• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Savory presentation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical observation is just hot air too if you
    misinterpret the information the way mainstream
    science/society has for so long as was ably pointed
    out by Savory in his presentation. He can explain the
    20 failed civilizations - conventional wisdom/thinking
    can't so we continue to make flawed policies.

Comment

As a mere mortal I accept my destiny along with the rest of my kind. If the gods don't want us here we won't be here. I do wonder though how Savory explains the desertification of Ellesmere Island which was a boreal forest and home to camels 3 million years ago. Was it monkey business?

Comment

Come on HT you'll have to raise your game if your
        attempts to discredit Allan Savory are to be taken
        seriously.
        I've never heard Savory claim that all climate change
        is caused by humans. That however does not mean
        that we should ignore the significant effects that man
        is obviously having on the environment.
        Obviously his theories are primarily based on what
        were traditionally the grasslands of the world that are
        now desert, pasture and crop land. Boreal forest was
        clearly never the domain of huge herds of herbivores
        crowded together by predators.

Comment

Very interesting presentation by Alan Savory. Will David or Goliath win?
          Good question.....so far it looks like Goliath is kicking Davids butt!
          It is unfortunate that our "elite" politicians can't understand the concepts of simple common sense to remove carbon....instead of this completely foolish, and incredibly expensive, C02 sequestration? Billions of dollars wasted on an unproven high tech scheme.

Comment

Dont know if it is so much David vs Goliath as much as it is humans and their thoughts about money. If you challenge a producer to be more responsible, what is his excuse? Can't afford it. If you challenge a consumer to buy products produced without chemical enhancement? Can't afford it.

My only excuse for Monsanto or Cargill is that they are simply profit driven companies. Read a book once where a large group of high ranking chem ag employees at a personal retreat were asked to create utopia in a short essay and they all chose a natural approach to agriculture along with a number of other very compassionate plans.

Money is a wonderful thing. Just needs to be used properly. Kinda like computers or the one thing that changes the world..... the human mind.

Comment

Quite often it is about money....and the fact is if the farmer can't make any money....he'll be gone and the next guy will step in.
              Most grainfarmers will tell you chemical farming works for their bottom line. They aren't being paid to save the world.
              Now that might very well be short term thinking....but at the end of the day...if you can't make it pay you will get to join the rest of the peasants living in the slums and someone else will be farming your land.
              In an ideal world we would have governments who cared about their people and protect the food supply, however I don't see that happening?
              They approve this stuff. It isn't diminishing....it's increasing! Just about every farmer in my area now does a pre harvest burnoff with Roundup. I don't see any kind of mandatory labelling for GMO foods, or non hormone/non antibiotic meat.....in most stores?
              It's pretty tough for the poor to pay a premium for organic food.

Comment

i have yet to know a farmer or rancher who has taken the natural or organic route loose his farm. Might have to give up some rented land or maybe even sell a piece of ground -- or God forbid --- MOVE--- LOL. I takes a pretty major shift in thinking I agree, however responsibility for more than just ourselves or our families is like that.

Don't get me wrong ASRG, I would still like to see government and industry take a role in this responsibilty game, however someone has to start the ball rolling.

Changing and giving up are two different things in my mind.

The idea that farmers and ranchers simply can not change due to financial woes is almost as limiting as the one that most people use. "we can not feed the people of the planet without chemicals and fertiliser and all the wonderful things that Monsanto and the likes have given to us.

Horse shit I say.

Comment

I think to be sustainable a whole bunch
                  of Davids have to make the switch
                  themselves. Not sure it will occur fast
                  enough as the status quo is geared
                  towards the status quo.
                  I know what we have seen and what we
                  show a lot of people that come to visit
                  and some are interested and more have a
                  reason why it can't work for them
                  (usually they like to work too hard and
                  take jobs away from mother nature).

Comment

Hers's yer chance boys. Probly won't have to loose yer farms... LOL

Organic farmers hunt for cash crop farmers

by Owen Roberts

Organic food consumption is increasing everywhere, but organic production is not keeping pace.

That means producers and processors are missing out on a profitable niche, and consumers are not getting as much local product as they could.

Yorkshire Valley Farms, Canada's leading fresh organic chicken producer, wants to change that. The company, whose main farm is near Peterborough, Ont., is looking for conventional farmers who are open to considering organic production and growing certified organic feed.

"It all starts in the soil," says Yorkshire Valley Farms president James Sculthorpe. "We need organic feed to grow organic chickens, so we're trying to move some conventional growers over to organic. For sustainability, we want to remove some of the barriers about growing organic crops."

Many of those barriers are based on a lack of knowledge and education about organic production possibilities. With that in mind, Yorkshire Valley is hosting an information day on March 13, in Norwood, Ont. The company hopes to convince some conventional farmers that organic production is worth a look. Guest speakers will cover such topics as cost of production, production practices (including transitioning to organic), and profitability.

Sculthorpe notes that farmers are businesspeople who "want to pursue the greatest return on their investment.

"We suggest they consider organic," he adds.

He says one reason organic production should appeal to conventional farmers is the sector's growth. Although it's still a niche, organic livestock production is one of the fastest growing sectors in Ontario, with organic poultry yielding an annual growth rate of 30 per cent over the past five years.

But for the sector to be sustainable, organic feed supplies need to increase. Finding and nurturing more Ontario sources is critical if the sector is to meet the needs of consumers demanding local food, Sculthorpe says.

"Without farmers putting more land into organic production, consumers end up with inflated costs for organic food," Sculthorpe says. "We have some of the best farmland anywhere in Ontario, and we have the potential to be a leader in organic production."

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...