• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolled or Whole Oats for Cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled or Whole Oats for Cattle

It looks like I will have lot's of oats to feed to both my cows,calves and yearling bulls this winter.

I have usually rolled oats for my calves and fed rolled barley to the cows in winter. I am wondering if just feeding whole instead of rolled will be o.k. It sure would save me alot of work and I do not mind having to feed extra as long as it's not to much and that they get something out of it.

Anybody have any suggestions or advice would sure help!!!

My experiences with rolled and whole oats found little difference, but I found that the whole barley wasn't absorbed as well and more whole kernals came out then with rolled barley.

Comment

15444 - is absoultly right - the decision is based on the cost of rolling and the efficiency gained. Therefore it totally depends on the value of the feed. The "experts" tell us that even the visable grain that has passed through has had the standard feed values digested. Now if you're prepaired to recycle some of it you're free to do so.

Comment

I've to heard whole barley is not as good as rolled. I found a web site from North Dakota saying with heavy oats you only reguire about 5% more whole to get the same results as rolled, it hardly seems worth all the hassle and cost for that!!!

Comment

Then number that sticke in my head after listing to numerous "experts" is 15%. It is also contingent on the lbs. feed per head per day. In other words, for a finishers on a high barley ration it is more important and a cow or backgrounder on 5 lbs. per day it is not so critical.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...