• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Dowsing" straight from Canadian Society of Dowswers Web site

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dowsing" straight from Canadian Society of Dowswers Web site

..Become A Member
    The Journal
    Member Products & Services
    .. About Us
    What Is Dowsing?
    CSD Events
    Groups
    Articles
    Contact Us
    Member Offerings
    ..Join Now..Home » What Is Dowsing?.What Is Dowsing & Other Frequently Asked Questions
    Do you have a dowsing question that you need an answer to? Please email them to the webmaster at info@canadiandowsers.org They will be sent to a panel of dowsers for review and reply. Please note: Due to differing belief systems of individual dowsers, it may not be possible to combine individual panel members' responses into one answer. Thus, each response from a panel member will be shown separately below the question.

1.What is Dowsing?
    2.Discouragement re: dowsing practice
    3.Healing modalities and dowsing - how do they differ?
    4.Cleansing a pendulum
    5.I want DOWSING FACTS, not someone's "beliefs"!
    6.Broken water vein... where does it go?
    What is Dowsing?
    "I discovered dowsing, or divining, in 1986 from a kindly old man who helped me find my septic tank with two bent-up coat hangers. This was no big deal to him, but I was spellbound. I've been dowsing ever since. I immediately saw dowsing as a tool to increase spirituality. Dowsing gives us the ability to explore the unseen world of the subtle but powerful energies that are hidden behind all of life. When you dowse for water, you're really detecting the energy field of the water rather than the physical water. Since everything is ultimately energy, everything can be dowsed. With dowsing, you can explore and unlock the secrets of the universe."
    -- Joey Korn (Joey's website)

"Dowsing is one of those aspects of the socalled 'fringe sciences' that has direct and practical uses in everyday problems - despite its being somewhat temperamental and unreliable. Water-divining is perhaps its best known form, but the range of the applications of dowsing is enormous: it's mostly used to tackle problems that are beyond the scope of more conventional physically-based tools. To give an example, a common problem in building and rebuilding is to locate the old cables, drains and other services. Metal-detectors are often used for this, but they're a lot more difficult to use than one is led to believe, and, they're limited both in range and in what they can find. A cheap magnetic metal- detector (about £10) will have trouble, finding anything other than ferromagnetic materials a few inches below the surface; an expensive sonar- or radar-type detector (more like £100) can detect any metal and some other types of 'discontinuity', down to (at best) about five feet below the surface. Neither type is capable of discriminating easily between one substance and another. And beyond these limitations, if you have to use conventional tools, instruments get expensive - thousands of pounds, or more."
    -- Tom Graves (Tom's website)

"One of the major benefits of the study of geomancy is the awareness of the power of divination. While I started my training in this field as a dowser (my mother first taught me over forty years ago), I have since learned that there are many different kinds of divination, and to choose to limit oneself to only one tool is, well, really limiting. Some dowsers limit themselves to not only a single tool, but, say, "Only Y rods made of apple will work!" If you believe it, it's true. If you don't, it isn't."
    -- Sig Lonegren (Sig's website)

Discouragement re: dowsing practice
    I'm a new dowser and I have been trying tricks such as locating a coin under three glasses, and separating kings from queens from a pack of playing cards. My problem is that I am invariably getting the incorrect answer from the pendulum most of the time. This is very frustrating. Why do you think this is happening and what can be done to help?

Check what questions you are asking. For example - If your question was "Is there something under this glass?" you will always get a yes answer as there is always something under the glass - the table for one thing.
    -- Gary Skillen

I can understand your frustration all too well! It is a common problem. It seems that when you are just "practicing", the universe (or whatever name you give to the place from where you get your answers) doesn't take you too seriously. And thus doesn't give you the correct answers. Also no dowser, no matter how experienced, can dowse for winning lottery numbers.

I suggest you read Letter to Robin by Walt Woods. There is a free download at www.lettertorobin.org and especially study the section on programming and "when to trust your dowsing" and "asking the right question".

When practicing with playing cards or coins under a glass, I would limit the practice to no more than 10 minutes at a time, once a day. Check beforehand, by dowsing, to see if now is the best time to practise. Don't practise unless you get a YES. Check afterwards what percent you influenced the answers (use a chart numbered 1 to 100). There is a blank chart you can print out here.

