• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perspective on trade

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"farmers_son "What they are asking for is some relief from the financial pressure they are feeling and unfortunately there is no easy solution for that."
    Easy solutions - maybe not but at least ABP could try. Instead you seem to be intent on benefiting everyone but primary beef producers.

Defeated resolutions at your AGM:

#5 ABP Conduct a study to determine a 2 – 5 year sustainability of beef producing farms. DEFEATED
    #6 ABP lobby that beef importation be stopped. DEFEATED
    #7 ABP lobby the provincial government for compensation for cow/calf producers for this year. DEFEATED
    #10 ABP develop a cow/calf council with same standing as the cattle feeder council. DEFEATED
    #13 Lobby to allow BSE testing. DEFEATED
    #15 Lobby for ban on packer ownership. DEFEATED
    #16 Ban packer ownership of fed cattle. DEFEATED

I won't even bother posting the slate of resolutions that called for changes in the way ABP is run or demands that ABP actually consult it's members on what their opinions are - needless to say all were defeated.
    Also omitted are the resolutions that disappeared between the fall producer meetings and the AGM. Things that producers wanted adopted as policy but the leadership choose to override.

One such resolution was moved by me at my zone meeting where it was carried but then disappeared. I'd like to share it with readers and let them tell me why it is such a bad idea.
    " Be it resolved that ABP research the potential opportunities for increased feeder and fat cattle production off grass rather than grain diets, taking into consideration the economic and environmental benefits of such a move."

I thought this was a better and more relevant resolution than the one that was approved at the previous year's AGM where ABP decided to spend money researching higher yielding barley varieties to compete with US growers increasing corn yields so that we could remain lower cost fatteners of cattle.
    Well I'm no agrologist but I'm pretty sure you will never top US corn yields with Canadian barley yields - it just ain't going to happen. Colder climate and lower yielding crop - end of story. And then there is the ethanol byproducts angle that will always give the US the advantage.
    A typical short sighted policy decision by ABP - showing they can only think of maintaining the status quo by tying producers to the same low cost commodity beef production that is failing them now. Whereas a chance to produce a potentially higher value, differentiated product that could access new markets and enhance producers returns is slipped under the table where it will never see the light of day.
    Where is the logic in this??

Comment

Agreed farmers_son that people will deal with the most immediate need first and for some producers, the wolf is at the door.

What do you see as some of the short term solutions to alleviate the mounting pressure that producers feel?

More CAIS money? Interest free loans to help through the rough spots - you can't borrow your way out of trouble.

As hard as it might be, now might be the time for change. If we are going to continue to rely so heavily on export markets, then we need to adopt things that will help to reduce and/or alleviate the barriers to trade.

Comment

grassfarmer, the following resolution has not disappeared from ABP. The operative word here is 'research'. ABP does not do research, but does fund some research that has been identified by producers as being a priority.

This resolution will be addressed by the Technical Committee whose mandate is research.

" Be it resolved that ABP research the potential opportunities for increased feeder and fat cattle production off grass rather than grain diets, taking into consideration the economic and environmental benefits of such a move."

Comment

Grassfarmer, (and others) you mean to tell me that up until now ABP hasn't really looked at this issue and the opportunities? There is a plethora of information on the benefits of grass production out there.

This seems to me to be an area of great potential and they are just putting forth a resolution now?

Oh my!!!!

Comment

Cakadu, This issue has been raised as a resolution twice by me in the last three years in my zone and on other occasions by a friend of mine also in this zone - thus far nothing has ever transpired of it. I will be interested to see if the appropriate committee acts on it this time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...