• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XL Foods Announces Temporary Layoffs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XL Foods Announces Temporary Layoffs

EDMONTON, Oct. 13, 2012 /CNW/ - XL Foods Inc. announced the temporary layoff of approximately 2,000 employees at the Brooks, Alberta facility today.

"It is with deep regret we have announced the temporary layoff of 2,000 employees today. For the past three weeks employees have received full pay on their 32 hour weekly guarantee with few scheduled shifts available. We have paid our valued team members out of a commitment to our workforce and to assist them through this difficult time." said Brian Nilsson, Co-CEO of XL Foods.

XL Foods has worked with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency ("CFIA") through the issuance of a temporary license to demonstrate the implementation of enhanced protocols. CFIA has not provided a definitive timeline for relicensing of the Brooks, Alberta facility. It is this uncertainty that has forced the temporary layoffs. We look forward to actively working with the CFIA to bring this to a viable and timely resolution to allow the plant to recommence operations.

Brian Nilsson reinforced "XL Foods is committed to the best interests of the cattle industry, our employees, the city of Brooks and all affected by the idling of the Brooks facility. We are hopeful that the CFIA will bring this to a swift and viable resolution."

XL Foods appreciates the dedication and effort that all team members have demonstrated throughout this stressful time. The return to work for our employees and the processing of cattle for the Western Canadian beef industry will remain our top priority.

SOURCE: XL Foods Inc.

A little pressure for the CFIA?
    I don't blame NB....pretty hard to pay out a $120K a week payroll when nothing is coming in?
    Maybe CFIA should get off their duffs? If the plant is clean and the "gold standard" regulations are in place....get it open! I really doubt any of the CFIA beurocrats are working on the weekend and I'll bet they took off the long weekend as well.

Comment

Putting the onus on the CFIA to set a timeline for opening the plant is a nice diversion. Nilsson's still don't get it...THEY alone are responsible for the delaying of the re-opening of the plant. It was their filthy mess that started the whole unfortunate shut-down.

They are now allowed to work on those 5,000 carcasses in the plant. Get those inspected and disposed of and maybe, just maybe the plant will get the go-ahead for more killing. Nilsson, et al dropped the ball now it is time for them to show that they can play the game according to the rules.

I feel NO sympathy or empathy for them whatsoever. If the "line" has to run at half-speed for the next while...so-be-it, maybe they'll learn something from the experience. Those "nice platitudes" mouthed by Brian are just PR bull****, time to see some positive action on maintaining proper procedures and protocols.

Comment

Would be a good time Monday morning for Ritz, CFIA, NB and union to put on an open town all meeting in Brooks. To answer employees/people concerns.

Would bet not one is man enough to show up. LOL

Comment

Wrong wilagro, wrong. The reason that the plant has not opened yet is that the CFIA has not provided NB with the list of things that they must do to achieve compliance. Tough to do what the regulator tells you must be done to achieve compliance when the regulator itself cannot figure out what it wants you to do.

NB no doubt contributed to the problem in the first place, but the failure to solve the problem now rests wholly with the CFIA.

As for the carcasses in the chillers, my info is that the CFIA is taking so long trying to figure out what it will take to allow them to be boxed and shipped that NB has decided to render the whole lot. World's safest and tastiest dog food coming up.

It beats me why anyone would try to make a go of it in this screwed-up regulatory environment. Randall, you may want to make a note of that and wait for a change in government.

Comment

Cameron, I understand your distaste for CFIA from
            previous dealings with them but someone is not
            telling the truth here. Brian Nilsson made a statement
            3 days ago that they had met all the requirements set
            for them by CFIA. Here is the press release:

http://www.globalnews.ca/entertainment/health/xl f
            oods says safety problems fixed at alberta beef
            plant regrets illnesses/6442730403/story.html

Now you are saying that they are forced to lay off
            workers because they have not even been told what
            to correct yet?
            Laying off workers after heroically paying their wages
            for 3 weeks while they weren't working - well actually
            the license was pulled on Sept 27th so that's only 16
            days ago total - including 5 weekend days and a bank
            holiday. Presumably they weren't working 7 days a
            week?
            Probably just using the workforce as pawns like they
            did at Moose Jaw.
            The "poor little XL" card gets no sympathy from me
            and I'm sure many other ranchers.

Comment

Read for content, Iain.

"The owners of the Alberta plant involved in the massive recall of beef products says it has fixed all the problems that forced food safety officials to shut it down."

"Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz says the pre-inspection is only the first of a multi-stage process XL Foods must go through before it will be allowed to resume operating and no date has been set for it to reopen."

CFIA has yet to come up with the rest of the requirements in the "multi-stage process". Tough to meet requirements when you have not yet been told what they are. Those with strong psychic powers please apply.

