• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's Canada rate?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's Canada rate?

Intl Decision On BSE Standards Seen Helping US Trade Case

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The U.S. will now have a much stronger case to make that there is virtually no mad-cow disease risk here thanks to a decision Wednesday by the Paris-based World Organization for Animal Health to relax country standard requirements. Previously, a country had to wait seven years after its discovery of mad-cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, before it could be considered in the "negligible risk" category -- the category for countries with the least BSE risk.

After reading this it appears that this ruling will allow the US to apply to go from "contolled" risk status to "negligible" risk status next year since the March cow has been accepted as being 10 years old and the 11 years will be up...

Canada on the other hand now only qualifies for "undetermined" risk status because they can't prove they have an effective feed ban with the POST feed ban positives- and won't be able to apply for "negligible" status for at least 7 more years since the last cow was 6 years old, under this change....

Sounds like this rule was written by the USDA/US Packers - since OIE seems to change any rule USDA asks them to- any which way they want them to...

This could definitely have an effect on the USDA's trying to reopen the border to OTM's- and would be a stronger arguing point against it...

Comment

You gotter Oldtimer. And you and Rcalf can help the packers out by yapping off about Canada being MORE BSE infected than the good old USA.

Rcalf USA - the packers best freind.

Comment

Dangit - I forgot the happy face!

Comment

I don't know why your blaming R-CALF- looks like this was done by USDA/Packers...Couldn't be because the new head of the OIE panel is a USDA employee, could it?

I'm not even sure R-CALF was aware of the proposed change- if they did I don't remember anything in their writings...

I wonder if CFIA was involved or aware- or CCA and ABP--Did they notify everyone that this rule change was in the works?

Comment

You know darn well that I beleive the packers are behind every USDA NCBA CCA decison Willowcreek. What I keep telling you is to stop helping them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...