• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancher's Choice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancher's Choice

By: David Thomas

A tentative deal has been reached between Ranchers Choice Beef Co-op and the City of Dauphin to build a beef slaughter facility there. Ranchers Choice Secretary-Treasurer Garth Lucier of Reyjkevik says it's a good location. He says they had a place where they could build already approved for an abattoir.
    Lucier says Ranchers Choice is fundraising at the moment, and will know more on that score once Ag Minister Roseann flowchart returns from the Ag Ministers conference in P.E.I. He adds the facility will have a significant economic impact, with 70 jobs per shift, as well as spin-offs.
    A number of centers, including Portage la Prairie, were vying for the plant. Director of Economic Development Dean Yaremchuk says the decision's news to the city. He says they haven't received any confirmation other than that received from CFRY.
    Yaremchuk says they discussed the idea with Ranchers Choice, but didn't get into specifics. He adds it's unfortunate when a business opportunity's lost, but they respect the decision.
    Ranchers Choice President David Reykdal confirmed their decision. He says Ranchers Choice is no longer planing on building a new plant, they intend on moving an existing plant to Dauphin. There is a plant recently built in the U.S. Their supply used to come from Canada. Reykdal say the Americans asked the U.S. government how long the border would be closed and they were told 5 years. They couldn't wait 5 years so it's for sale.
    Reykdal declined comment on the cost of the plant saying only it was significantly less. He says if the deal is signed, the plant it will be disassembled and moved to Dauphin via truck.
    Reykdal says they are hoping for some additional funding from the BSE Initiative. He was asked what happens if Ag Minister Rosanne Wowchuk comes back empty handed. Reykdal says if there is no money for Ranchers Choice there is no money for the other BSE programs the Federal Government proposed. Reykdal say regardless they are going ahead because they planned on moving ahead with the project without Federal support anyway.
    Reydkal says they hope to pour cement this fall. If producers want to support the project he encourages them to buy shares in the co-op

* Roseann flowchart? Ya gotta love those spell-checkers. LOL

I'm not so sure about the five year thing, it may be a political comment, who knows.

Congradulations Manitoba!

Wonder if our Ag Minister in Alberta will applaude this Canadian Initiative as much as she hailed the Tyson expansion like it is the second coming.

Comment

Kato,They were talking about Rancher's Choice and the Dauphin plant deal on CKLQ today.The plant they are looking at was built in Washington State in 1998 and designed for larger cull animals.PERFECT!!!Their proposal is to buy the equipment ,building and everything and move the she-bang up here. This plant has been closed since the BSE fiasco started last May. I think I'll have to sc**** some cash together and buy in to Ranchers choice!!!
      I also heard on the radio that Cam Ostercamp is coming to Brandon but I didn't hear when or where.Does anyone know??
      Who would I talk to at Rancher's Choice about buying share's?

Comment

Joe-2: Here's a link to their website:

http://www.rancherschoicebeef.ca/index.asp

I see their mailing address is there at least and a contact form. David Reykdahl is the pres (can't remember where he's from right now, but some place around Ashern I believe). In any case, if you get MCPA's Cattle Country paper I believe most of the director's names should be in there somewhere.

Comment

Thank's Cedar. I have a little money in NISA, and CAIS is of very little use to me, so maybe that cash will go into Rancher's Choice.Dauphin isn't THAT far away that I can't haul a load or two of cows up there and I always enjoy seeing that north country.
          I have never recieved any newsletter,financial statement etc from MCPA.I know that they know I exist because they have been collecting checkoff dollars from me ,though....?
          I wonder(tongue in cheek here) if our provincial gov't will suggest raiding the surpluses at Manitoba Hydro and MPIC to provide cash for new slaughter facilities in Manitoba......?
          .......BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
          That's OK Mr.Doer. We know our place in the food chain. We will "UP" our standard of living on our own...and "UP YOUR'S TOO".
          Another thought before I get to work;Union wages were a big reason that we lost slaughter capacity in Manitoba,years ago.Burns in Brandon is a prime example.I doubt that labor cost's will be much of an issue this time around though.Maple Leaf has managed to set that bar quite low and I can't see the NDP gov't messing with them.The old buddy thing you know.Does anyone realize who one of the major investors in Maple Leaf is????

Comment

Other than the McCains? I don't know.

You're right Joe, a drive to Dauphin is not a hardship. Stop for dinner at Boston Pizza...nice drive home through the park...dodge an elk or two..bear watch a bit on the way...not a hardship at all.

I sure hope it all works out. We've bought some shares already.

Comment

Anybody interested in this plant had better get off their rearends and buy some shares. I know their are a lot of people out their sitting on the fence and thinking well I'll put some cash in when they get it going. It's time to put some cash into this project. I know times are tough and dollars are hard to find but I think we need this plant built. I got a letter from Ranchers Choice today and they will except letters of credit as payment for shares. Once your cow goes through the plant the money will be paid out. So broke is not and excuse. Time for action!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...