• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 YEARS AGO TODAY !!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are you thinking $2500. an acre is a good average price? That explains a lot.

To get that kind of price in Manitoba you'd need to sell land that was intended to grow vegetables or build houses on. A potato farmer might pay it, but I haven't seen it happen personally. Land selling around here for 1500 is considered a record price. It doesn't happen often either. Only twice that I know of. And it's good land, too. No big oil money floating around this part of the province looking for a home.

Alberta is not the centre of the universe. It's not a good place to use as an example of what's happening in the rest of the country. There are other parts of the country that live in a totally different reality.

Comment

And what was that record price $1500/acre MB land
      selling for a decade ago - before BSE?

Comment

The sad reality is that apparently no one learned from the "Alberta growth" example of the last several decades.

And that same experience may well now be underway in portions of nearby Sask.

Just how does infrastructure and already dire health care shortages keep up with a plethoria of building and "mancamps" of 100 to 500 persons (each) moving in under the pretense of "lodges". Try five or six, either built or proposed in less than a 30 mile radius, plus OK'ed trailer courts and equivalents of new villages and towns in rural municipalities. And long term planning hasn't even acknowledged that this is happening; as if anyone cares as long as it is beside other parties and they aren't "affected"; whatever that means.

Rural property taxes went up 20% last year; and I'm predicting maybe a 50% increase in a certain RM this year. After all they have applied for up to 5.5 million in borrowing to cover this years expenses. Previous financial statements have recorded annual surpluses in the order of in excess of 1 million dollars. Thats just how fast one can go from healthy surpluses to not being able to pay the bills from current resources and taxes.

Remind anyone of the last Alberta provincial budget??? So is $2500 what a province wants their farmland to jump to.

Comment

The sad reality is that apparently no one learned from the "Alberta growth" example of the last several decades.

And that same experience may well now be underway in portions of nearby Sask.

Just how does infrastructure and already dire health care shortages keep up with a plethoria of building and "mancamps" of 100 to 500 persons (each) moving in under the pretense of "lodges". Try five or six, either built or proposed in less than a 30 mile radius, plus OK'ed trailer courts and equivalents of new villages and towns in rural municipalities. And long term planning hasn't even acknowledged that this is happening; as if anyone cares as long as it is beside other parties and they aren't "affected"; whatever that means.
          We may well be about set to have rotating "emergency services" at small hospitals within health care regions. That will really solve a chronic shortage of rural doctors; when combined with another thousand workers added to look after. This is absurd.... And for officials who decided to spend spent tens of thousands of taxpayers dollars to entice new doctor recruits....show the proof that every last cent wasn't a collossal failure in doing anything other than raising the ceiling of the incentive required to exceed another communities bribe package.
          Rural property taxes went up 20% last year; and I'm predicting maybe a 50% increase in a certain RM this year. After all one RM applied for up to 5.5 million in borrowing to cover this years expenses. Previous financial statements have recorded annual surpluses in the order of in excess of 1 million dollars. Thats just how fast one can go from healthy surpluses to not being able to pay the bills from current resources and taxes.

Remind anyone of the last Alberta provincial budget??? So is $2500 what a province wants their farmland to jump to.

Comment

The value of your land is nice to talk about over a cocktail during happy hour. What is your return on your new asset value now versus 2003 from cattle production. The herd in Canada has shrunk about 20 % or more I believe in the last few years. Quite the recovery.

Comment

Dog-patch

I am following you comments on both threads and you bring out some very valid points I want to respond to. We are so close to finishing seeding and getting cattle "pairs" for PFRA over this holiday long weekend that I am limited to my time on here.

"front Line veterinarians"--I agree very much with that comment. Some of those are/were close friends and colleagues of mine. Some care about the Cow-calf and the cattle industry.

When I got charged under section 176 of the animal act it was some of those same people that approached me and asked would I take on this challenge. They were frustrated with what was coming down from Central CFIA and Central Canada. All there efforts of coaching and reporting from the "field end" where not being listened too.

They knew I did not need a job with CFIA, They knew I am one CALLUS SON-OF A BITCH that would not back down from Beaurocracy and Bullshit.

We just came out of the HUGE SASKATCHEWAN LANDOWNER MOVEMENT that I volunteered to be "founding President for"and we took on the TYRANNCY OF ENBRIDGE PIPELINES. CAEPLA from SW Ontario taught me how to challenge Big Business, Government and how to get the media onside with you, Build and army and learn the problems by teaching others and share others misfortunes and your own.

This was sorting out the BULLSHIT from the three stooges (I MENTIONED THEM BEFORE)

THE CFIA, THE CCIA and the CCA or other check off cattlemen groups that we have in ALBERTA and SASKATCHEWAN.

Today those ones within CFIA who cared have and were able to retire and get out. Some are back on the farm/ranch and some even went back into a type of practice.

Today now CFIA struggles with new re-cruitment of manpower. Many are foreign and bring a language barrier and do not know western Canada agriculture culture.

When Employed with CFIA you cannot move up the ladder of command if on your evalutation you show any constructive ability of your own. The ones that move up the ladder "appear' To be those that just are willing to buy into the beaurocratic system and become "yes" people.

I was well coached taking on my case from inside.

Will respond to your thread on another post tonight.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...