• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skunk in my barn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skunk in my barn

Not exactly a hot topic but the little booger scared the bejesus out of me last night and continues to reign terror tonight.

Any ideas on how to rid my barn of this menacing little sweetheart?

burn the barn

Comment

If you've got a registered gun that might be one method to consider. Depending on where you are - is there a way for you to get a live trap from an animal by-law person or spca or something like that? Of course, with the live trap you'll have to make sure you don't start smelling like the little sweetheart.

We get skunks around here all the time - with the chickens and their eggs I'm afraid that we are a major drawing card. It seems like we no sooner get rid of one than another moves in. I guess one option for us would be to get rid of the chickens, but those fresh eggs are just to important to my spouse. We can't use the live traps because we have a Jack Russell and I'm afraid we'd be pulling her out of the trap more than we'd ever get the skunk.

Good luck on your dilemma.

Comment

Try mothballs

Comment

Ask rsomer he'll start a govt. committee to study the problem, :-)

Comment

rpkaiser: I found a web site with good information at:
            http://www.fwp.state.mt.us/wildthings/livingwwildlife/livingwskunks.asp

rusty1...I don't know where that comment comes from but in any event it is uncalled for. If you take exception to a comment I have made it would be better to make that comment in the appropriate thread so I can reply directly.

Comment

rsomer lighten up - life's to short, that's what the :-) is all about, smile takes less muscles.

Comment

Put an old radio in the barn, and tune it into your favourite "head-banging" station, leave it on for a couple of nights and guarantee "ole smelly" is gone.

Comment

Sounds like it might be a plan angus, but tell me, do you then start to have problems with rebellious chickens?

Never really thought of trying a radio at night. The little devil is determined to get those eggs though. The only reason he is still here is that he doesn't really seem to bother anything else and if we got rid of him, another would just move in. The lesser of two evils I guess.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I now have a whole bunch of experiments except for the following;;;

jensend - I only live 1/4 mile from town, and 1/2 mile from the fire hall. Pretty good chance they'd have the fire out before I had skunkster.

cakadu - no my old .22 is not registered, and I'll be damned if I am going to help the government pay off their 2 billion for one little skunk.
                    Besides that, wouldn't you have to hit him just right so as to not have the fragrance in the barn for the rest of the border closure issue.

cswilson - haven't tried the moth balls yet, but thanks for the tip. I didn't know if you were talking to me yet after our little fire icon on an earlier thread.

I think I will avoid rusty's advice so as not to start a fire icon on this thread with rsomer.

rsomer - great site. I got a bit concerned when I read about the human urine theory. Couldn't really picture myself having to run like I did the other night with my #%%&^% hangin out.

angus - that radio theory sounds great. I actually love rock and roll music --- however --- the last time my wife came out to help me with a calving heifer, I must have said a bit too much, as she threw the radio at me and it no longer plays country or rock and roll.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...