• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

negative on 2nd US cow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

negative on 2nd US cow

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bse-enhan_surv/bse_test_results.html

Statement By Deputy Administrator Dr. John Clifford For The Animal And Plant Health Inspection Service

July 2, 2004

“At approximately 2:45 EDT today, we were notified by the USDA National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa that the inconclusive screening test sample reported on June 29, tested negative for BSE upon confirmatory testing.

“NVSL used the world-recognized gold-standard test for BSE, the immunohistochemistry test to confirm this finding.”

Comment

Question for anyone who might have better knowledge. Why is it that when our cattle were tested positive that it was neccesary to send samples to Europe to be sampled for conclusive test results? Was it that we at that time were not equipped to do the testing ourselves? Just a question, as at this time disclaimers on test kits be damned,
      2 false positives in 7000 tested more or less is a rate near 2.5 times the expected norms in Europe. Surely this is going to put the USDA under a microscope. Again it was called by others on this forum , a quiet Friday announcement. Guess this reallly should'nt bother me so much but I am a bit past center on the disturbed gage right now. One more reason to think the USA is playing mind games with the world...

Comment

That's why we're all here BWC, to banter ideas around and compare how many others are feeling the same sorts of "this doesn't add up to me" questions. We're sure glad to have you along as we all try and figure out just how dishonest they're being down there and to get them back to being straight shooters, since it's us that looses if they aren't.

Comment

BWC, The final most authoritative BSE test in the world is done at one lab in England as they are recognised as the most experienced in the field. If the American cows had come back inconclusive or probables after further testing in the US they would have been sent to England. As you say the two "Canadian" cases were finally diagnosed there - it's far handier for the Americans to keep it in house - that way world authorities can't "find the wrong result" ie find a case in a US cow.

Comment

Thank you grassfarmer!! Its always good to get proper info. I was big time PO'ed at the time I wrote asking those questions. Great timing again on the announcement. Surely someone else has to be thinking the same things I am. This path they are taking will inevitably come around and bite them in the @$$.

Comment

I thought it was interesting that in the USDA press briefing transcript, the BBC reporter asked twice rather pointedly whether the samples would be send to 'Europe' to be tested. They ignored his question the first time and finally answered that they would remain in US labs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...