Keep a record of the date, the number of tries, the number or percent of correct answers, and the percentage that you influenced the answers. Do this for 7 times (no more than once a day). Hopefully you'll start to see that you are getting more correct answers. If not, continue for another 7 days. What you want is to get better results than pure chance - don't expect to be 100% correct or even 80%. If after 14 days your results haven't noticeably improved then take a break for a week or so and then try again. However, some experienced dowsers never have success with this type of practice.

Please don't get discouraged, it might be better to practise by having someone hide something in your home and you use your dowsing to find it. Be very careful how you word your questions so there is no ambiguity.
    -- Diane Marcotte

Before I dowse, I always "zone in": my protocol is to connect with the intelligence of nature, with the Divine, with my spirit team, I ask to be guided in my dowsing for the best and highest good as appropriate. If you don't zone in to the Divine first, it's like picking up the telephone and taking advice from any random person who answers. You want to establish a relationship of trust with your guides. Then your answers get more accurate. One should always use the "May I ... Can I .... Should I .." before beginning any session, and when the focus of a session is changing.

Perhaps if the "card reading" isn't going well, you could try dowsing your foods to see if they're all supporting your health, or if you have a friend of family member with a health issue, dowse for them. You could try looking for detrimental or beneficial energies in your home.

Dowsing works when there is a real need, for example if a well is dry or for a missing object or to resolve a health issue. A real application would probably bring better results than a pretend one. Dowsing in service for someone else brings the best results. I also have a rule, that if I ask for advice, I follow it. For e.g. if the answer comes back "Coffee doesn't support your health", then I don't drink the coffee. The more you trust and respect the advice you get, the better the advice becomes. If you pay no attention to the advice, the universe won't bother giving it.

Personally, I'm never guided to do those card practices since they have no point. And if they're not working, it might be better to try something else completely - doing the same thing for 14 days will just be boring and become frustrating if there's no results.
    -- Susan Collins

When I first began to dowse, I tried practising on selecting red or black cards from a playing card deck, with a frustration similar to your own. I don't play cards very often, so maybe that influenced my lack of success.

One of the things that I practised on at the beginning, and still do frequently, is to dowse what clothes to wear. In the course of time, any decisions here are something less than earthshaking. Sometimes I would focus on a combination, and then ask for a pendulum opinion. Often it would agree. When it didn't, I would then explore my cupboard and chest of drawers, curious to see what "higher wisdom" suggested. Usually, I wear what is advised, again out of curiosity. Often, someone will comment about what I'm wearing. Perhaps it was for them that I wore the colour purple instead of blue! Dowsing for clothing is fun for me.

Another thing I have tried dowsing for is cooking food. I make homemade soup frequently. I check with my pendulum to see how much salt to put in, what herbs to add for flavour, which vegetables to use, how much soup base to add. I will ask if the soup has simmered sufficiently. The good part about this is that you can check with a spoon to see what you get. Occasionally, I have personally preferred to add more salt, or soya sauce, or garlic, and I have done so without guilt! I look at the pendulum in these situations as a "valued second opinion," but I feel free to make my own decisions on small matters if I happen to disagree with the answer.

Another enjoyable area for dowsing practice for me has been using some of the many sets of cards that are available these days. Some sets are traditional tarot, while others are angel messages, fairy messages, quotes from Conversations with God, etc.. You could use one of the many calendars with a nice quote of the day, even an outdated one. Set an intention for a message that will be helpful for you today. On a calendar of quotes, you could then dowse which month, which week, which day, and then read the message. Enjoy digesting it, and be thankful. See if you get the same messages frequently. Are they helpful? After a while, I began to feel that I was receiving welcome support that somehow seemed to be "custom-selected."

For me, learning to dowse was learning NOT to try to "guess right" (and I really like to be right!). Dowsing is a receiving process, not a figuring-out process. As we practise dowsing, we learn to relax the thinking processes we use to make decisions. We learn to become receptive to intuitive insights. One side of our brain handles thinking functions, while the other side handles intuitive reception, feelings, etc. Our society has tended to downplay intuitive knowledge, so most of us have rather undeveloped "listening to intuition" skills. Please be patient with yourself as you begin to practise. Your intention to develop your skill will be honoured. Dowsing is meant to be fun. It's meant to take the worry out of life, leaving us free to enjoy ourselves and others. It's meant to help us use our full brain power to tackle the challenges of life.
    -- Joan de New

Healing modalities - how do they differ?
    What is the difference between dowsing, the****utic touch and reiki when used to heal?

