• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion: New Strategy, Collaboration Needed For Canada's Beef Sector

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion: New Strategy, Collaboration Needed For Canada's Beef Sector

New strategy, collaboration needed for Canada’s beef sector

By David McInnes

Canada’s beef sector is at a tipping point. Although the sector generates $6 billion in farm gate sales and represents 15% of the country’s total agricultural production, we are at risk of becoming a net importer of beef with the United States.

Our beef and cattle trade with the US is vital but our trade balance is worsening. In 2002, Canada’s balance of trade with the US was $1.4 billion in value. By 2011, it was just $42 million.

Eighty-five percent of Canada’s beef and cattle exports go to the US. After processing south of the border, higher-value beef is then exported back to Canada. In 2011, our exports of beef to the US averaged $3.74/kg whereas average beef imports from US were $6.55/kg.

Moreover, the Americans are using Canadian supply – known as “backfilling” – to expand their own beef exports. Canada is aggressively opening up new export markets but the US is recording triple-digit beef export growth in part because of Canada’s supply.

Why does this matter? It is about how we will create economic opportunities in the future.

There is a growing recognition here that we can’t optimize the domestic, American and other foreign markets at the rate we are shipping cattle and beef to the US. This is made more challenging given that Canada’s national herd size has declined some 20% since 2005.

While the data can fluctuate, beef is also facing declining consumption in Canada – 10% over the past decade. The trend affects many countries, although (importantly) Asia is consuming more beef.

Consumers are choosing other proteins. Responding to changing consumer preferences is pressing. Consumers want to know more about the food they eat. Price is important. But consumers are making protein choices on the basis of perceived healthfulness, environmental considerations and animal handling practices.

Canada’s beef sector has a choice. Remain primarily a commodity beef player or strive to be more of a value-added supplier driven by consumer demand.

A new strategy, centred around collaboration, is needed. From producers to retailers, each beef supply chain needs to better utilize and share information on beef performance, grade and yield, market characteristics and consumer preferences. Other players are integral to support this pursuit, such as in the feed sector, information-technologies, veterinarians and nutritionists.

This also involves demonstrating “trust”. Consumer expectations are rising. People want to know more about the origin of the beef they eat, what the cattle were fed and whether antibiotics were used, among other concerns. Canada’s reputation for safety, care and quality is saleable and we need to fully exploit these aspects.

There is a lot of activity here and abroad to embrace these ideas. The question is whether we are being systematic enough about it so we can beat out our competitors and achieve premium prices for the effort.

Agri-food players in other countries are showing the way. The Australians have reorganized their meat and livestock sector to better respond to consumer and market opportunities across their supply chains. The US dairy industry has launched a major effort to lower carbon emissions and improve productivity by working better together on sustainability objectives. One of the largest integrated beef operations in the UK (Blade Farming) maximizes carcass values, reduces production costs and delivers consistent beef products to its major retail customers, McDonald’s and Tesco.

The Canadian beef sector has also been taking steps to better position itself in this changing marketplace. For instance, the Canadian Angus Program and the Ontario Corn-Fed Beef Program are expanding their reach by relying on cattle identification practices and protocols to promote quality attributes with packers and retailers who, in turn, can assure consumers of the source and quality of their respective beef products.

These examples show that targeting opportunities requires collaboration and a clear focus on strategy. Beef supply chain leaders and their partners need to come together to assess what they can achieve together. A robust dialogue on the objectives is needed. The sector’s future prosperity depends on it.

David McInnes is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute (CAPI). For a copy of CAPI’s new report, Canada’s Beef Food System, visit www.capi-icpa.ca.

It's a 108 page report. This is going to take a while.

Comment

Saw the article in Alberta News today. Looks to me
      like its a lot of hot air about nothing. How can we
      change the industry when we have 2 packers doing
      90% of the kill and having no interest in doing
      anything other than shipping commodity beef into
      the US. With their captive supply arrangements and
      no competition in the marketplace they will always be
      able to buy Canadian cattle cheap enough to make a
      margin.
      No-one else will build a new plant of any size - why
      would they? We are in a corner and there is no easy
      way out for the bulk of the commodity beef industry.

Comment

Hey Randall, did you see this? It sounds to me like them dang 'Mercuns are buying up our cheap beef and using it to leverage their own supply for export!

They couldn't be, could they?

Comment

Collaboration,focus on strategy,value chain? What are these words doing in an article about the commodity called Canadian Beef? LOL

This is typical of the kool aid poured at an ABP meeting. Yes those same ABP/CCA folks who I fully expect to jump to the defense of the XL boys and maybe even try to get them some federal assistance. While Cargill jumps for joy at the price drop for fed and non fed butcher cattle. Whoopee. Insurance will pay for the recalled shit dumped in the ditch and even the NIL bros will now have to pay less for non owned cattle. Have not noticed a huge discount for trim in Calgary yet... Typical commodity game.

Beef is food people and not a commodity the way it is treated by most everyone in this industry. Until we all take a little more responsibility for supplying the consumer with a healthy nutritious meal rather than simply going through the motions to "make some money", we will never see any change.

Yes real beef chains are needed and participation is key from grassroots to retail. Including a plant gaucho (poke)Almost impossible in the current system.

Time to "care" about what we are doing. The consumer likes the word and the feeling, and will even "pay" for it.

"We" are allowing it. "We" are feeding this screwed up system as long as "we" grow cattle and sell them to any buyer who feeds this commodity bull shit chain.

I have to say "we" cause I chose to sell a few cull bulls to Lakeside this summer as well. Got a price from the buyer and collected 20 cents a pound less when the cheque came... Just because. LOL I keep swearing I will never deal with this system again and had to do it "one more time" to prove to myself what a fool I can be,,, LOL

Someone is gonna wake up and see the merit in our executive summary and business plan soon and all of this will be healed...LOL Okay - the first part of that statement is real, the healing is gonna take years.

By the way - to all the NB sympathisers out there. I would never have wished for something this horrible to happen, especially since we all know who will pay the ultimate price in the end anyway... All except maybe those damn insurance premium increases..LOL

Comment

Seems to me the same old story we've been hearing for about 20 years?
            Value chain, info up and down the chain, collaboration, etc. etc.
            Nothing concrete. No real action.
            I guess we'll just keep going down the same path?
            You boys who are doing the alternative thing might be the only guys left in the future.

Comment

I read about twenty pages of that 108 page pdf file and decided that it was all gobbledegook bullshit and stopped as it was giving me a headache.

When they talk about stakeholders co-operating on strategy, I lose interest rather quickly. I guess we know that THAT will never happen don't we?

If there is ANY co-operation you can be damned well sure it is not in the interest of the primary producer...the men/women who are the first step in this so-called "value chain".

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...