed Forces could easily have rented out twice as many spots as it had, said Col. Alain Tremblay, former commander of the Canadian military contingent in Afghanistan who oversaw the base for the last six months.

It's not hard to understand why.

Camp Julien is a secure self-contained sanctuary in an unpredictable, dangerous city whose basic infrastructure has been decimated by more than two decades of war.

The camp has five kilometres of roads, more than 325 hectares of land, 3.2 kilometres of fortified walls, 750 networked computers, more than 300 telephones, modern kitchens and food reserves, purified bottled well-water, gym and recreation facilities, electrical power generators, a gas station, waste treatment system, post office, laundry, fire hall, small weapons firing range, hospital, prayer rooms, general store, vehicle maintenance and repair shops, emergency bunkers and accommodation for 1,900 people.

It took three months to set up, everything has its place, and nothing has been built without a purpose.

"No Canadian base has rivalled this in the last 20 years that's for sure," Tremblay said.

"It's almost better than my place at home."

The camp is completely autonomous, Tremblay said.

"We could theoretically shut the gates and continue on with no change in our work and living rhythm. We have sufficient reserves."

For some American soldiers of the 76th Infantry Brigade, who were unpacking their gear Tuesday in preparation for a one-year stay, Camp Julien is a welcome luxury compared to some of the accommodations they've experienced.

"We could've been in tents eating MRE's (meals ready to eat)," said Capt. Mike Simpson, a new American arrival. "This is real nice. Course we'll have to get used to not carrying our guns around all the time."

Ottawa has invested $40 million worth of infrastructure in Camp Julien, and the federal government spends millions more to run and stock it.

Ten tonnes of supplies are flown, then driven to the camp every day, and 90 per cent of what's consumed here is imported from outside the country.

MOST OF THE MEAT COMES FROM ARGENTINA, Tremblay said.

Three months ago, the Canadian Forces faced a catalogue of options for what to do with Camp Julien, including moving remaining Canadians and selling the camp.

In the end, the military decided to keep it and lease excess capacity.

Canada is renting out some 900 spots here to troops from Norway, Hungary, Belgium, and the U.S. at an approximate cost of $96 Cdn per-person, per-day, according to information provided by the Canadian Forces National Support Element.

The vast portion of that cost is food.

Canada is not making a profit on the rent, Tremblay said.

"It made sense to keep the infrastructure given the investment we made," Tremblay said.

"It would have been a bit counterproductive to sell and rebuild. The longer we can use the camp, the better return on investment we'll get."

Keeping the camp also gives the Canadians a base in the event it decides to ramp back up its peacekeeping force in Afghanistan, Tremblay said.

The renters are here for one year until Canada's current NATO commitment to Afghanistan ends next fall.

Three months to set that all up - a little ol'packing plant on Canadian soil shouldn't seem like such a big deal.

And I am by no way demeaning the work our men and woman are doing internationally - my utmost respect to the service members.

Comment

Inahurry: You hit the nail right on the head! If something is deemed in "the national interest" it is amazing how fast it can be built! The DEW line would be a good example?
      Obviously the fact that a few farmers are going broke is pretty low on the priority list? I suspect when Parliment resumes after the four month holiday, we'll be swamped with the really important things...like how to give the doctors more money, or how much dope should we let the pot heads smoke, or whether the gays should be allowed to get married! You know what I mean? The IMPORTANT stuff? Not something insignificant like commerce and trade!
      We have become a nation of fools, chasing all these "tempests in a teapot" rather than concentrating on our businesses!

Comment

Had an accidental run in meeting with ex premier Peter Lougheed yesterday at the Kelowna Airport yesterday, along with Cam. We told him what BIG C was up to, and this incouragable old man said that if he would still have been in office there would have been two packing plants built in Alberta by now, and details about management and ownership, and marketing would be going on while the bricks were being laid. Sure you can all say, "political mumo jumbo", but I do think we have found a new friend who may still have some influence in the Alberta government, all be it accidentally.

Comment

Ya right. A Liberal out of power will always tell you what you want to hear!!
          Its some kind of law!

This...from the same man who clinked his glass of champagne with Marc Lalond when agreeing to the NEP.
          Also, I once heard him herald as one of his greatest achievments the constitutional amending formula we in the west are saddled with.

Obviously foresight is 20 20 right Peter?

Comment

A Liberal? Am I missing something here? Peter Lougheed was Progressive Conservative, and although no politician can be liked by ALL the people, for ALL the issues, there were many things he did right for our province! I think cattlemen could use any and all help offered right now!

Remember what a thankless job politics really is! I don't see too many stepping up to the plate! Not even on a smaller scale, and running against our present ABP or CCA representatives!

NO ONE WANTS THESE JOBS! It is a no win situation! No matter which way you turn, your ass is always behind you!!

Comment

bombay read my post again...I gave you just two examples of Peter's "actions" that demonstrate my point.

Actions speak louder than words.

Comment

When Peter Lougheed came into power Alberta was debt free. During his time in office we enjoyed some of the highest royalties and oil and gas activity we ever had. He immediately started spending money like a drunken sailor and put Alberta in major debt! Don Getty gets blamed for a lot of Albertas debt problems but the fact is he was just trying to cope with the mess that Lougheed left him?
                Then a long comes Ralph! He did the necessary thing of cutting the spending and it worked...at least until the next oil boom hit...then he forgot all about fiscal responsibility and our spending is out of control again?
                We are almost out of debt once again. A debt that Peter Lougheed is directly responsible for. His policies were never good for Alberta...he just lucked into an oil boom!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...