My pendulum's answer to the difference between reiki, the****utic touch and dowsing when used to heal is "nothing." In all three, the intention to channel healing is present. This is the prime thing. My husband, for example, has never taken any reiki training. Yet this past week, when he put his hands on my right knee which was complaining, I felt lots of heat flowing through.

I dowse to see if people need the energy of reiki, the****utic touch, etc. If they do, I ask that they get what they need. My pendulum swings while the delivery is in progress. I love watching my prayers go by! I get a bit of a sense of whether a lot or a little is needed.
    -- Joan De New

Chi, ki, prana, mana, etc are all names for the same energy. I believe that reiki, the****utic touch, and other healing modalities such as pranic healing, touch for health, etc are simply systems, used first to identify an energy imbalance, then to channel chi from the "universe" to the client. Each system differs only in its methodolity, the energy being transferred is identical in all cases. Dowsing, when used as a tool for healing, is another means of imparting healing energy to another. Rather than using one system alone (although it could be effective), many healing practitioners incorporate a variety of modalities into their healing technique. You may be attracted to certain aspects of a number of different healing modalities. By taking from each system only what resonates with you, you will develop your own technique which will be the most effective one for you personally.
    -- Diane Marcotte

Cleansing a pendulum
    I've heard about cleansing pendulums. How and when do I cleanse a pendulum? Does the pendulum material make a difference?

Many people worry a great deal about cleansing pendulums. It has never been a particular concern of mine. Perhaps it is because of how different people view their pendulums. I view mine as an amplifier of the kinesthetic (movement or muscle) message my body receives to the question I have asked. The movement is very tiny. The pendulum swings in response to the movement because of gravity. I figure I'm working for God. My pendulum and use of it are dedicated to God. Cleansing is no issue for me.
    -- Joan De New

Pendulums, used as a tool to obtain a response to a question asked, do not need to be cleansed. The confusion probably arises because some healing practitioners use a pendulum to identify where a client may have an energy deficiency/surplus; to determine the placement and spin of their chakras; to send healing energy; or perhaps to remove excess energy in their auric fields. There is a common belief that crystal pendulums may attract and hold energy from the healing session. The best way to determine if this is true, is to dowse! Just ask, by dowsing with a second pendulum, if any unwanted energy is attached to the pendulum. If there is, then you can ask that it be released "to the universe" and transmuted to neutral or beneficial energy. You can use your second pendulum or a bobber to do this. If you haven't yet set a program for releasing unwanted energy, you might consider having your pendulum or bobber swing in a counter-clockwise motion until all the unwanted energy is removed. Conversely, have the pendulum or bobber swing in a clockwise motion to bring in healing, beneficial energy. Depending on your normal swings for Yes/No, you may decide on the opposite rotations (i.e., clockwise swing to remove energy) or use any swing that you wish.
    -- Diane Marcotte

I want DOWSING FACTS, not someone's "beliefs"!
    I have noted on your webpage that there is a large variety of beliefs. I would prefer to find out some facts, and learn more about dowsing from the rational viewpoint, rather than dealing with the other stuff people drag into it. Is this possible?

I wish I could give you a rational explanation for dowsing. But to date, there is no explanation, scientific or otherwise, as to how dowsing works. There are just theories.
    A theory identifies the factors that may cause or affect the problem or situation. Science consists of the things we know about the world ...knowledge that is subject to change based on later and better information. In science, theories should explain, generate testable hypotheses, and be logical. The present theories for explaining dowsing do none of the above.

Trying to scientifically test a subjective art like dowsing is nigh on impossible. If dowsing worked because of magnetism between the object being searched for and the dowser's tool (rod, pendulum, etc.), then science should have been able to find the connection. They haven't.

Dowsers in the early twentieth century often believed that they needed a switch from a hazel (or willow tree) to find water. They thought the water and hazel switch had an affinity for each other, or a radiation of some sort was coming up through the ground and affecting the switch so that it turned downward in the dowser's hand. They were certain they did not move the stick! Scientists have found no evidence of any rays, electromagnetic or otherwise, coming up from the underground water. We do know that running water gives off ions, that ions moving in one direction are an electric current, and that an electric current produces a magnetic field. But there is no evidence a dowser is reacting to this (very weak) magnetic field. There are those who believe the metal rods react to this magnetic field which then causes a change in the dowser's own electric field, ultimately causing his/her hand to move the rod. However, dowsers can find water using wooden dowels or even without using a tool of any kind (deviceless dowsing)! And how would one explain map dowsing?

