• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feel like writing a letter?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone feel like writing a letter?

You know, I was listening to a news report today that came from a meeting of western governors, and told about how they were split on the issue of Canadian cattle. It sounded quite pessimistic, and got me thinking.

The only thing we have done in Manitoba that even was noticed over the border was a boycott resolution by the Stuartburn Municipality. It got a response from North Dakota almost immediately.

We personally have decided not to go south until the border is open, and tell our friends to do the same thing. Our local grazing club just cancelled a big tour in North Dakota which cost some businesses in Minot a fair chunk of change. These people need to know why they lost money.

I decided to write a letter to the mayors of Grand Forks, Minot, Fargo, among others and let them know they have lost our business. We usually go down there at least three or four times a year, or did before this BSE hit the fan.

The powers that be down there ignore us, but will they ignore their business people who are losing money because of their refusal to accept our beef? Especially during an election? Trade is a two way street, and our neighbours need to be reminded of that.

While searching for email addresses, I hit the jackpot. I found a website that has the database of mayors from all over the place. It is by the United States Conference of Mayors.

Cut and paste the following into your browser

www.usmayors.org/USCM/cgi-bin/database_search4.asp

If you or anyone you know usually travels to the States, and hopefully has cancelled until the border is open, please write to these people and let them know that their government's policy is hurting their incomes as well as ours.

I am going to say in my letter that I am missing my trips to their cities, and wish the border would open so I can go back and visit again, but until it does, I will stay in Canada. I have no ill will toward these people, but since their governing leaders seem determined to drive our industry to bankruptcy, I have no choice.

Staying home doesn't help unless those who are losing our business know what is going on.

Good for you kato, and good for Manitoba for getting at least some reaction to our problems from North Dakota. Really appreciate the mayors list as well. Personally, I've suggested to everyone who talks of vacationing to go to Mexico, since they are buying even more of our beef. The states, no, absolutly right kato, trade is a two way street ( six lanes their way and a dirt road our way!) :-)

Comment

Did a bit of math on the cancelled Grazing Clubs Tour.

Manitoba booked 25 rooms for two nights in Bismark (oops..not Minot) at $42 per night. The Comfort Inn lost $2100.00 on that one. Then there is however much fuel it takes to get a bus down there, and meals for 50 people for two days. To that, add any shopping that may have been done, and the cost of the actual seminars, which I have no idea how much that is.

I'd say we kept more than a few thousand dollars at home by cancelling.

When it was cancelled, the people from Ducks Unlimited apologized for any hurt feelings we may have had over their inconsiderate booking of an American tour.

Now we're going to Saskatchewan instead, and I know it'll be every bit as good, and probably better.

Comment

kato... you are also one of the unsung heros of our industry...thankyou

Comment

Kato-what part of Sask?

Comment

Stockholm and area.

Comment

Well if you are ever looking to find out how cattle survive and thrive on cactus (lol) and short, hard grass - come on over!

Comment

According to Statscan in 2001 the state of Montana saw 382 visits from Canadians. 1,321 night spent and 87 million dollars(Canadian) spent. I would hazard that 3/4 of this was from Albertans. Your right if you cancell your visit you better let them know.

I remember going to Disney Land as a kid it was our first big trip. We took our kids on there first big trip this spring and it was to Mexico.

I have taken a very active stance at nor buying American. As much as possible, even going to the length of letting the local grocery store know that I prefer red and green peppers from Alberta and Mexico over America and not buying any if it has a US sticker on it. All of it means nothing however if you don't let anyone know.

Comment

This is one letter I sent - to the Bismarck Chamber of Commerce.

Dear Sirs,

My husband and I are Canadian cattle producers. We have made it a regular habit to visit your city several times a year for short holidays. We have done this for many years now, and have
                  always enjoyed your city's hospitality very much.

However, we are under a lot of financial stress after the last year of having our border closed to exports of Canadian cattle, due in no small part to lobbying efforts by your very own Byron Dorgan and other like minded politicians.

We feel it is only fair that since North Dakota and the United States in general feel they do not need our cattle, then we would suppose they do not want our money either.

Groups like R-Calf and high profile politicians who are seeking re-election on protectionist policies are very quickly driving our farmers into bankruptcy. We cannot last much longer, and things are quickly becoming quite desperate here.

In fact, we have even heard talk of organized boycotts against cross border shopping by Canadians. This is an indication of just how bad things have become for us.

If we were actually following the OIE guidelines for exporting beef from minimal risk nations, the border would never have been closed in the first place, except to cows born before the feed ban in 1997.

Our question is "Why is your country treating it's closest neighbour, biggest trading partner, and supposed friend in such a callous manner?"

As friends and neighbours, we feel it's only proper to let you know that we will be staying home this year, and spending our money (what little we have) in Canada. In fact, a grazing
                  club we belong to had planned a trip to Bismark for June 23 and 24th which included two nights accomodations at the Comfort in for 50 people, tours, meals and shopping. This has been
                  cancelled out of respect for our situation, and has been rescheduled to take place in Saskatchewan instead.

