• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for definitions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for definitions

Read these terms and would like to know what they mean.

Arbatage, Flatmeat, Thinmeat, Grid Cattle, Primal Cuts.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Primal cuts are those that bring the top dollar like tenderloin, prime rib - basically the back part of the animal.

Comment

The poackers develop a formula that defines how they buy your cattle. The criteria is the carcass weight and the grade. So if the carcass grades AA and the weight is 875 - 900 lb. range you get a predetermined price. If it graded AA and weighs between 850 and 875 you get a different price, etc. Some people contract their cattle early in the feeding period to sell on this grid. Therefore the packer is in control of those cattle and the feeders can go to the bank with a commitment from the packer.
      These are signed contracts and static. However even live cattle are bought by the packers reps with a certain grid in the back of his mind. Therefore all cattle a basically grid priced. Cheers

Comment

If the word is arbitrage, Websters decribes it as "the nearly simultaneous purchase and sale of securities or foreign exchange in different markets in order to profit from price discrepancies". Traders and probably packers, or other with pools of funds do it. It's often played out like short selling, a currency market manipulation.

Comment

Hope I'm not wrong on this but I believe that the term "primal cut" refers to either round ,chuck or loin.These are the cuts that leave the packing house as boxed beef before being further broken down into the retail cuts(steaks,roasts,etc.) Loin cuts would be of higher value than chuck or round.If this is incorrect I'm sure somebody smarter than me will post to the contrary!!!

Comment

Not sure I want to know what all these terms have in common, but "flatmeat" is road kill.

Comment

I believe there is a definition of thin meat at http://www.tysonfoodsinc.com/freshmeats/products/cfbeef/ThinMeats.asp

Brisket, Flank Steak, Stew Beef are listed under think meats.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...