• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan's food safety concerns

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan's food safety concerns

Cesium contaminated meat discovered (no kidding) and consumed in Japan:

article:
    www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-14/beef-contaminated-by-radiation-intensifies-food-safety-concerns-in-japan.html

video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWoYByoxUs

The world's biggest nuclear reactor disaster and the government sits back and says "eat up".... Should ask where the TEPCO bosses are getting their beef from.

"The Fukushima government office plans to check all cattle farms in the prefecture to find out if any of them gave contaminated material to their animals, Hidenori Ohtani at the livestock division said yesterday by phone." quote from BB article.

The government is spinning this to be the "farmers fault".... because the farmer is feeding his cattle contaminated food? Everything and everywhere in that 30 km zone is going to be HOT/radioactive... how are the farmers supposed to NOT feed their animals the radio-active fall-out from the TEPCO disaster zone.

..... la la la, they paved over Japan and put up a parking lot......

Goes to show you that the 2 old principles

What goes around, comes around. &

The chichens ome home to roost, still apply. Tragic

Comment

A lot of radioactive material has also washed into the ocean, and will surely end up in fish as well. What a mess.

I wonder how many other nuclear plants have been built on fault lines around the world? This won't likely be the last time we see such a disaster.

Comment

No fault lines needed for this type of nuclear disaster... the simple fact is the plants "lost cooling capability". This can happen at ANY nuclear reactor facility. The spent fuel pools are just as bad as the reactors (they need constant cooling also).

At Fort Calhoun, Nebraska and Cooper as well, the Missouri river has flooded the power stations causing big concerns. While Fort Calhoun's reactor may have been shut down for refueling, that does not mean that a significant problem couldn't occur if they lost cooling abilities. Also, they have spent fuel on site that must be cooled, and even once it is moved to dry storage, it must have air circulated around the casks for over 10 years... nice.

Fukushima TEPCO nuclear disaster was a simple failure of the cooling system... caused by, Yes, an unusually massive/high tsunami but this doesn't mean that a loss of power to the cooling system couldn't just happen from other mishaps. Chernobyl was a "drill" to test the system... and it went haywire.

My point is that even if a coal fired plant blew up sky high.... the consequences to the environment would be a pin prick compared to the long lived radioactive contamination that now pollutes the entire northern hemisphere of this planet. The Japanese reactors are still leaking radiation into the air and sea....

The nuclear industry and the media conspired after the March 11 disaster to cover-up and manage the media/news getting to the public.... months later some of the truth is out. My friend Leuren Moret was proven to be right from the get go... as as early as 4 hours after the loss of cooling the reactors were initiating melt-downs (3 separate reactors)....The nuclear industry is full of liars that would sell their first born and their mothers for their job and company... sick souls!

The total incompetence of the authorities immediately after the tsunami at Fukushima's reactors is an on-going saga. Our own guestapo (CFIA) are no better.... They should have to eat the spoils of this disaster... then maybe we'd see some testing being done....NOT!

Comment

An interesting program on OASIS HD tv if you get it. Called "The Wolves of Chernobyl" (or something similar) 25 years now since the Chernobyl disaster and there has been an incredible transformation back to a natural state. No humans live "in the zone", but the wildlife is thriving.

Comment

I should add that although the animals are radio-active, they don't appear to be deformed (they checked newborns in dens and nests of smaller rodents and birds) The fish from the river were enormous - they claim that was because no one was fishing them, aside from bear and eagles and the like. The fish were radio-active, but the things eating them didn't appear to be affected. I don't know what it all means, but I found it quite fascinating.

Comment

Accidents happen in any industry,however This "industry" has the potential to destroy the whole world!
              The coverup in Japan is a scandal, but typical of many governments when it comes to dirty technology? How can the nuclear industry hope to ever sell their deadly product if people know the truth?
              In Alberta our energy minister Ron Liepert, likes to downplay the Japan wreck as something that could never happen here and stresses nuclear power could still be on in Alberta! One thing about Ron Liepert...he's never met a corporation he didn't like! If there is money to be made, he's all for it and to hell with the people!

Comment

There is a very serious threat that nuclear power is planned for Alberta. SCN Lavalin aka Alta Link...aka Bruce Power... just bought Atomic Energy Canadas "commercial division" for the sale of nuclear power plants et al. They want to pollute Alberta because it is an Oasis, with lots of fresh clean water, food and other resources. Nuclear power is about two things... making money at the expense of the environment and people... and depopulating the world.

Interesting things happening in Chernobyl area, and other areas with radiation contamination... while there "appears" to be a wide swath of animals populating the contaminated areas... in fact, there is fertility problems... the "colorful" birds are disappearing and the genetic effects might take a few generations to really start to show up in the visible wildlife... Chernobyl was only 25 years ago... time will tell... an there isn't one dang thing that we can do to remedy the situation (once the radioactive cat is out of the bag, there is no putting it back).

Watch "Chernobyl Heart" (you tube) if you want to see some of the "effects" of their nuclear holocaust.

