• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labels on Beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labels on Beef

Just thought I would ask what everyone thinks of the idea of labeling our conventional beef?

If you want to sell organic, you must follow a lot of rules and label. If you want to sell a "naturally raised" beef product, not quite as many rules, but still rules. Exports to EU, Japan, etc. the same.

Each of these games that we arte asked so nicely by the industry to do cost us money.

Why not label conventional beef? When the ads come out, paid for by our ABP and CCA, why not claim and call out ractopamine, beta agonists, and just how much antibiotic each animals was injected with or fed in its lifetime.

I get blasted when I called our conventional beef shit. And yes, that is a negative nasty way of dealing with the situation, and I apologize.

I would rather use the method I have been over the past year by calling the chemicals in beef gifts and will try harder from now on. Just tell the customer about the gifts and then let them google search on their own.

CCA and ABP have chosen to submit a request to the feds to allow irradiation and "LABEL" the product. Thank you very much ABP / CCA. I am sure that this procedure went through the proper channels and started with resolutions form producers and years of study by the board... LMAO

So why not label the rest of the wonderful bioengineered technological advances that have been made, that the conventional industry is so very proud of?

If there is room on the label, you could even suggest the reasoning. To feed a hungry planet? To make money?
    It has been proven by the scientist who make it?

RKAISER YOU HAVE AVERYBODY CONFUSED ABOUT LABELING OUR BEEF!
    UOR CONSUMERS ASKING WHAT is this now conventional -beef?????
    organic beef[is me be know about a little better to come, if label and gov stamped
    then you talk about naturally raised beef????
    do not confuse every one with antibiotic injected in our beef
    take away the E FROM B-S-E THAT IS WHAT WE GET NOW .

Comment

OK let me get this straight.

Organic Beef - no additives on cow or feed (Also, no treatment when sick. Isn't this an animal welfare issue?)
      Natural Beef - no additives on cow.
      Commodity Beef - everything including the above at times.
      US born, raised & s*****tered - Is it cheaper or what? Safer? Patriotic?What does that label actually mean to the consumer?
      Canadian born, raised & s*****tered - what would this mean to a consumer? I see maple leaf labels on some packages and nothing on the rest.

Maybe lettuce should have labels that read "e-coli free" or how about "salmonella tested?

Processed foods carry a label that lists all the additives and the consumer STILL BUYS IT.

Ever listen to the "Age of Persuasion" on CBC radio?

Comment

Customer driven labeling is about segregating the marketplace to increase overall
        revenue and profit. For example: There are 100 pounds of beef. There is a
        market for 100 pounds of beef at $1. There is a market for 10 pounds of natural
        beef at $1.10 There is a market for 5 pounds of Organic beef at $1.20. If we
        segregate and label, instead of $100, we can earn $85 $11 $6 or $102 with that
        same 100 pounds of beef.
        The theory behind COOL is the same, only it is not consumer driven so it only
        raises the costs, thus driving down the actual price received.
        Organic - animal is not implanted and must be fed organic feed. They can be
        vaccinated under some certifications, but if they are treated (and they are) are
        no longer organic eligible.
        Natural - no implants, can be fed conventional feed, vaccinated, if antibiotics
        are used they are no longer elgible.
        Local - originally within roughly 50 miles of source. Latest CFIA says within
        province or 50 miles of farm of origin across provincial borders.
        The COOL law now enacting in the US (to replace the old non compliant one) says
        born in XXX, Raised in XXX and slaughtered in XXX. All three parts of the label
        must be completed. Previously the label could say product of XXX and YYY without
        declaring stage of production.
        Other labels are product or product line specific such as Sterling Silver or CAB.
        The flags are often retail specific promotion (ag: Costco AAA Canadian) Prodcut
        of Canada at this point means the animal was processed here, although I am not
        aware of any Cdn plants buying US youthful cattle. I know they are importing some
        lean trim, and I am not sure how that affects the labeling of processed products.
        I believe the current law states "a significant transformation in form/function,
        or > 50% of the value must be added in Canada."
        I am not a big fan of country labels. They may create some patriotic buying, but
        they don't differentiate the product at all.

Comment

Country labeling is a joke. JBS and Cargill could not give a shit and it simply gives the ABP / CCA boys something to do to substantiate their wages.

The USA will do whatever it takes to protect their packers --- who just so happen to be our packers as well.... LOL

What I am talking about Sean, is labeling the chemicals that everyone seems so proud to use and defend.

Lets use your Sterling silver example. Why not add a line that says "animals have been treated with slow release antibiotics, hormonal growth promotants, and beta agonists prior to slaughter".

Brag about the technology that the conventional industry is so proud of for chripes sake.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...