• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the record price ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the record price ??

Hi folks,
    Have a person wondering what is the record price paid for a bull? In Canada, the US or world-wide for that matter? Breed? Age?
    They just wanted "the record price" but I thought we might as well break it down while we're at it.
    Thanks.

Usually how it works is you come to my production sale and buy a calf for $100,000 and later I come to yours a buy a few heifers in the $20,000 range! In the end we both haven't got a lot of money but we sure made the dumbies think we have some awful good cattle!
    The highest bull I ever saw sell was B&H Calgary 82L, a horned herford bull sold at the Calgary Bull Sale for $280,000! He was big...I'll give him that. They had a lot of trouble with semen freezing but eventually he worked. Personally I wasn't overly impressed with him. The best bull I ever saw was a yearling out of the Alberta Test Center. I think he finished 86th out of 100 bulls! He sold for $18,500 to top the sale and was raised by Mcphersons down around Calgary. Heaviest boned bull I ever saw. I saw him again when he was 10 years old and he was still the best bull I ever saw.

Comment

I think that Justamere sold a polled bull for half mill years ago.The hereford digest has those prices in it sometimes.

Comment

Finding it hard to track down high bull prices on the web but I did find a few interesting ones.
        The world record Limo bull was sold in Carlisle England in 2003 - equivilant of $125,000 at todays exchange rate. This one was definately a set up - news that this bull was going to hit that price reached me in Canada ten days before the sale!
        A great Hereford bull born in 1836 England went on to weigh 3920lbs at 9 years old - and there were others in that weight range too. Huge cattle are not just a modern thing.
        A record production dairy cow in the US produced 23 gallons of milk in one day. She was no ordinary cow - 1800lbs, ate 60-70lbs of a grain ration plus the same of alfalfa hay daily washed down with 50-60 gallons of water! She ate 7% of her body weight in dry matter every day and gave 5 times as much milk as a regular Holstein.

Comment

An angus bull by the name of Elixir sold for $250,000 for 1/4 or 1/2 interest (can't remeber). He sold over $1,000,000 worth of semen though.

Comment

I remeber now, the highest selling bull in the angus breed in the US was Midland, I believe. Named after Leo McDonell's test station, would you ever use him?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...