• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XL Foods Responds To Union Allegations.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XL Foods Responds To Union Allegations.

XL Foods Responds to Union Allegations.

EDMONTON, Oct. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - XL Foods has an open door policy for its workers and has always welcomed their input on plant operations.

Co-CEO Brian Nilsson says, "I am saddened that the UFCW has chosen to attack the workmanship of its many members. We have extensive training programs for new workers and hold our workers in the highest regard for their abilities."

XL runs its line speeds at less than industry average for a plant of this size and within regulatory requirements.

We are always open to discussions with our employees and the union at any time on the facility and its operations.

SOURCE: XL Foods Inc.

?????? Source: XL Foods.

I'd like to see a signature on that. With a name, and a person behind it.

Comment

So we've heard from Rick Pascal and we've heard from XL.. Here's a point of view from the CFIA. It's a presentation to the Senate.

http://www.foodsafetyfirst.ca/2012/10/02/briefing-to-senate-committee-on-food-safety/

Comment

"Because of the pace of production and other factors, those with CVS knowhow at the XL plant did not always share the results of CFIA conducted CVS tasks and tests so other inspectors would have no idea if there was a problem that required heightened vigilance.

This situation is not isolated to XL.

This is yet another example of industry self-policing gone wrong because the CFIA is not adequately resourced to verify compliance."

Say what? They couldn't organize a communication plan? What in the blue blazes adequate resources were required? Smart phones, maybe?

I read this as an open admission to the Senate that they have no idea how to cope and are blaming Harper and Ritz.

While I agree wholeheartedly that government cutbacks and increased self-policing are not the way to go, I am very reluctant to throw money at the folks at the CFIA given their admitted inability to organize and prioritize. It would be like increasing the budget for the Three Stooges. You'd get colour instead of black-and-white, but the storyline would be the same.

Get rid of Ritz, and Harper too while you are at it. Get rid of the top third of the CFIA. Restructure, reorganize and re-fund food safety and maybe, just maybe, we can get this trainwreck back on the rails before we wind up with a single desk for the simple reason that there are no export sales.

Comment

Here here:-)

Comment

Here here:-)

Comment

I heard the union boss on the radio....wow! The
              gloves are off the street fighting has begun.

Comment

The Lakeside plant has a long history of labour strife....long before Nilssons bought it.
                They have always treated their employees poorly....which is why they can't get anybody to work there! They have to bring in "captive supply" immigrants to do the work.
                A packing house is a dirty, tough place to work. I'd rather be a roughneck on a drilling rig in a -40 winter than work at a packing plant!

Comment

We have two large hog processors near us. One is very local. Working in them is also a dirty tough job. Most of the workers in our town are from the Phillipines, Korea and Russia/Ukraine.

They seem to be treated well. I've heard no complaints about working conditions. They know it's hard work, but it's also a way into the country. As soon as their time has been put in, they're gone to the city, and more come in.

We've become a revolving door for immigrants here, but the town has benefited, and everybody seems to get along just fine. Some of the workers even have part time jobs on the side, and can compete with anybody as far as quality of work is concerned.

It is possible for packing plant workers to be treated well, and become good citizens. I see it every time I go to town.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...