• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture Mapping

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture Mapping

Does anyone know any good software programs for mapping grazing type fields and pastures. See a lot in NZ and australia but little in North America

The 3P program is good. A pair of legs, a pair of boots and a pair of eyes - works for me.

Comment

You can always use "Google Earth" and look at your pasture from on high. Pictures are not current though, but if you just want a map I suppose you could "print screen" a portion thereof.

If I hear of any good software will post it...one never knows what is out there unless you "ggogles" for it.

Other than than...just follow 'grassfarmer's' advice.

Comment

Thanks for your info. Google is good only in certain areas that have been focused on in studys.I live in the foothills at the base of the rockies and the resolution is very poor. As for the contribution regarding walking the terrain is very steep. would you like to give a demostration of the practice??

Comment

Steep hills? close to the Rockies? man, get out there and enjoy the exercise - do you realise how much of the world's population would pay big money for the experience?

Comment

While you are out there take your hand held GPS and camera and set up some photo points. Look straight down and take a picture and then take one straight out in one direction. Do this year after year on the same date both spring and summer from the same spot pointing the same direction. Makes for some interesting observations about your management after several years. Try going to the Ropin the Web Soil Air Water section. You might be too far west but they have satellite mapped much of the province. You can measure acres etc from your laptop after you have enjoyed the fresh air.

Cheers
            per

Comment

For a clearer image of your property from a lot closer distance than G.Earth, you folks try Mapygon.com. They are not real-time either but you can count the bales in the fields.

Comment

We use a couple of technologies.
                We obtained a copy of Oziexplorer (a gps mapping software) and then loaded in a copy of the most recent digital airphotos from the province. I have our corners and various landmarks GPS'd. I then load the points and mark them on the photo with OZI and voila I have a geographically/spatially correct map. I use it for drawing fences, etc. You can caluclate distances, and area down to the nth degree for pasture setup, budgeting, etc. It has saved us a lot of time and money in rotational grazing setup. It is also good to identify potentially worrisome areas for management that you may not pick up on foot or off the horse. I am also in the process of using the software and photos to identify some of our local historic landmarks.
                I still have not found a great pasture management software although some of the field notebooks are pretty good. You can probably get copies from public lands or AESA.
                The reason I like digital is it is easier to monitor trends, etc.

Comment

I checked this mapygon but it wasn'tmuch better than google. When I tried to focus in there was a message that this area had not been focued on while the mapping occured. I am going to try the OziExplorer but need to find digital type maps. I have old aerial photos but they are hard to scan.

Comment

Intrepid1 - what province are you in? I can try to find the contact information for good photos. AB has flown all new lines over the last few years (trying to detect rogue oilwells).
                    I am pretty sure I can find a source for SK photos pretty readily as well.

Comment

I am in Alberta in the south west corner.

Comment

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/geographicinformation/airphoto/default.aspx

Digital prints at 800 PPI are available at $13.50 plus $10 if you want them on CD. Generally a photo covers an area of about 16 sections (4 x 4)

Diapositives are also a good option if you like planning on paper vs. computer. The website is pretty informative if you are computer literate and they are good in this office and can help you out if you aren't sure what product you need.

Air Photo Distribution
                        9920 - 108 Street, Main Floor
                        Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5K 2M4
                        Phone: (780) 427-3520
                        Fax: (780) 422-9683
                        Email: Air.Photo@gov.ab.ca

Comment

If you go to this link, it will show a picture of a plow that The Special Areas Board has available to it's residents. I have put in around twenty miles with it. http://www.specialareas.ab.ca/shallow.html

Comment

Posted in wrong topic, should have been in pipe plow ideas.

Comment

I am in Alberta in the south west corner.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...