• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Pasture Mapping

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Intrepid1
    Member
    • Apr 2004
    • 70

    Pasture Mapping

    Does anyone know any good software programs for mapping grazing type fields and pastures. See a lot in NZ and australia but little in North America
  • grassfarmer
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2002
    • 9734

    #2
    The 3P program is good. A pair of legs, a pair of boots and a pair of eyes - works for me.

    Comment

    • wilagro
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2000
      • 2761

      #3
      You can always use "Google Earth" and look at your pasture from on high. Pictures are not current though, but if you just want a map I suppose you could "print screen" a portion thereof.

      If I hear of any good software will post it...one never knows what is out there unless you "ggogles" for it.

      Other than than...just follow 'grassfarmer's' advice.

      Comment

      • Intrepid1
        Member
        • Apr 2004
        • 70

        #4
        Thanks for your info. Google is good only in certain areas that have been focused on in studys.I live in the foothills at the base of the rockies and the resolution is very poor. As for the contribution regarding walking the terrain is very steep. would you like to give a demostration of the practice??

        Comment

        • grassfarmer
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2002
          • 9734

          #5
          Steep hills? close to the Rockies? man, get out there and enjoy the exercise - do you realise how much of the world's population would pay big money for the experience?

          Comment

          • per
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 1133

            #6
            While you are out there take your hand held GPS and camera and set up some photo points. Look straight down and take a picture and then take one straight out in one direction. Do this year after year on the same date both spring and summer from the same spot pointing the same direction. Makes for some interesting observations about your management after several years. Try going to the Ropin the Web Soil Air Water section. You might be too far west but they have satellite mapped much of the province. You can measure acres etc from your laptop after you have enjoyed the fresh air.

            Cheers
            per

            Comment

            • gcreekrch
              Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 87

              #7
              For a clearer image of your property from a lot closer distance than G.Earth, you folks try Mapygon.com. They are not real-time either but you can count the bales in the fields.

              Comment

              • smcgrath76
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2000
                • 1565

                #8
                We use a couple of technologies.
                We obtained a copy of Oziexplorer (a gps mapping software) and then loaded in a copy of the most recent digital airphotos from the province. I have our corners and various landmarks GPS'd. I then load the points and mark them on the photo with OZI and voila I have a geographically/spatially correct map. I use it for drawing fences, etc. You can caluclate distances, and area down to the nth degree for pasture setup, budgeting, etc. It has saved us a lot of time and money in rotational grazing setup. It is also good to identify potentially worrisome areas for management that you may not pick up on foot or off the horse. I am also in the process of using the software and photos to identify some of our local historic landmarks.
                I still have not found a great pasture management software although some of the field notebooks are pretty good. You can probably get copies from public lands or AESA.
                The reason I like digital is it is easier to monitor trends, etc.

                Comment

                • Intrepid1
                  Member
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 70

                  #9
                  I checked this mapygon but it wasn'tmuch better than google. When I tried to focus in there was a message that this area had not been focued on while the mapping occured. I am going to try the OziExplorer but need to find digital type maps. I have old aerial photos but they are hard to scan.

                  Comment

                  • smcgrath76
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 1565

                    #10
                    Intrepid1 - what province are you in? I can try to find the contact information for good photos. AB has flown all new lines over the last few years (trying to detect rogue oilwells).
                    I am pretty sure I can find a source for SK photos pretty readily as well.

                    Comment

                    • Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...