NB screwed up initially, of that I have no doubt. However, the CFIA has now taken over the screw-up department.

When you next read that the carcasses have been rendered, perhaps you will share your explanation why NB would throw away that much money for no apparent reason? Insurance? Love of pets?

I am neither an NB apologist nor an anti-CFIA fanatic, but the whole truth is the best basis to motivate positive change IMHO.

Four years after the CFIA brought in their new Compliance Verification System (CVS), only a small fraction of the inspectors at Brooks were trained in CVS. There was no communication plan in place to alert inspectors at other stations of a positive test so that they could institute proper procedures.

NB gave the CFIA a list of some 1,800 recalled products. CFIA announced them in bits and pieces over 5 days apparently to make it look like they were vigilantly discovering more problems as their investigation progressed. Never mind the reputational damage to NB.

I can protect myself against NB (and Cargill for that matter) by buying locally (which I do - no offense but I prefer barley-fed beef). How can I protect myself and my family against the CFIA?

You take on the NBs of the world, and more power to you. My task is likely far more futile - bring accountability to the regulator.

semper ad meliora

Comment

If it's impossible to run a plant to CFIA standards as
                you claim how do Cargill manage at High River and in
                Ontario? how does the upstart Canadian Premium
                Meats at Lacombe manage? - they built a plant with
                their own money and are meeting tough EU import
                standards.

Comment

Iain for God's sake please open your ears. The CFIA has not yet provided NB with their requirements to reopen Lakeside. That's it. That's all.

Where in God's gracious name does the rest of your diatribe come from?

Comment

Doubt that management or any of the Nilsson's are taking any wage reductions.....just like the cattle producers.....the ones least to blame are the most effected.

Comment

Who are we to listen to though Cameron? I don't have
                      an inside connection with Nilssons but in that link I
                      posted Brian Nilsson stated they "had completed all
                      the corrective actions the agency requested" and
                      "fixed all the problems that forced food safety
                      officials to shut it down."
                      On the TV news tonight they said the results of the
                      pre-inspection were to be announced as early as
                      tomorrow.
                      So if you've done all the work that was asked of you
                      in terms of compliance as he claims why lay off the
                      workers before the outcome is known?
                      Something sounds fishy to me.
                      You are the only person I've heard mention that CFIA
                      hasn't spelled out the requirements yet.

Comment

They haven't spelled out anything.
                        They talk about a next stage, but don't say what it
                        is, or how or when it will be rolled out.

(Working on an article right now.)

There was some E. coli at the plant, yes. An initial
                        recall, yes. And then about a week into it, the whole
                        thing went off the rails, and that runaway train is
                        still going.

When it comes to this issue, everyone needs to
                        separate their personal feelings about the Nilssons
                        from what appears to be some very bizarre
                        circumstances surrounding this recall.

The bottom line here is that if this was mishandled,
                        if the recall isn't science-based, or if the CFIA
                        bungled this, as an industry and as a nation, we
                        need to know how, and why.

Having covered the contaminated feed wreck the
                        CFIA presided over in 2007 and knowing Cam's
                        statement of claim... let's just say I strongly doubt
                        that E. coli was the biggest problem in that plant.

Comment

Iain you will, as always, believe whatever you choose to believe. As Polonius said:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
                          And it must follow, as the night the day,
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Yup, NB "completed all the corrective actions requested" and then were told that more 'corrections' were likely to be requested following the pre-inspection. Details from the CFIA to follow. Timeline unknown.

So, at the end of the pay period NB laid off the workforce rather than pay them to sit on their hands with no end in sight. Given that the plant has been closed for two weeks now one might expect the CFIA to have a handle on the full gambit of corrective measures they require in order to reopen the plant, but apparently they do not.

Perhaps the CFIA are waiting for the Americans to tell them what further corrective measures might be required when they do their audit. I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As usual the working stiffs get the dirty end of the stick.

Comment

CFIA is claiming on the calgary herald website that XL halted the line halfway through the 5000 head.

Oh god what a cluster....
                            I'd like to believe someones going to be held responsible for this mess, but I know who'll be paying for it.
                            (neither the feds/cfia or XL)

Comment

These USDA inspections have been in the works for
                              some time now, and if I am a healthy-functioning
                              food inspection agency, I'd really want this plant up
                              and running to show that I know how to handle a
                              recall, how to inspect a plant, and how to ensure a
                              plant is in safe working order.

Having your largest plant sit idle as the domestic
                              cattle business slides off a cliff is not a feather in
                              anyone's cap.

Analyzing the number of illness per million pounds
                              of recalled beef reveals how overreaching this recall
                              truly is.

This one recall is more worthy of an X-Files episode
                              than all the cattle mutilations and crop circles put
                              together.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...