At this point, I subscribe to the school of thought that dowsers, through intent, can access the needed information using their intuition. But I cannot define exactly what I mean by "intuition", nor do I know what the process is or how it works. I just know I can dowse. The whys and hows I must leave for another time.

Once science can come to terms with, and understand, such things as consciousness, energy fields, etc. then experiments can be devised to test the various hypotheses. I would suggest you continue your search, accepting only the beliefs, explanations, etc. that resonate with you. Discard the rest.
    -- Diane Marcotte

Broken water vein... where does it go?
    When a water Vein is broken due to an earth fault or shift, does it re-route itself and re-connect to its original path; does it make a whole new path; or does it stagnate and go no-where? I have observed in at least one case that the vein appeared to find the original path on the down-side of the fault.

Anything is possible in nature - and direct observation combined with dowsing is a good way to figure out what's going on in a specific instance. The amount of shift in the water vein and resulting changes in water volume would depend on the degree of the shift and the underlying structure of the ground. In a highly fractured rock, for example, a small shift could result in a huge change and the water vein could find a completly new path. If the vein became blocked, it could "back up" and cause flooding upstream until it found another outlet.

Any shift could leave a large or small pocket of isolated water that would become stagnant over time.

You mention you have observed the water vein finding its old path, so this too is clearly possible.
    -- Susan Collins

And this from the "American Society of Dowsers"
    And contemplate this comment:By Bruce Irwin

All of your future dowsing experiences will involve Trust...and that's with a "capital T." As with your first 'signal' over a water vein from your dowsing tool, you are making a commitment to accept a higher power into your experiences, and yet it's without any physical confirmation other than your 'sixth sense,' returning through this tool!
    Unquote
    Wow this is powerful and SCARY stuff

Quote:

Dowsing
    If You Really Want To Find Water...
    By Carol Gader
    I am a long-time dowser, but have been dowsing for well sites for 15 years. I would like to tell you why you would want to hire a dowser. The first reason is that you would save a great deal of money. Well drillers get paid by the foot and will drill most anywhere that looks good and may go down hundreds to over a thousand feet to just find a dry hole. Hiring an engineer cost thousands of dollars and you still may come up with a dry hole. The second reason is the time and anguish spent in not knowing if you will really find clean water. Many intelligent people hire a dowser before they even buy a piece of property to make sure there is clean drinking water there.

There are many dowsing stories; here is one from my personal experience. I was called to dowse a well in Newfields, NH, about 2 hours east of Keene, NH where we live. The family had contacted a prominent well drilling company which had drilled 3 times on their property, just to find a dry hole each time, even going down to a depth of 1,300 ft. Feeling desperate, and using up their financial resources, they finally contacted me.

Please refer to the following letter for the rest of the story.

Dear Carol,

My wife Leisa and I wanted to send you this note to say thank you. We found you to be very professional, personable, prompt and knowledgeable. We are so thrilled and impressed with your dowsing talents that we want your future customers to hear our story.

I must admit, being a software engineer, I was a bit skeptical at first, but you have made a true believer out of me! Thanks again Carol!

Last year my wife and I bought a lovely wooded piece of property in a mature development in Newfields, New Hampshire. We purchased the last lot in this tranquil 15 year old development of about 50 homes. We broke ground just before winter and the house began to take shape very quickly over the next few months. Just before spring our general contractor suggested we get our well in and he choose a convenient spot behind the house along the tree line. We felt confident that we could dig a well and get sufficient water for our house, just as all our neighbors have done. To that end, we had a prominent area well drilling company come in and begin the work. This would turn out to be one of four wells that this company would end up drilling on our property and the beginning of an expensive nightmare-like ordeal!

The first well attempt went to 950 feet, yielding almost no water. We were stunned. The second attempt went to over 1300 feet yielding no water whatsoever. We were now in a state of shock and disbelief. Desperation set in as we prepared for our third attempt. On our third attempt we drilled to 700 feet hitting yet again nothing but bedrock and absolutely no water! We became almost paralyzed with fear. The drilling company wanted to continue to drill deeper on the third hole. The expense of this effort was spiraling completely out of control and I was becoming an emotional train wreck. These efforts to find water and have a successful well had become a nightmare. Our home, now nearly 65% built, would be lost without water. We had to have a well that produced at least six gallons a minute to get an occupancy permit from the state. After three failed attempts I was starting to give up hope and began regretting our decision to purchase this property.

