• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP - CWB hypocricy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABP - CWB hypocricy

I'm confused - we apparently have ABP delegates standing in the CWB election on a "marketing choice" platform a.k.a "kill the CWB" platform. Now I find this rather hypocritical as at the same time ABP is discussing barring beef producers from standing as delegates in their own organisation if they oppose ABP or it's policies. It seems it's OK for these same ABP people to stand in the CWB election when they are most certainly opposed to that organisation.

Such is democracy in Alberta - brought to you care of the apathetic 90% of the population who are asleep at the wheel.

It doesn't even make sense for these beef guys to be seeking the demise of the CWB if they believe their own rhetoric. They claim that the CWB creates a captive supply of grain in Western Canada which results in our grain farmers getting the lowest prices in the world - that would be good for the beef producer and they should be working to keep the CWB in place!
    It seems the ideology of supporting a "free market" overrules the facts or indeed common sense.

I agree with the tangled web theory. I think the CWB is probably more akin to ALMA or ALMS than ABP. ABP can't force me to do anything, the CWB can, as can ALMA, although I appreciate that I have no choice in any of the three if I choose to be in the respective industry.
    I think the real question to be asked here is, "what is the value I recieve for the contribution I make?" As for the CWB, I don't like the idea but I don't grow grain so it is not my place to comment. I don't like the ALMS but am working on getting past that (I still don't think the government can save me). ABP costs me very little, and I am reasonably ambivalent about it. I agree with them on some things and disagree on others. I certainly am challenged with their traditionalism but that may be inherent in ag in general.

Comment

I agree with the tangled web theory. I think the CWB is probably more akin to ALMA or ALMS than ABP. ABP can't force me to do anything, the CWB can, as can ALMA, although I appreciate that I have no choice in any of the three if I choose to be in the respective industry.
      I think the real question to be asked here is, "what is the value I recieve for the contribution I make?" As for the CWB, I don't like the idea but I don't grow grain so it is not my place to comment. I don't like the ALMS but am working on getting past that (I still don't think the government can save me). ABP costs me very little, and I am reasonably ambivalent about it. I agree with them on some things and disagree on others. I certainly am challenged with their traditionalism but that may be inherent in ag in general. Generally I believe that what we did in the past got us to the present and if we don't like the present, then we probably need to do something different.

Comment

I think the real question to be asked here is, "what is the value I recieve for the contribution I make?" As for the CWB, I don't like the idea but I don't grow grain so it is not my place to comment. I don't like the ALMS but am working on getting past that (I still don't think the government can save me). ABP costs me very little, and I am reasonably ambivalent about it. I agree with them on some things and disagree on others. I certainly am challenged with their traditionalism but that may be inherent in ag in general. Generally I believe that what we did in the past got us to the present and if we don't like the present, then we probably need to do something different.

Comment

Cost? Sean, Like you I don't grow grain so the CWB neither makes nor loses me money in simple terms. The AMLS doesn't cost me - in fact it pays me, quite a bit for very little work or effort to date. ABP on the other hand costs me $3 every time I sell an animal through auction. I finish up paying a lot more to them in a year than some of the other organisations with whom I actually share philosophies and choose to be a member of. I resent paying a $3 checkoff to ABP when the money is spent working against my interests as a beef producer.

Comment

ALMS has a non cash cost associated with it. We can argue about whether the practices it requires/promotes are worthwhile or not, but it still costs. Depending on your starting point the increase in cost may be significant, for others it is already part of doing business and they are commanding a premium from the marketplace already.
            I agree with your statement on ABP and paying for something you disagree with.
            The average AB cow herd is around 56 cows. 56 * 3 = $118 (which is a tax deductible farm expense for those with off farm jobs). I think that explains a lot of the apathy. I think the approach is a lot like paying taxes, you just shrug and hope they leave you alone.

Comment

grassfarmer What are you refering to as far as ABP delegates?
              Any links or information would be apreciated.
              Are they speaking on behalf of ABP or just as farmers?

Comment

Sorry gustgd, I don't understand your question. Care to clarify it?

Comment

grassfarmer said:I'm confused - we apparently have ABP delegates standing in the CWB election on a "marketing choice" platform a.k.a "kill the CWB" platform
                  My Question is are these delegates speaking for ABP with their ABP hats on ?
                  or
                  Do they get asked CWB questions from the media who call the same 50 guys from across western Canada when they have a Ag questions.

The first question I usually ask in the pre-interview is are you asking Gerrid Gust -Farmer-
                  or Gerrid Gust Director for the WCWGA?
                  It matters on how I answer the question

Your the one who started the thread is it a rumor that NFU is putting out?
                  or
                  Is it something you can say this specific farmer who is also an ABP delegate said at this meeting in this town?

Comment

I'm still confused - you are asking me to attribute a particular quote or comment to a certain person at a certain venue. If you read my post I don't quote any comments by anyone so I'm not sure what you are referring to. The only mention I actually made of anybody saying something was that the Directors of ABP discussed who could stand as delegates - and that was taken from the minutes of their meeting available on their website.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...