• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disturbing information

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disturbing information

Yesterday I had to attend an update sort of class to maintain a chemical applicators certificate. Near the end of the day the speaker was from the mental health division of Alberta Health. Her presentation was how to deal with stressed out and difficult people. She told us that right now a whole lot of farmers are extremely stressed out and depressed. This in turn makes them capable of acting in a very erratic manner.
    She also told us in the Consort/Cornation area the rural population was approaching a crisis and that they were encountering a very highly abnormal incidence of attempted suicides, domestic violence, family breakdown and accidents that are a result of poor attention span. She said the use of alcohol has skyrocketed in those areas. Apparently they know this increased use of alcohol happens as people are nearing their breaking point and try to self medicate in an attempt to cope with a hopeless situation. She went on to say another sympton can be lack of memory and a complete breakdown in ones ability to handle even minor problems. This inability leads to frustration and "instant" angry outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation.
    She claimed the situation, in that area, was approaching a disaster situation where they needed a system in place to do some sort of crisis intervention...unfortunately the Provincial government is dithering and ignoring their recommendations!
    Now I found this whole thing astounding! I didn't realize things had got that bad, although I realize that is one hard hit area. I guess I always figured anyone who lived out there were "survivors" as it is a tough place to live at the best of times? I also find it amazing that our Provincial government would not do something, when the health people tell them we are approaching a wreck?

Makes me wonder cowman if you and rsomer were absolutly right when you said the states owns us and government hands are tied, unable to do "anything" to help us unless the states "gives us permission." That just breaks my heart to hear of people suffering that have counted on at least a little reliablity from the weather and trade being there for them to make an honest living and now when its not they really feel like they have no where to go. Many are likely close to retirement and don't have the ability to "learn to live all over again." I'm willing to bet their cows were their retirement and now are not only not paying for that retirement, are costing these people any nest egg they might have had. I feel for these people immensly and would like to do everything possible to help all of us out of this situation. My sometimes passionate writings are that I myself might be in a stiuation like that someday and would sure like someone looking out for me. I still have youth and energy and innovativeness and am open minded enough that I feel there are answers beyond waiting for someone to decide my fate...I will keep at anyone and everyone, whatever it takes to get us out of this. Yes, cowman the news is disturbing, I myself didn't know it was happening for sure. Around here, one still can't find pasture to rent, cropland and real estate remains at just about an all time high and sure points to more and more urbanites comeing to the "country" that is still close to the "city" for a taste of "the good life." Lucky for most of them they made their money elsewhere.

Comment

I'm starting to see the same here, people who never touched a drop becoming alcoholics, more spousal abuse in the farm community. Also noticing a trend of people who were driving 5 year old trucks last year and have now had to sell them either to free up some cash or at the bank's insistence, and now they're driving 25-30 year old trucks.

Comment

cowman... was through Coronation today hauling bulls out to pasture for my father... look like they had a really good rain... hope it brightens their spirits...

Comment

Talked to purecountry out there at Hardisty this afternoon. Over 2 inches in the past week. Thank goodness for rain.

Comment

So far that is part of the untold story. Yes, the monetary losses are staggering, but there is more at stake here than just money. The emotional, psychological and health toll this is taking is likely even far more staggering and not just for primary producer families, but all those involved in agri-business.

What is even more disturbing is the lack of attention this is getting by our elected officials. We are well over $6 billion in losses and somehow this isn't even showing up on the radar screen for them. It is a significant part of the GDP/GNP and whatever else you want to add it to.

It's amazing how one feels better when the rain comes - lets hope it helps those who really need it.

Comment

This doesn't really follow the topic of disturbing, it's more good news and sounds like everyone might be getting it. Pouring here again this morning which we sure welcome. Grasshoppers will have a hell of a time surviving the amount of rain we've had. Sounds like and I sure hope, it's raining for all of you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...