• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranchin'

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranchin'

I was reading the posts of you guys arguing about branding and such, and I got to thinking...it's a damn shame in some areas of the world, you can't farm or ranch even if you want to. Those areas where little "communities" of 5 or 10 3,000 sq. ft. home have been built spittin' distance apart, only 5 miles out of Red Deer or Leduc and such, are a damn eyesore to me. How could anyone expand their ranch when you're being surrounded like that?

I sent Klein & Co. an article from the AcresUSA site about urban sprawl. I got the fastest response I've ever had! Said he'd forward it to the Ag., Envir., and some other bodies of government for further review - whatever that means.

I just think it's a real tragedy, too, that we're arguing over what's right or wrong when it comes to ranchin'. If cswilson, blackjack, Willowcreek, or myself and whoever, make a living that includes branding and doin' things sittin' horseback, that's our damn business. If some of you other folks make yours with a quad, a tractor, a picker truck, a track-hoe, WHATEVER - that's your damn business!

I pity the poor soul who walks into our corral on branding day, chastising the one holding the iron for cruelty to animals. He might walk out with a Rafter PC smokin' his/her jeans.

And by the same token, I don't intend to pull into someone else's yard and tell them to stop scarin' them babies by running 'em up a loud bangin', clangin' chute! How we do the day-to-day chorin that makes up farming and ranching is our own business. Yeah there has to be a line for cruelty, but good Jimminy Cricket people, they're LIVESTOCK, they're not BABIES!!!

I bought another saddlehorse last night over the phone, and we're going to pick him up tonight. 8 year old Morgan X Quarter Horse gelding that was a little too much horse for the woman who bought him. Very well broke, just needs to be kept on the straight and narrow. For $1250, I was pretty happy to get him.

Anyways, just my views. Farmers and ranchers fighting amongst themselves doesn't get much done.

Talk to somebody that has applied for a permit for a feedlot or hog operation lately. They will tell you that neighbours that don't understand how the livestock industry functions are their biggest problem. People want assurance that their little corner of the world will not be affected by what happens down on the farm. You said a it yourself, there are hundreds of people living in rural areas that are not involved in the agricultural industry, and they have a huge voice when it comes to how we are going to operate our farms in the future whether we like it or not. I agree with you that it should be our business, but the day will come when we have to operate the way urban folks think we should because they outnumber us by far.

Comment

I believe in giving the customer what they want - to a point. I don't want to be involved in anything where someone says,"Here's your protocol for beef production. Read it, learn it, or stuff it."

Comment

Why is it politically correct to move the city to the Country, to gain the "peace and quiet" and outdoor air, and then complain that the country is encroaching on their "lifestyle"

Comment

Purecountry: I do operate exactly within the environment you note and yep it has its disadvantages without a doubt...also some big advantages?
          Now if you wanted to expand or build a hog barn or feedlot...nope it isn't going to happen! But cow/calf seems okay...at least for now. However land prices are totally restrictive and we are seeing a major loss of cow/calf operations in this area.
          Believe me you have to operate differently here. If you spread raw manure...you're going to get a phone call from the local fieldman. If you leave a dead cow by the road...a visit from the SPCA...also when you wean calves! Want to shoot up the gophers? Expect a call from the cops!
          The suburbanite expects to ride his horse, quad, dirt bike,snowmobile on your land and watch birds, hike, and picnic where ever they please. Which is okay as generally they are fairly good at closing the gates and picking up their garbage.
          The advantages of living here are you are just a few miles from all the amenities that make life enjoyable.
          I truly believe that the days of livestock production are coming to an end in my part of the country. It just does not make sense to run cows on land that is worth $3,000/acre. It is exceptional agricultural land(perhaps the best in the province) but it is also where people want to be! When I see Red Deer expanding eastwards into land that has two feet of black top soil I often wonder if we haven't got it all wrong? It would be better if the people built there cities out on the poor land and left the good land to produce food. However that isn't going to happen.
          I guess you should enjoy living in a remote area where you can operate how ever you see fit, if that is your desire? Years ago I considered selling out and moving but thankfully I didn't. For all the problems of operating here, I still find it about the best place to possibly live.

Comment

I agree with you on alot of that cowman - for a change. It's a shame that the best land isn't set aside for ag. production, as it should be. I am glad we can still do alot of the things others cannot because of our location; our "remoteness". I couldn't imagine this part of Alberta dotted with acreages. It's ugly enough being dotted with leases and tanks across the river valley.

I know what you mean about moving. We still think about it from time to time b/c land prices are going up here, too. But when you work out the pros and cons of it all, anywhere you go has it's up and downs, like you said.

You can be miserable anywhere, or you can be happy anywhere. Home is where you hang your hat, I guess.

Comment

I think that most of the big cities are on the best land because years ago when the province was mostly ag oriented that is where the most people lived and they probably had more disposable income than farmers/ranchers from less productive land.

Comment

Very true, but it's a shame that none of our gov't reps seem to pay attention to the rate of encroachment.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...