• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mad Cow Not in Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know the Lab is the Prov. Govt. lab in Edmonton (original). Let's also recognize that the "herd of origin" was not found until some time in October. (so much for a tracing system) DNA testing does NOT need a dead animal to test -for one, neither does it take 5 mo. to get DNA testing and matching done. Those herds died for one reason only and that was to impress the WORLD. did it work? It's wime for an independent audit - may we should all email W-5 and tip them off.

Comment

Rusty 1: Wasn't the whole point of slaughtering those 2700 cattle about the chance that they might have been in contact with this cow and that they could have been fed the same feed? I don't think it was that they were necessarily related?
      And in reality how could the traceback be perfect when we've only been tagging for about three years and mandatory tagging only since July 1, 2002?

Comment

just our point. They could not of traced the cow and they didn't because the cow was inported from usa. I belive when the catfish farmer first started to raise cattle. Just a thought.

Comment

Well Alicia I think he bought all his cows in Canada. But perhaps you could be right she originated in the US.
          I remember a group of black heifers from the US being sold in the local mart. They announced it in the auction ring. I asked one of the employees of the mart why anyone would bring heifers from the USA way up here to sell. His reply: They came in on the restricted feeder program and the lot decided they could make more money selling them as breds!
          So I guess so much for the restricted feeder program! I guess they never monitored it too good?

Comment

And now they want to extend it to year round? I think not!

I hope the CFIA sticks to their guns. We've already seen how trustworthy the parties involved are.

Comment

I guess its just about a done deal. On tuesday Lyle Vanclief said he would start the process to open the border to american feeders year round. If our feeders could go south I don't see any reason why the american feeders shouldn't be able to come north. As long as the rules are the same for both sides. I actually think that the canadian government has been using the blue tongue and anaplasmosis issue as a way of keeping those yankee feeders out even though the science did not support this. After all mosquitos don't stop at the us border so if these diseases where going to be a problem they would be here already, would they not?

Comment

Topper: I don't know. Hopefully our government boys are right up on this and will do the right thing. Rsomer gives a pretty convincing argument why they should be kept out.
                What bothers me about this whole thing is it almost seems like the fix is in! Like the Americans see this as a golden opportunity to force open our borders to these cattle. I get a little leery of the whole thing when certain American states won't accept blue tongue cattle? But they expect us to?
                Now I consider Neil Janke a decent man who has the best interests of the cattle industry at heart. But maybe we don't know the whole deal? Maybe he has to cut this deal to get the border open for our cattle? We just don't know.

Comment

Part of opening the border should include testing before they are allowed in.

We live near the TB zone in Manitoba, and cattle from there have to have permits before they can be moved.

I know two brothers who live across the road from each other. One can't sell cattle without a permit, and has had his whole herd tested twice, and will once again before spring. His brother, who's house he could hit with a rock if he wanted, doesn't have to do anything. Why is one herd at a higher risk than the other? No real reason, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I say an international border is a fairly big line.

If we take on an unnecessary disease, we will only have more borders closed to us. Is it worth it? I think it's a decision that needs input from more than just one segment of the industry.

This sort of coercive tactic is also pretty standard operating procedure in the States. The entire government system works on "you do this for me, and I'll do that for you" from the top down. Just watch the lobbying and wheeling dealing that goes on to pass just about any bill down there.

Comment

I still think that these diseases would be here already if they are transmitted my mosquitos. After all if a herd in North Dakota has the disease there could be a canadian cow across the fence from it. At a meeting the other day I asked Allan Preston, who is our chief vet in manitoba, if he thought there where any scientific reasons for this ban and he seemed to think it was more politcal than scientific. So if we are willing to use lame health issues to keep out the american feeders, why would we expect the yanks to do anything different. I'm not saying that health issues shouldn't be used to restrict cattle movement, I'm just saying that if you are going to do that you better have the science to back it up. And Kato I agree that the producers in the tb zone are getting a raw deal, another case of phoney science used to sweep a problem under the table.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...