• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABP meeting

The ABP semi-annual meeting is being held on 15 and 16th June in Edmonton and I feel we have some issues to bring to their attention.
    At their most recent AGM several resolutions were passed that have not been implemented, namely,

1. Be it resolved that ABP and CCA lobby the provincial and federal governments to investigate pricing practices of the packing and retailing sector.

2. Be it resolved that ABP strike a committee of producers, industry and government to report back to the June 2004 meeting and recommend improved price discovery mechanisms and supply management arrangements that encourage ongoing investment required for a sustainable Alberta beef industry.

3. Be it resolved that ABP and CCA lobby governments to implement legislation requiring packers to report the number, price, quality and class of cattle under their direct ownership, contractual agreements, cash and formula or grid pricing agreements, such reported to be regular, timely, forward-looking and publicly disclosed in the aggregate.

4. Be it resolved that CCA lobby the federal government to investigate implementing mandatory price reporting of the marketing of cattle.

5. Be it resolved that ABP conduct a literature review on research that may link BSE to environmental factors and report findings to producers.

6. Be it resolved that ABP encourage CCA to investigate the relationship between BSE and vCJD and it's correlation to infected feed products.

7. Be it resolved that CCA lobby the federal government to refrain from penalizing tariff quota holders who have not used 90% of their imnport quota and who have not turned in their quotas for the years 2003 and 2004 in order not to encourage usage of additional imported beef.

None of these resolutions have been acted on and ABP officials seem content to ignore them altogether hoping everyone else will to.
    As they are our elected industry body I suggest they must be made accountable to their members or they should be removed from their posts.
    Please consider contacting your local ABP representative and give them a strong reminder that farmers want these resolutions acted on - that after all is why WE pay these people to represent us.

Represent us.

If we don't go out and participate, our representatives have no direction.

Is this June 15, 16th meeting open for all beef producers?

Bob Christie is the ABP rep for the Nanton/ Claresholm area and spoke of some 34 million dollars his commitee has avaiable for research, hopefully involving some of your mentioned resolutions grassfarmer. Bob had the initiative to come out to a Mark Purdey lecture and seemed very open to suggestions from the folks in attendence.

If it is not the time to find time to be present at this ABP meeting or the BIG meeting, when is the time?

Comment

grassfarmer - one has to realize how terribly busy these folks are. I mean they have meetings to go to, China, USSR, tim buck too or is it 2, oh don't forget Ottowa Washington. It's hard to be every where at once. Those high priced hotels and first class seats in the plane kinda give you deer in the head lits look. Maybe their suffering from jet lag.

Comment

Off to a different planet for just a moment.
        Does Impsco steel advertise cars, or fly around the world trying to sell them.
        Are we not the Alberta Beef producers (Impsco Steel). And is Cargil not Ford.

Comment

rpk that's an excellent analogy - I never thought of it exactly like that before. In the past I have seen farmers critisized for not giving up more funds to advertise their product - with the comparison made to Pepsi and how much they spend on advertising in comparison. If we are only producing commodities to turn over as raw materials for others to add value to why don't Cargill,Tyson and the retail stores pay all the advertising for beef?

Comment

YUP - AND WE GET NO COMMISSIONS.

Comment

YUP - AND WE GET NO COMMISSIONS.

Comment

So if Impsco Steel can mark up their raw product 50-60%, why in hell can't we mark up beef?

Oh yeah, that's right, because people won't work together. Sorry, I forgot, my bad.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...