• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How' the fall run doing?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geez, randy, hope you aren't insinuating that my brains are frozen from all my walks in the nice chilly air !!

Was out this morning at 6:00 AM with the spotlight trying to see whether my buddy the @@##$$ Moose was around the yard. I am not a wuss but I am not overly anxious to meet up with a mean dispositioned moose on my morning trek around the place !!

I am sure my new neighbours down the road appreciated the spot light in their window long before they were up....payback for their kids roaring around with quads in the middle of the night !!!

Comment

grassfarmer: Just interested in how those 300 big cows sold? I have been busy trying to get some stuff done around here and haven't had time to get into the markets? Seems I have less time the older I get!
      Now personally I wouldn't want to go back to that Feb/Jan calving but those 800 lb. calves sure are pretty to see in the fall! The neighbor up the road has his momma cows with bull calves in a roadside pasture and they sure are a sight to see. I think they are about the best bunch I've ever seen in a long time! M4 beefbooster. Big stout bulls like peas in a pod. He starts calving Apr. 1st. I would "guesstimate" the average weight at well over 700 lb.!

Comment

They are being offered for sale privately Cowman, in lots of 100 at $1350 per bred cow. All I can say is good luck!

Comment

I would say good luck too! You never know though...?
          Maybe this guy is just "fishing" and hope some sucker bites?
          Call me dumb or something but I still believe there could be a very good market for those kind of calves...and a profit for some enterprizing soul who didn't mind working like that?
          My son makes the decisions around this place now...at least regarding the cattle. He was the one who decided we would go to the later calving season/Angus gentics( I still don't like them!)!
          Now don't get me wrong...I enjoy not getting up every two hours when it is forty below, but I still think there is a dollar to be made following that system! For many grain based farmers calving early actually is very efficient use of their time!
          Bottom line: When you sell that calf at 800 lb for $110 you net $880 beside 600 lb. at $1.20 for $720? I really don't think we fed a whole hell of a lot more to tell you the honest truth? Maybe it was harder on the cows...but I don't think so...they were still fat and sassy come fall!
          Now having said all that...I will never go back. But that probably has more to do with being old and lazy than what really puts the most money in my pocket? I'll never forget 1992...when the steers I sold brought me $962 in my pocket right off the cow...November 16th!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...