• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flax Bale Shelters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flax Bale Shelters

We are plannning to add some extra shelter for our cows by using big square flax bales. Has anyone had any experience preventing the cattle from eating the flax? We were thinking that there might be something that could be sprayed on the bales that the cattle would not like and that would offer some medium to long term results. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have not run across anything that could be sprayed on the bales. What I have seen that works is wrapping the bales in chicken wire, yes they can lick out some of the flax but can't get all the way through the bale. I have seen this done for pig barns and Lamas. The big trick is attaching the wire to something. Any time we introduce something to the cows we need to consider what happens if they do eat it even if it is only a little bit. Hope that helps

Comment

If you use silage bags, recycle the bags by using them as bale covers. You could use those tarp holders that work like nylon stocking garter belts to attach the ties to.

Comment

The cows will eat very little unless they are lacking something in their diet. A friend uses big round flax straw bales for his shelter, and they do not eat any the first year, but the second year they eat a bit, not much though. If your cows eat the flax straw they are looking for something in their diet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...