• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purebred breeders

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me a perfect sale for a purebred sale that deals with mostly commercial breeders tops out at about $5,000 and doesn't go below 2,000. This tells me I can still get into the top end bulls without being dicked around. The absolute worst is these sales where the top ten bulls sell for huge money then they can hardly get the rest traded. I've seen a few sales get too richy and start to lose their commercial customers. What I really find funny is purebred breeders telling me what I can pay for a bull-then when they go to buy semen from me they nickle and dime away lol.

Comment

Thanks for the valid points & thoughts. I have a couple more questions but really need to get some sleep here. Thanks again

Comment

Ask away, inahurry! Would love to visit some more on the subject! What basic breed are you running! What color/breed bulls to like to match your cows up with? How close to Regina are you. Canadian Junior Hereford show is out there the end of next month. If I drive, it'll be through Kindersly and south from Kenaston. You wouldn't happen to be along that route 'eh?

Comment

I meant to comment on your thread, directly, cswilson. I too have seen many outfits that as you mentioned for sure get all excited about one or two top calves and then can't sell the rest. Making calves that are only trendy for another purebred breeder and then the commercial guy wants nothing to do with the remainder of the calves in the sale - they won't work and he knows it, they are the kind made only for glamour and not for productivity. I understand how you feel as well about the antics of some purebred guys. Sounds to me like you've got a real great cowherd, based on your philosophy, wish I was in the market for Angus! For several reasons somedays! I do, however, feel I've got a pretty darn good hereford herd so I stay at it. Lots of repeat buyers both purebred and commercial, I sure don't take them for granted and really focus on what they tell me they need, both sides. If I ever got out of purebreds, I'd have baldies, and then I'll be looking for you cswilson, to sell me a good bull. $5000.00 sounds about right for high end commercial bulls.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...