Comment

I have no doubt about the dangers of nuclear power. I too am very concerned. This program on OASIS had a different slant - propaganda? perhaps. Hope? - I don't know.

Comment

littledoggie I'm glad to hear you are also concerned about nuclear power, to many people only hear the industries' and governments' propaganda.

You may want to watch this you tube video which shows how the nuclear industry and government (UK in this case) colluded to keep information from the public (re: fukushima) and to down-play all the problems in Japan:

"Governments/Corporations Cover ups Confirmed : Los Alamos, Fort Calhoun, Fukushima 7/3/2011"
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5KYyw5jYg

apprx. 6 minutes long.

Comment

Thank you, I will try and have a look at it - computer woes.
                      Just to explain a little that the OASIS program touched on: Scientists went into the zone and radio collared a bunch of wolves. This area used to be an enormous swamp that even the hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't get across. During the Stalin era the whole area was ditched and turned into agricultural land. Anyway, the scientists tracked the wolves and took note of what they were eating and how radio-active the kill was. They also went to their dens and tested their young. There were no deformities. All the animals they studied were radio-active. The rodents, the fish, the raptors. Yet everything was thriving. Keep in mind that there has been many generations since the disaster. And the whole zone was slowly converting itself back into a swamp. Many animals that had been run out by development returned.
                      Propaganda? I couldn't even guess. But in some small way, it gave me some hope that nature will renew. Did these animals perhaps evolve to survive being radio-active? Do people? Maybe we're adapting right now.

Comment

Creatures that have 'evolved' to withstand high levels of radiation do exist. Monsanto uses, for example, DNA from bacteria that can survive high levels of ionizing radiation to create their "Roundup ready" canola.

There are manganese based proteins that can protect the cells from extreme damage; Monsanto and other companies are splicing these genes into crops and potentially into GM livestock.

The problem with the word evolve is far too big for this thread, needless to say that 'damage' to DNA is always a dangerous thing - NOT a good thing. What man fails to understand (aka scientists who play God)... is that the turning on and off of silent genetic material is more complex than we can ever imagine, let alone track (as a whole being)... ya we can track things in tiny little studies looking at A and B, but our world is made up of zillions of combinations of A-Z. We need to stop playing with genetic materials and especially creating new combos that can't be created naturally.

The 'no deformities' you speak of in the OASIS doc.? can you better define what this means/t... Again, I cannot stress enough that following a few wolves and their young does not represent the picture well. There may have very well been many canines that ceased to exist, only the undamaged who perhaps recently found their way into the contaminated zone appear to be thriving??.... Once in the zone, they will become contaminated absolutely... but can we trace their steps back 25 years.

I know the Russians moved in some Fjord horses to the region after Chernobyl to see how they'd manage... would like to see analysis of their blood etc. for DNA damage.

Insects are especially tough, due to short life spans... Their ability to switch on genes (for proteins enzymes etc) that protect them from the ionizing radiation is more expedient than a long living mammal like us. This is why we see antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. (NOT to rule out the potential for man-made super bacteria - thanks to lab rats with too much money and time on their hands)...

The faster a creature can procreate and produce young, the less likely that the radiation will cause damage... as the newbies that get zapped by radiation are extremely vulnerable in the earliest stages and die, most times even before they are born - or a mother knows she is even pregnant.

The Petkau Effect is an interesting study on the effects of low level ionizing radiation over long periods of time... there is an excellent book out on the matter (older publication)... Dr. Petkau of Manitoba Canada discovered that low level ionizing radiation could have even more damaging effects (over time) than a shorter high level dosage.

Man's DNA is being cooked... not just by radiation but from all the other abusive substances in our environment (mostly man-made).... In time, man will only be able to recreate life in a test tube and artificially implant the ovum in an otherwise sterile host. Having a baby will cost you, and hence the goal of population control and the Georgia Guide-stones is full-filled:
                        http://www.thegeorgiaguidestones.com/stones.htm

Comment

link: August 2, 2011 http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110802p2a00m0na018000c.html

"Highest levels of radiation measured since March 11/ 2011 detected at Fukushima nuclear reactors"

For the article go to link. Measurements at a venting stack went OFF SCALE. ie: Over 10 sieverts per hour.

Comment

Thank you Kathy for the time you commit to this issue. You are very much more knowledgable on the topic then I am. The program on OASIS only presented a small iota of information as it relates to this topic.

Comment

I have a new documentary for everyone to watch, download and copy etc. and get your family/neighbors to watch to. It is very well done, and gives us all a personal window into the lives of farmers, a race horse breeder, etc. living with the nuclear fallout and the loss of their soil viability - and thus their livelihoods:

Nuclear : Collaborating to create a radioactive fallout contamination map
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVzX3gAxp58&feature=player_embedded

The documentary is 1 hour 28 minutes long. Radiation scientists are video documenting as they go, and have analyzed soil and vegetation samples along the way... Please watch it, the values for radioactive cesium, iodine etc in the soil are incredibly high... I will post this link on a new message as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...