As I began to sink deeper into despair my wife struck up a conversation with her aunt who recommended that we give Carol (a professional dowser) a call. A dowser I thought? As I mentioned, I was skeptical about using a dowser. I knew nothing of dowsing and basically thought it was a kin to tarot cards and palm reading. However, after some research, and talking to Carol on the phone, I actual began to feel better about dowsing and our potential prospects of finding water.

My wife and I agreed to give the dowsing a try. We scheduled Carol to do a dowsing. Carol and her husband arrived promptly and got to work. Carol marked off three spots on our property that she said would yield water. Carol give us details on each location including depth of water, probable yield and water quality. I must admit, my wife and I were now even more perplexed and confused… Carol had “not” picked the spot that we had previously chosen as our next most likely drill attempt site! The best yielding location, according to Carol, was about 250 feet from our house in a thickly wooded area. Carol was confident… however, I began calculating aloud…”this would mean additional costs to make the attempt including clearing trees, making a service road, and digging a 250 foot, five feet deep trench back up to the house for the eventual water pipes should we hit water.” I guessed this attempt would cost an additional 5 thousand dollars not including the drilling costs.

The spot my wife and I picked previously seemed so much more convenient and inexpensive. I didn’t know what to think anymore. Yet Carol remained confident. Carol explained that the site she choose would yield all the water we would possibly need. Carol’s prediction was that the site she choose would yield 14 to 16 gallons of water a minute at a drilling depth of only about 250 feet! I think I asked everyone we know what should we do? We had already spent so much money on the other three well attempts, how could we justify spending even more than we had planned for this next attempt without some clear demonstrable evidence? We were emotionally drained and exhausted… why couldn’t this be easier?

After wrestling with just making a decision for over a week, my wife and I decided to go with Carol’s recommendation. Our general contractor, Bob, got to work clearing the trees and making a service road. A week later the drilling company arrived to drill on the spot Carol had recommended. My wife and I were both nervous wrecks….what if Carol was wrong? My stomach was churning and my hands were sweating as we awaited word from the drilling company.

My wife went out to the house to be on site while the drilling was being done. At about 11 AM we were told that they hit water, about 4 to 5 gallons at about 200 feet. Not enough… Discouraged, my wife left to go get lunch for the kids. At noon I received a call from the drilling company… they hit big! The mother load! At 280 feet they were getting well over 20 gallons a minute! So much water was gushing up that the drill rigging became swamped and they had to stop. Carol wasn’t just right, she hit the bull’s eye, a grand slam! We would have more than enough water to do what ever we wanted! I immediately called my wife and then Carol. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders! Our project had been saved!

Thank you Carol! Your skill and expertise are clear and evident on this project and I will gladly recommend your services to all who may inquire.

Sincerely,
    Kevin and Leisa Thompson
    36 Bassett Lane
    Newfields, NH

Carol Gader dowses for well sites, garden placements, plants, and fertilizers, ghosts or incarnates, and health and well-being. [health and well-being of the body, mind, and spirit, plus the health of the home.] She also lectures and teaches dowsing all over New England and Florida and at the National Dowsing Convention, Northeast Organic Association, and Changing World Changing Times. She is a Trustee of ASD and Chairman of the Membership Committee. She may be reached at dowser@healthierlives.net, or www.healthierlives.net, 603 357-4699 or (winter, 941-981-9478.)

Comment

From the same site; but also an opportunty for Paul Harvey to see if there is another side to the story.

Its clear that sometimes sensible consumers don't demonstrate rational behavior all the time. As the story admits and ithappens all the time; the customers bring the subject up in the vast majority of cases. And guess what....any salesman would accommodate. Its probably foolish for a drilling company to do otherwise. And fortunately; it is very unclear in this story if the driller didn't choose the drill site based on the geological and scientific data that also admits he has available and maybe always uses. Just maybe a convenient site was chosen which met setup requirements and obstacles, setbacks from various dangers and a convenient location for everyone. And another line on the invoice for "dowsing services".

There's no limit to naiveity.

water witching
      BY DAVID MERCER

Associated Press

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- Well driller Randy Gebke usually uses a geology database and other high-tech tools to figure out where to sink new water wells for clients. But if asked, he'll grab two wires, walk across the property, waiting for the wires to cross to find a place to drill.

Gebke is water witching, using an ancient method with a greater connection to superstition than science.

Thousands of wells have gone dry this summer in the worst drought the nation has experienced in decades. Some homeowners are spending as much as $30,000 to have new ones drilled, and Gebke said most potential customers in his area expect water witching to be part the deal.

