• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imported U.S. Beef - Still Safe?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imported U.S. Beef - Still Safe?

In light of the recent ruling by U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull granting a temporary injuntion on imports of Canadian bone-in beef because Cebull said if imported beef products contain the "BSE agent," USDA's recent action "may result in a fatal, non-curable disease in humans who consume those products."

Since Canada relaxed its rules on importation of U.S. beef at the same time as the U.S. recently allowed bone-in cuts of Canadian beef, wouldn't it seem that in the name of human health and food safety that Canada discontinue further imports of bone-in U.S. beef and processed beef products immediately and until further notice.

If we are to maintain a harmonized North American beef industry nothing less could be acceptable. In fact all the nations of the world should pay heed to Judge Cebull's ruling and be wary of importing U.S. beef products because if Canadian beef is suspect, then U.S. beef is more so. After all, North America's second BSE positive cow was found in Washington and that meat actually entered the food chain. So whose meat is really not safe? I think it is the U.S. beef.

I bet Japan is watching this with great interest.

If there is ever a native American case of BSE, this will all come back and kick the R-Calfers in the butt...so hard they won't believe it.

All arguments against us will be turned back in their faces. To be arrogant enough to think that it will never happen there is perhaps the most foolish thing these guys will ever do.

Talk about setting yourself up for a fall!

I heard on the news the other day that the mutual openings of our borders were perhaps the most convincing argument for relaxing international trade. These _________ (fill in the blank with whatever word comes to mind) are determined to throw that all out the window!

Unbelievable!

Comment

Right on rsomer, Judge Cebull's ruling should hold up all beef trade in the whole world. How does one idiot's uninformed position allow him to hold the welfare of so many at state. Sounds like some of the axis of evil stories we hear every day from the U.S. government.
      Two more weeks of anarchy because oour North American system puts that much power in the hands of one man.
      Ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous.
      Not that it will make a difference, but my phone will not rest for the rest of the afternoon trying to hold up imports of U.S. bone in products etc.

Comment

little irony to my typo; state should have been stake.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly that this ruling is going to get a lot of people all worked up again when I thought most of us in the cattle industry ( from producers to consumers ) were working pretty hard at solving all the issues from safety to consumers right to purchase BSE tested meat if they want to. I too am fairly jaded that one loudmouth group has that much ability to sway its government, however, if that's the case, maybe we become a louder mouthed group and let them know their science sucks. I'm a little shocked rpkaiser, usually you're the voice of reason in here and don't seem to get much of a tone in your writings, I'd hate to be any of the guys at the other end of your phone today but thanks again for looking out for all of us and not letting that phone rest...for me I think my email won't rest today.

Comment

Isn't it funny how "science" can be used to open the border and "science" can be used to keep it closed? The fact is all the so called science of BSE is junk science! Whatever you need in the way of a solution...science can provide the answer!
            When does the consumer finally get completely fed up with the "science"? When it becomes such a big joke he throws up his hands and just gives up?
            This drivel just goes on and on, and not just in beef? Consider the Atkins diet? "Scientifically" it is supposed to be the real deal or at least the real deal for the moment? It wasn't very long ago we were being told...don't eat red meat, it is really bad for you...and now we are told it is the best thing in the world? I think common sense would lead us to not follow "fads" or the "science" of the day?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...