• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morand Cattle Squeeze's with neck extender

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morand Cattle Squeeze's with neck extender

We marked the pin positions (For neck sizes) with a black felt on the outside so we don't have to peek for a hole. We also put greese on the square tubing to help it slide better.

This has made a world of a difference

And the question was ;o)

Comment

I have a question. We don't use one, since we've got a nifty trap door on the side of our headgate. It does the job just fine.

So I'll ask. What do people think about neck extenders? I would think it would be slick on a hydraulic chute, but how about a manual one? Do they cause a problem with horns?

Comment

We don't have any horns to deal with. But, the neck extender on our manual chute eliminates 90% of the back and forth movement on the cattle we put through it - from calves right up to old cows. No more bent needles once they stick their head through it.

Comment

It looks to me like the Morand has the cow
          in the headgate and then the Shoulder
          holder, pulls the animal back. The others
          look like the cow goes in the headgate and
          the immobilizer pulls them forward. Is
          this the case?
          I would highly recommend detectable
          needles. They are sharper and stronger
          and do not bend and break like the old
          kind.

Comment

When we vaccinate we use 5cc disposable plastic syringes. The syringe will break before a needle will, and the syringe allows you to be accurate. If you're accurate with your shots, you can always get eleven shots from a ten dose bottle of vaccine. (As long as it's a 2cc dose) It doesn't sound like much, but over a hundred calves you've got some nice savings.

We'll have to give the neck extender some thought if we ever go shopping for a new chute.

Comment

We have recently upgraded to an Allflex.
              They are deadly accurate and fast. Two
              of us separated and vaccinated 75 calves
              in under an hour this fall. (then we
              put the calves back with the cows for a
              couple of weeks). I agree on the extra
              dose with MLV. We only use 10 dose
              bottles of modified live and we always
              wind up saving quite a few doses. We
              also check and regularly ensure the
              dosage on all of our syringes as part of
              VBP.

Comment

And for the record, we don't use a squeeze
                or even a headgate when we vaccinate...

Comment

Same here Sean, I find you can vaccinate faster and easier in an alley with less stress on the animals and I've never broken a needle yet. Grew up vaccinating sheep and that was always done in the alley so it seems logical to do the same for cows. The squeeze chutes and hydraulic chutes and the added neck extenders are all rather metal heavy solutions in my opinion. I don't see the average cow/calf herd would get enough use out of them in a year to justify the expense.

Comment

We put everyone through to replace lost tags, our cattle were on bush this summer and they lost at least 30% of their tags. We also had a bunch of new cows that needed new numbers. Calving season next season will be nice win no more 3 #36 cows and such. We were going to put a numbered tag in each ear in the event the cow lost one we would still have the other but decided that would only help somewhat and result in more ripped ears. We are now looking for a 1/4" by 1" metal band that has rounded edges and snap locks into place. I am wondering if the Angus association uses this for the registered angus program. We found this tag in a couple of our cows and figure you would nead a grinder to get it off and twine or trees wouldn't snag and rip it out. The one band we found had a A.Black on one side and 4309 stamped on the other. I just can't see how a cow could ever loose them.

Comment

I have used the metal Kurl-loc (by Ketchum)on calves before I tattoo. You can order then with any sequence of numbers/letters stamped in them. Have bought through our local Co-op. Make sure you get the same sized applicator and Kurl-Locs.....

Comment

smcgrath76 - how are you vaccinating your cows accurately if not using a squeeze/headgate? Over the top of the alley? Which Allflex gun are you using?

Comment

We pack the chute and vaccinate over the
                          top. All shots are sub-Q in the neck
                          (just ahead of the shoulder). The gun
                          is an Allflex repeater. We store all
                          vaccine in a cooler, and only use 10
                          dose bottles of MLV so it never sits
                          more than a few minutes. Needles are
                          changed at regular intervals (only
                          detectables) and are disposed of in a
                          marked sharps container.
                          The alley keeps them calmer and they
                          cannot throw their heads around like in
                          the headgate. At our place it is much
                          safer and faster for everyone. We can
                          usually sort and do two dose vaccinate
                          on 100 cows in just a little over an
                          hour.
                          A squeeze is pretty useful for real
                          procedures like branding, milking (god
                          forbid) or other such things.
                          Cows all have a metal curl lock tag, a Z
                          tag floppy(these stay in very well), a
                          CCIA tag, are branded and all have DNA
                          on file in Saskatoon. Theoretically if
                          a cow lost all her ID, I could pull tail
                          hairs and have the lab find out who she
                          is.

Comment

Forgot...
                            No crowding tub on our stationary unit
                            either. Once I got looking on the
                            internet, I realized we actually have had
                            a Bud Box for about 70 years. Having used
                            both I prefer the Bud Box, but to each his
                            own.

Comment

We've got a tub, and a solid sided wooden chute, and wouldn't be without them. If it wasn't for the tub, we'd have a hard time doing anything to the bulls. We'd really rather not put them up the alley into the headgate unless we have to. They tend to smash things up. So we just shut the gate in the tub until they're wedged in the corner.

We sometimes vaccinate cows crowded in the chute, but boy, those heads do fly around. The older the cow, the wiser. Ours generally go through the chute at preg checking, when they need to be caught, in January for scour vaccine and ade, which is the time the odds are highest they'll be vaccinated in the alley. The only other time they go through is in spring before pasture vaccinations, and we always have tags to replace, so have to catch a bunch then.

Calves and feeders are always caught in the headgate. For us it's faster. They get more than one shot each, and the little guys we buy to background just turn around in the chute anyway. The alley is designed for cows, and those little athletes can really maneuver in there. LOL Unless you've got an alley with adjustable sides, it's impossible to have it perfect when you've got everything from babies to bulls going through there. So we averaged it out and made it the right size for cows.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...