• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some good people...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron, do you still have the contact info of the Federal Inspector that we spoke to?

Comment

Well, GF, must be great to have all the answers and right cattle.
      We were just getting going, developing our market, when BSE hit...and it kicked! We are fine now, thank you...think even some of your customers have come this way.... check out www.evgelbvieh.com...maybe thre is something there for you ;-)

Comment

We must also remember that without the political environment set up by the BSE fiasco, there would have been no traction for bringing in MCOOL.

And it just keeps on going....

Comment

I'm sure the Feds will be impressed with the
          magnitude of your hardship perfecto. $19,000 bulls,
          $16,000 cows. These prices sound like they could
          ruin a guy.

Comment

Even with those prices (and it was only 1 bull...1 cow, and real prices)...I will still not make back what I lost. I just got lucky! (And sold the factory…which you have to do when semi-retiring)
            But it really isn't about what I lost.. it’s about what we lost in the backbone of our country. The loss of belief that our Gov. is there to do the "right thing". The loss of people that were on the verge of retiring and lost; not because of their doing, but someone else’s. You and I will do OK, GF, Randy will keep forging away and find a way; but there were some that couldn't. We are asked to believe in the system, rebel rousers if we don't...but the system takes care of the system, not those who feed it.
            Had asked a breeder that was in a long time before I was...would have a longer record of financials before BSE, to help out with their records. Their response was that they really wanted to leave it the past...it was painful and they really would rather forget it.
            I don’t fault them, they have their reasons, just as I have mine....but each time we don’t stand up, we lose a little more power.
            Sounds soap boxy…but hey…

Comment

Soap boxy is good. We need more of it. In fact, here's some more...

Back when we were circulating the petitions, I spoke to people who were absolutely devastated by all this. Especially in Manitoba. There are large parts of this province that are cattle country, and that's about it. There is no job in town. Town is too far away. There is no option to grow grain. There certainly was no oil patch, with the exception of one corner of the province, and that was in it's infancy back then. The cattle were a lot of people's only source of income.

The thing that sticks in my mind was when I got a message from a girl who heard that we were trying to help, and who was watching her father suffer terribly. She said that it made her cry when she saw that finally someone cared. I will never forget that.

There were a lot of people suffering, and who had no hope for the future, and were watching their life's work just fade away to nothing. They were feeling isolated, and alone.

This is about much more than money. We all used to be the ones who were so proud to be able to make it on our own. We didn't need any government handouts. We didn't need any charity. Cattle were a major force in this country's economy.

Overnight, suddenly the joke was that leaving your kids the cowherd was the worst form of child abuse. Any time you met up with your relatives, the first question was "Why haven't you sold the cows yet?" Personally, I got pretty sick of all that very quickly.

Then I got mad.

Which is what we all need to do. We finally have a chance to see some justice, so we can't let this opportunity slip away. It will be our last one. I suggest everyone put their thinking caps on, and go over a list in their heads of all the people they know, to find just the right ones to help make this right. They are out there. We just need to find them.

Comment

Kato I know what you mean when people ask you about the cattle.I lost a lot of land to CONEXUS CREDIT UNION -REGINA. It used to bother me when people ask are you still farming? Now I say thanks to C.C.U. I'M stricly in the cattle business.I did get to know their LAWYER [NOT A BAD GUY] he said the problem is that the GOVERMENTS SHOULD BE HELPING THE CATTLEMAN and I respect him for that.

Comment

Categories one to four are filled. Five more to go.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...