• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSE tests?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if, as was quoted by the statisticians, that if there was one case of BSE found in Canada, there had to be others? Testing every head would increase the probability of find more BSE cases to 100%. What would that do to our market?

Comment

Testing is a way of ensuring that we are providing both the checks and the balances to ensure our food supply is safe. If we are testing every animal there is the risk we may find more cases. Our customer however is also assured that product that has past the test is the only thing that goes into our food supply.

Firstly, if we have a valid test on every animal our customer has some assurance. Second, if we have a trace back system that goes with these tests, we can do trace back in seconds rather than days! (Chances are the trace back would be done before any news was released) Third containment could be easily managed, especially if we had a real sound management plan in place for containment.

I believe all of these things can be done together, and our friends in the EU happen to agree with me. They also agree that the US and Canada has balked at implementing such measures. Probably because many of the people in processing, testing and government can't see how this is possible to implement into "THEIR SYSTEM". All I can say if their system doesn't work than the lest we can do is look at how we can make it work!

I am not as concerned with their system as I am with "OUR" system. The bottom line for "OUR" system is that the producer needs to be treated fair! We need to market product and we need to have a possibility for a future for our family and us!

At the moment I don't believe the focus has been on individual primary producers. Government, academics and our own associations have a perception that big business is where it's at! I for one think big business will look after big business! That's it in a nutshell! As individual producers, grass roots front line people we are going to look after ourselves! Don't count on the government, don't count on the academics, and don’t count on your associations. A functioning grass roots organization is going to have to coordinate the efforts of individual producers to accomplish our goals.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need the expertise to assist us get there, but we have found enough experts are willing to help and are getting tired of working in a system that is unfair.

If we find enough grass roots guys to work with us across Canada we could see a national grass roots program develop sooner rather than later. Alberta has this happening now, and enough of the foundation is there to make this happen. There is also enough interest coming from some of the other provinces to initiate discussions on the possibilities of a national program.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...