• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Results

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Results

Did a DNA test with GeneStar on two of our bulls for both marbling and tenderness. Both the 8 year old South Devon bull and our two year old Black Angus bull are two stars for tenderness.The interesting fact is that neither had a marker for marbling and in all the grid cattle we've killed of the Devon bull they've been a 100 percent triple A(probably at least 100 head off him). We have 40 or 50 head to place on feed off thet Angus bull so we'll see how he shakes out-he himself triple A'ed at only 5ml of backfat so I'm not too worried. So if any of you direct to consumer guys want tender genetics give me a call.

cs - waht youre saying is quit interesting. Goes to show ya that the color of the hide dosn't have a lot to do with quality. Also may I say quietly that the CAB program is the best marketing tool or best kept secret. Let me recomend that you and your customers get involved with the Northwest Cattleman's Alliance where you'll get paid for quality not color. Check it out at www.cowboylogic.biz

Comment

WE sell all our cattle on a carcass grid right now average about $75/head grid premiums.

Comment

That's great - sounds like yous sell pure bred bulls. If so a larger alliance with youre customers would spread the benefits around, and I'll bet in a packing plant that you owned a share in, you would get considerable more premium.

Comment

Unfortunately Rusty all my bull customers are in Wyoming-Canada isn't ready for grasstested bulls quite yet lol. It is incredibly frustrating to go to a customersplace and see him packing the barley to one of my bulls so he looks nice when he turns him out. Selling bulls is such a small part of our deal that I don't agonize over it too much. Right now out of 125 bull calves on the ground there are 5 with the coveted green tag(that's the I get to keep my nuts tag). REplacement heifers were my bread and butter up till this border mess.

Comment

Cswilson:

What was the cost of these tests? Interested in doing the same thing on my own bulls as well, as well as maybe some of the more productive cows.

Comment

I got a deal through south devon ass. i'll let you know when i get final invoice.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...