• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter wheat

Is it possible to plant winter wheat in the spring say after regular seeding, and after the crop gets large enough for grazing let the cattle have at it until there is enough time for regrowth going into winter. Will one be able to take a wheat crop the following year?

Magpie

The answer is yes. You can even underseed it with barley and silage the barley and have fall grazing. The wheat crop will depend on how well it goes into winter and winter kill.

Comment

Rodb What rates would I use of the wheat and barley? I never have grown winter wheat before? Which time in the spring would be best to plant? Are you saying plant barley first than silage than seed winter wheat or seed both at the same time? These seem like dumb questions but this is new territory for me.

Comment

We have been using winter Triticale, but the principle is the same. Seed your barley and winter wheat together. If you want to harvest wheat in the next year you have to make sure that you have enough plant population to make a stand. You might want to watch your barley rate as you don't want to choke the WW out.

If you want to seed WW by itself there is no problem palnting after you get the rest of the crop in. Once it gets established you can graze it as long as you don't stress it to hard going into winter.

You might want to post this message in crop production or forages and see if some of the moderators have some more exact rates.

RodB

Comment

Magpie

I would use your normal seeding rates for your area. If you would normally seed 2 bu., seed 2.

Comment

Talk to Graham at Blue Tag Seeds in Lacombe, he peddles winter triticale and knows people who use a system like you propose, he custom blends barley, oats and silage peas(?) with winter trit. For a salesman he is pretty accurate 403-782-6169

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...