Perhaps when the border is open again, and we can afford a holiday, we will be back, but until then we will not be travelling to North Dakota, and will be encouraging our friends to do the
                  same.

Thank you for your time

I got an answer from the Bismarck Chamber of Commerce.

Here it is,

Thanks for your message. While I'm disappointed that you have made a
                  decision to suspend your upcoming visit to our community because of an international trade policy, I can certainly understand your support for local livestock producers.

As you know, our elected Senators are supportive of the World Trade
                  Organization agreement that deals with mad cow disease. I'm told that both the US and Canada had originally signed this agreement. Obviously, this is a very complex scientific issue that has been discussed at the
                  highest international levels for many years.

It's unfortunate that several local politicians have suggested initiating a policy of boycott directed at their friends and neighbors. I certainly hope that calmer and more rational thoughts will prevail.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns, and I sincerely hope that you will regain the trust and confidence you had previously enjoyed while visiting our community.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Kelvin L. Hullet, President
                  Bismarck-Mandan Chamber

Now, just imagine if this guy had to spend half his day replying to Canadians? And then took that information to the next chamber of commerce meeting and passed it on to all the businesses in town?

Get the letters going... pressure from the inside could possibly be the only thing that may make this thing crack.

I forwarded this to the MCPA to see if they could help too.

Comment

Awsome letter kato! Some of my own have been sent out via email. We will definatly keep the pressure up!

Comment

Good, glad to hear it.

The more letters the better. I also sent letters to the mayors of Minot, Grand Forks and Fargo. I'll cover the places we have visited in Montana Wyoming Washington Idaho and Oregon next. The states with the anti-Canadian politicans are the most important to contact. I'm not sure exactly which ones they are, but will try and find out. I seem to remember the Minnesota senator sticking up for us.

I'm sure everyone here has vacationed in the northern states. If they all sent letters to the places they have been going to in the past, that would be soooo super!

Comment

Letters are great Kato.
                        Here's one to a fellow at the CFIA who has been kind enough to answer me a few times now.

Sergio,

Please call me Randy. Now that I have your attention, I will have a few
                        more questions for you from time to time.
                        I am a founding member and director for BIG C (Beef Initiative Group
                        Canada). This is a grass roots producer based organization designed to put
                        primary beef producers into a leadership position to help solve existing
                        trade barriers with the United States by expanding economic opportunities
                        outside of North America and improving the Canadian industry's overall
                        competitive position.
                        I will send you our Web Site address as soon as it becomes available. Our
                        group is less than 1 month old, and funded completly by ourselves, and
                        membership, so don't expect a fancy approach, but do expect to hear about us
                        if you already have not.
                        I would like to start by saying that I agree with most everything you say
                        about BSE and feel that my dream of proving that this condition is not a
                        threat to human health is a long way off. But I beleive that day will come.
                        In the mean time, as you have said; we have had an indiginous case of BSE
                        and we must deal with it. Somehow, the stand we have taken with "so called"
                        infectious material is not enough. We would say that ALL "so called"
                        infectious material be removed from the diets of any animal fed and
                        slaughtered for human consumption.
                        As far as the role the CFIA has to play in the health of animals for human
                        consuption, we beleive that that is your mandate, and that alone. Trying to
                        stall or stop industry from discussing and implementing BSE testing should
                        only be monitored by yourselves, not controlled.
                        I realize that it is hard to understand the scope of this trade problem
                        that we have encountered without standing alongside myself and my good
                        freinds at one of our BIG C Forums, but beleive me, this is very serious. We
                        need to make some 180 degree turns very very soon, and New Packing
                        facilities looking to test beef for customers that would like it that way
                        can not be held up.
                        Some friends in Manitoba said that Brian Evans stood and listened to the
                        grass roots producers gathered in Winnepeg last week. Could you please find
                        a way to have him listen to this voice as well?
                        Please realise the serious nature of this request, and please do
                        everything you can to help us avoid any beuracratic shuffle once we approach
                        you folks with an even more well molded approach. It will be soon. This
                        group is gaining support every day, and has no fear of intimidation tactics
                        from Multinational Packers or Government. We are by no means radical, nor
                        out destroy the credibility of any other group. We simply need you, and
                        everyone in Canada to realize the severity of this problem and the need for
                        quick and decisive action.

Thank you
                        Randy Kaiser
                        (403) 946 - 0228
                        Crossfield Alberta Canada

Comment

Very impressive. That's exactly what we need to be saying.

Any one else out there sent a letter yet?

We have voices, lets make them be heard.

Comment

Just got on this site , this is great gang. Have'nt started writing yet but will be on it like white on rice. This place is great... folks that actually think clearly... what a novel idea. Keep swinging people, every small step is a part of a bigger one.

Comment

We've been slugging away for a long time now. Welcome to the team.

Trying to 'deal' with our problems sure beats the alternative.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...