• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PASTURE PATRONS MEETING SASKATOON

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PASTURE PATRONS MEETING SASKATOON

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=2012-03-06175407.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=2012-03-06171000.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

Here is an overview. Over 250 pasture patrons registered for this meeting packing the hall for this venue in Sutherland. Many cattemen drove 4-5 hours to be present. Provincial Minister of Ag Lyle Stewart spoke first after welcoming remarks to this large concerned audience of cattlemen.

Lots of media attention present. TV, radio stations and newspaper reporters.

Manitoba quest speaker shared how far Manitoba was in their organized group of PFRA pastures and shared how the Government of Manitoba was working with this group moving forward. That certainly "woke up" the Saskatchewan Lands group personnel in the room yesterday.

The afternoon session was alot of discussion but at the end of the 2 hours a new association of pasture patrons was formed with the current steering committee moving forward and being the bridge to a structure of a new pasture patrons association which wants representation from the 7 PFRA pasture districts..

The SCA conference started yesteray as well in Saskatoon and a few from the SCA (non PFRA) were in our attendance??

The AGM today of the SCA has many of these cattlemen that are PFRA pasture patrons staying around to be part of the vote today on two critical resolutions that will be brought forward at the SCA AGM.

At least there is a grassroots organization that could be representing about 2000 PFRA pasture patrons. Comments were that it was a great informative meeting that was well prepared. The story will go out into all communities across this province and grow from there.

Comment

Good work Ken

Comment

Bueno. That is great.

Comment

The SCA annual meeting AGM this new pasture patrons group did not receive the support on the resolutions that were put forward for this meeting.

This did not surprise myself. The only support the SCA gave was to ask for a "stay" or slow down on the first 10 pastures that were scheduled to be gone this year.

Talking with some old contacts that were present from Alberta the comment came forward. Segregation of cattle groups are present in both provinces.

Comment

It's that same old divide and conquer principle. It seems all across the country, the mainstream organizations have lost touch with what the people they are supposed to represent actually want.

All the more reason why we need the SADIE's of this world. Somebody's got to stir the pot and get them to look up out of their gopher holes.

Comment

There were interesting dynamics at play in the room for sure. Lots of turf protecting.

Comment

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=img564.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=img545.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Here is the map of Saskatchewan. The 62 pastures are broken into 7 districts and represent about 2000 pasture patrons.

Gary E. I am working on an email tonight to all the rural veterinary clinics in the province to thank them for also reaching out to their client base list that knew who was a PFRA pasture patron in their area Several of our profs from WCVM also attended with a very keen interest in what an organized new group of PFRA pasture patrons can mean to the dynamics of the cattle industry in Saskatchewan. They were very supportive of this movement as well.

The division of the cattle groups in this province is becoming more obvious all the time now. I think more and more cattlemen will learn quickly the process of getting back their check-off $$$$ as well from now on.

Comment

Good man you've elected president of your
                      Association Sadie! Got a chuckle out a bunch of
                      western ranchers electing a "friend of the CWB" to
                      lead their campaign. I guess you've just got to elect
                      the best people to get the job done.

Comment

Glad to see this going Sadie. I still
                        cannot see why a government would get rid
                        of the PFRA pastures when they were a
                        breakeven proposition, created rural jobs,
                        and protected millions of acres of fragile
                        ecosystems and native rangelands. It
                        boggles the mind how any government could
                        not find a way to spin that in a positive
                        direction.

Comment

smgrath--I agree with you totally. This is a very complex and difficult situation to fully understand. Going forward as pasture patrons meet and exchange knowledge we keep learning more and more of "WHY".

Species at risk I have heard now that there is over 300 species at risk. These were being protected under SARA Species at Risk Act which meant federal funding. It really comes home to play in this province when you look at the grass land components that need the native prairie to survive.

The public I believe is really coming on board with this in regard to the provinces Flower---The Prairie Lily. Some have already dubbed it the SAVE THE PRAIRIE LILY CAMPAIGN.

Grassfarmer--you are very correct. Our new president who I never met before until we started reaching out and bringing other pasture patrons together is very good. Really this new group that is forming has many producers that are the mixed farmer. Many are not the big corporate giants but a mixed farmer with cows. They need PFRA pasture for the summer months with professional management and then the cows come home and graze on their fenced stubble land. Many of us like the path of diversification because we know there will be a year of poor quality grains or years ahead of lower grain price and the cow-herd what many of us have will help market those grains.

At the SCA general meeting on Thursday I enjoyed being able to "sit back" and watch a new and very talented group of this newly formed association tackle the "tight knitted group" of the "Old Boys Club" that really showed a "tight Governance" of this SCA association.

I will enjoy and support this movement whole-heartedly going forward because it means survival for many of our farm/ranch operations but the jobs that the Management and riders provide in the communities across Saskatchewan (Map above) is overwhelming.

Looking back now this "downloading" process of the PFRA pastures have been in the process for some time. Hopefully a new grass roots movement groundswell can keep gaining momentum and keep receiving the publics support to push it back to a level something, some structure is created to keep something in place. It had to come from the Pasture patrons.

Eg: Some pasture patron chairman have their own agendas. Possible some of them are part of the SCA governance level. Some of this information of the pasture patrons organizational meeting did not get down through those channels to the patrons in those pastures. I do believe that now through social media, the supports like the Practicing Veterinary clinics and those 250 patrons in that hall on Wednesday the word will get out to all the patrons and create huge discussions at each pastrue level now.

Will keep agriville posted --going forward. Thankyou for the support.

Comment

Sadie: The leadership of this new
                            association are convinced that patrons
                            need to pay them 180,000 dollars to
                            negotiate on there behalf because they
                            are not smart enough to negotiate for
                            themselves. This divide and conquer
                            theory is ridiculous. I am going to
                            suggest to every patron that I meet that
                            they not pay that 100 dollar fee and
                            they make it clear to government that
                            this group does not speak for them.

Comment

Roscoe--each to his own.

Goverment does not listen to an individual but only to an association.

This movement of pasture patrons into an association already is going to help ot everyone involved just by sharing of Knowledge.

If there can be a "stay" or slow down on the first 10 named already I know that has made 4 of the pastures very relieved.

If you were in that room on Wednesday it was great hearing what Manitoba group is looking at for a per day leasing arrangement. That rattled the cage of the lands group that was present from SASK.

Those comments were over the air at noon the next day with Neil Belinger.

Sharing of knowledge to help others is the key to any association.

Segregation of the cattle industry is becoming more and more apparent in this fine province isn't it?

Maybe just maybe with the whole complexity of this and now the media attention this might keep getting going forward alot of different things just might happen????

Have fun and see what the democratic decision is within each PFRA pasture group.

Associate membership is already gaining interest in this. In our area other producers have asked how can they help? Now with the exact knowledge of how their mandatory check off $2.00 PER HEAD can be got back that has created some excitement as well. Several veterinary clinics I already talked to today want to post that information on their walls of the clinic.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...