• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bred cow sale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bred cow sale

Went to a bred cow sale yesterday. Heifers seemed to be fairly decent. Around that $1000 mark with a high of $1200 on a group of big black heifers. The cows ranged from $500 to $790 with the $500 ones being pretty common to the $790 ones being big young char cross cows in excellent shape.
    Real old dogs got down as low as $140.
    It is always interesting going to the sale at Innisfail, Alberta as Jack Daines(the owner) always gives a few speeches about the government, the market, and the Japanese! He is an excellent promoter for the industry and you usually come away feeling optomistic about the whole thing.

Recent sales in Veteran, Stettler and Killiam have placed migrade bred hef just under 1$/lb. There sure isn't many bred cows going to town. I had 4 young cows calve about 4-months late. What are young pairs selling for?

Comment

I stopped in at a purebred Charlais dispersal sale yesterday and the cattle sold very well. They definitely were quality cattle but I wondered if anyone buying would ever get their money back. It seems like a lot of people have a lot of money to risk! I sat besides a young couple who were buying quite a few and he said he needed to get rid of some money he made in the oil patch or else the government would get it through taxes!
      I don't know what young cows with small late calves are selling for. You just don't see any being sold! I suspect most people are holding everything they can afford to feed in hopes things will turn around by next year. It could make for a very large calf crop next year. We certainly don't need a drought next year if we have all those extra mouths to feed?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...