"Over 50 percent of the time in that conversation, they ask do we have a witcher on the crew," he said. "And my response is, `We have a witcher on every crew.'"

Comment

What a nice way to wake up on a Sunday morning.

Thanks for the read "dowser".

Glad to see that their is no human agenda, or monetary purpose behind your post. Otherwise you may get booted for trying to "sell" something. LOL

But then -- what is opinion if not a sales pitch.

There is scientific explanation behind dowsing, just like any other superstitious religious belief. And that explanation is in the word "belief".

We all create reality "matter" with our beliefs, "thoughts", and the best way to start is with spirit "universal intelligence".

If we create reality from beliefs alone, we will eventually be lost. We must begin with the infinite intelligence that can only be found in the space between, thought and reality.

Science will always tell us that nothing is supernatural. There are always laws surrounding thought.

Comment

Alert!!!!

"Broken water veins" may cause "backups" and "stagnate" water contained therein. Are we ever lucky that some "dowsers" are able to steer customers clear of that common problem.

Haven't yet run across any mention of "Hydologic cycles" which give a pretty clear picture of how water vapor from evaporation; condenses from clouds; falls to the earth, some soaks into the soil, may be diverted by confining layers; then stored; pumped out or discharged through springs and flowing wells etc.; while other rain and precipitation portions run off through forces of gravity and the cycle repeats itself over and over.

It does explain a lot that most reasonable persons could relate to.

Comment

oneoff: You make eminent good sense...a breath of fresh air on this forum.

Comment

Thanks. A guy needs encouragement once in a while.

Comment

One day we saw a story about dowsing on the TV and decided to try it ourselves. We got some coat hangers, bent them, and went outside with them. Lo and behold I found every buried water line in the yard.

Don't know how it works, or why, but it was fun to do.

Comment

Just be sure you located everyone of them. Just one missed 14,400 volt underground wire will take all the fun out. Those high voltage wires are wrapped with a shield of bare wires and even SaskPower can have great difficulty locating some of them. There's even the possibility that your new found skills don't pick up "everything" and the possibilty that your knowledge of your yard is more important than you realize.

I'm not against fun; and hope reasonable people (who correctly realize and understand when they don't know what they are doing or how something actualy works) don't start depending on something they will later regret.

As for water dowsing; one would be wise to first read the current knowledge associated with this trade. Water associated with fractures in solid granite rocks isn't common where up to 10,000 feet of sediments bury the pre Cambrian shield. And that is SE Sask for example. And I assure you that bedrock formations are basically lain down in layers throughout the Williston basin. Ask any oil geologist. Water zones are but the upper layers of that basin.
                  In any area with coal seams and Ravenscrag/ Frenchman Whitemud water bearingformations you can count on the aquifers being above and below( and within the coal seams.) Bedrock sands and sandy clays, blackjack layers and greasy clays and coal can all be layered within any 10 foot interval. Not a thing is coarser than sugary sand and most is more like pepper; and it commonly circulates without much settling from the drilling mud. Many a test hole is deliberately drilled through and maybe even missed in search of a thicker hopefully more productive zone. You'll be lucky to find a 3 to 10 foot thickness of clean formation
                  And there is but one chance to complete any formations by placing a sand pack outside the screen to prevent a never ending supply of the finest sand (the consistency of the valve grinding paste) from being produced with the water.

You don't learn these things by walking over the surface with inanimate objects taking on lives of their own. You could keep a geologist busy just keeping track of the samples coming up as cuttings. And the water isn't usually flowing through the ground. It may well move a few feet per year under natural gradients. Thats why deep bedrock aquifers aren't affected by droughts of even several years duration. It might take a hundred years for water to even reach depths of a few hundred feet and is more likely that recharge (at a particular location) comes from a horizontal direction rather than from a vertical direction. Again that is due to the layers tending to have been laid down as "blankets" that create much greater horizontal permeabilities than horizontal permeabilities (as a rule).

If I had to choose a single piece of information; I would suggest that a properly run e-log contains the best non-subjective information. But the more pieces of the puzzle; the better. And any bad information is totally destructive to the picture; if the sources of error aren't fully understood.

Perhaps an old experienced driller once summed things up best. A young customer had hired him to drill his well; and after the test hole had been completed; it was evident the customer was getting second opinions on the depth at which the well should be completed.
                  The old fellow kept his cool and finally said calmly; "do you want me to put it in the wrong place". I'll always remember that; and there has never been any doubt on the part of anyone involved what the right decision was.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...