• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruisin' the Hansard.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruisin' the Hansard.

On my daily read in the Hansard, I picked up on this bit of a dialogue....

Wayne Easter
    Mr. Speaker, last Friday, 900 beef and hog farmers attended an urgent meeting in Stratford entitled “Farmers Matter”. Farmer after farmer stated that the government's farm safety nets are not working. Farmers made it clear that they cannot pay back the targeted advance loans under the terms the minister announced.

Why does the government impose loans on farmers while wasting billions of dollars elsewhere: waste on fancy photo ops, waste on cabinet ministers' expenses, waste on planes and prisons? Do farmers just not matter to this government?

Pierre Lemieux
    Mr. Speaker, as I mentioned yesterday, our government puts farmers first. We have taken action for livestock producers by giving them more time to pay their loans. Livestock producers now have breathing room to seize market opportunities and to get black ink on the bottom line. We have given tax deferrals for producers in these areas to help them manage their breeding stock.

Wayne Easter
    Mr. Speaker, this government puts farmers first only when it comes to debt. That is when it puts them first.

A headline in The Globe and Mail reads in part, “Canada slips from agricultural superpower status”. It is no wonder. While the United States supports farmers with billions, Canadian farmers are being forced to live off loans. While the government is squandering billions of borrowed money on fake lakes and billboards, Ontario farmers' incomes fall.

When will the government get its priorities straight and support farmers in Canada?

Pierre Lemieux
    Mr. Speaker, I am so glad the member agrees that we put farmers first.

We are delivering significant programming to our farmers. Since 2007, we have delivered $6.8 billion to our farm sector through key and critical programs such as agri-invest, agri-stability, agri-insurance and agri-recovery. Just to give an example, when we speak about agri-invest, $650 million has been paid out. This is in addition to $600 million that has gone into farmers' bank accounts.

end of discussion

I don't suppose Mr. Lemieux made mention of how much of that "millions" went into administration.

Comment

Or the fact that it can take YEARS to process an application for these programs that are supposed to provide "stability".

Comment

Never counting on the stabilization
        programs is actually a very stable
        position...
        The terror begins when you actually get a
        cheque and are scared to put it in the
        bank in case it is clawed back...

Comment

You got that right! I'm being asked to pay back $600.00 from 2003, and no one has even looked at our 2009 application. Hellooo... it's almost 2011.

It's quite the scam when you think about it. Design a program that's not supposed to pay out. Then use it as an excuse to avoid doing something really constructive. Make big announcements in the media about how many millions have been put into it, whether farmers actually receive it or not. Be a hero, on a budget.

Win win for government, lose lose for us. In the meantime, everyone who has ever gotten a cheque from one of these programs will spend the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders to see if the collection department is after them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...