• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripping Snow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping Snow

How many are pondering the possibility of going into calving with the snow pack intact? I've still got 4 weeks to go before they start dropping but don't like the chances of losing this snow cover by then. So I'm wondering what is the best plan to strip the snow from calving areas so the ground can dry up. So far I'm thinking to push the snow off some prairie a few days before the calves start to come. Has anybody else got a better plan?

I'd try patience. The long range forecast here is
    showing the first week of April at between 5-10C.
    That's about when it usually warms up so i'm not
    worrying yet. We actually have less snowpack than
    usual after that chinook in January and a few warmer
    days recently.

Comment

My definition of what a long range forecast should be is looking as far across the land as you can see. Perhpas ontop of your biggest hill. Weather forecasting is as useful as macro economics.

Comment

We had to get RM grader in to clear a spot in a sheltered area to put pairs. It is like a long never ending snow fence.

Are snow in sheltered area is over a yard and hard. Interesting times.

SCS

Comment

There was just a Richie sale in edm ASRG did
          you go buy something you need to tell us
          about???

I don't trust forecasts past 3 days but do use the
          long term forecasts to watch the trends.

Comment

-34 here yesterday. Neighbor cow had triplets all
            alive.

Comment

I agree that patience might pay off. However if the snow is still there a week before the calves are starting I want to have a plan. Someone told me that a fool with a plan is better off than a genius without one.

Am I to take it that you are in the snow plowing business ASRG??

Comment

Supposed to start calving April 20. If the snow is still here then, THE PLAN will be: hold the bulls back until even later next year. I am done calving in any form of snow and intend to keep it that way.

But the longer winter lasts, the quicker the melt will be.

Comment

Clean snow off shelter areas, allows the ground to freeze up way better than with snow cover.Less slop when things do warm up. If it ever does, where did this global warmer disappear to.Easier to clean beding areas without a pile of snow underneath as the straw acts like a insulation and of the snow and never seems to melt off until July.

Comment

Forage, I agree completely. Clearing snow is not easy or cheap but will have to be done to get any good bed ground for the calves. We are so white (and getting whiter today) that the sun has no effect on the snow. I know it will eventually go but when??

Comment

Just looked at weather. Long-term here is talking rain showers instead of snow showers by 25th of March or so.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...