• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD40, I agree on the returns ABP are putting in producers pockets they should be working out of the back room at an auction mart. That said I have nothing against people have fancy offices IF they were deserving of them.

Will post thoughts on your age verification comment on a new thread.

Comment

Bingo numbercaller.

It's always difficult to negotiate these sites after rants when you don't know who is reading or responding. I appreciate that some folks simply do not want to expose themselves and please do not think that my purpose is for notoriety. I simply think that we have all been hiding too long and if it takes an exposure from someone like myself who could care less what others think of my words - then so be it.

Sure makes for an interesting introduction with those who see me agin, or for the first time. I would recommend it to anyone - it's fun.

In fact that brings me to a suggestion for the ABP website. Let's start an online forum at the ABP website to discuss industry goings on without the big Oak Doors and the brass knobs. Or the camera and mikes that I still don't know were off the whole time we borrowed the board room for a producer initiated meeting. ----In fact maybe they should be turned on all the time. They have cameras and mikes on at the leg and parliament buildings where elected delegates debate issues.

How bout it - transparency and even invitation to opposition - sounds like a move out of stone age democracy to me.

Oh yes and about the board room - I am going to work over a resolution to allow any checkoff paying group to book the damn thing when it is not being used by someone else. Of course the ABP - in whatever form they may be in after 2007 - would have first dibs and if it ended up being the upstairs coffee room at Highwood Auction Mart, I guess the producer group would have to decide if they wanted something that posh or not. LOL

Comment

Thanks rkaiser this isn't my first trip to this site as I have stood up for your honor here before. Frankly I don't need introduction, or anonymity. Have a good one

Comment

Nomination day is done. Aug. 31. Sure hope we see at least an election in my zone. Already preparing a speech. Would hate to have the chairman sit me down when I present it during the resolution portion of the meeting rather than a as an election platform. Hope to see as many folks out this fall as possible. I think we are all going to see some very interesting developments to say the least. Even looking forward to the yearly film about how many folks have moved through the doors of the office. Darn transient workers.

Comment

We have an election in Zone 6 and in one other zone as well. All of the other zones will be filled with acclamation seats. Hope to see a turnout at the fall zone meetings - I know there are a few of you agriville folks in Zone 6.

Comment

Only two elections, wow, I think that tells you how incensed the beef producers of this province are with the current state of affairs(not!)The question is are they so content with the current representation of ABP?, so happy with the current situation within the beef sector? or so unconvinced that ABP can further the aims of the average beef producer?
              It's a sad state of democracy that's for sure.
              By the way, not that I'm blaming the lack of elections on this, but I received my "summer edition" of the ABP leaflet "Grass routes" yesterday - September 5th and it contained the nomination form for candidates on the back page - unfortunately the deadline for applications was August 31st.
              I'm also still waiting on a copy of/or confirmation on a letter that ABP agreed to write on producer's behalf in a local oilfield dispute with an August 3rd deadline - I doubt it has ever been written yet either. What an efficient organisation.

Comment

I think one of the reasons for a possible lack of producer participation is that more and more producers work off farm and cannot fit being an ABP delegate in with the job and the farm too. Some of the ABP delegates I know are very involved not only with cattle issues but community issues too. It takes involvement from the whole family to make that possible. It really helps if there is a father or son at home, otherwise it just may not be possible to be involved. The off farm time requirement can be fairly high.

I note rkaiser has put his name in, good for him. I understand that more than a few contributors to Agri-ville are or have been involved with ABP or ACC before that. .

Comment

Coupled with the lack of energy to do much about our situation due to working other jobs to support the farming enterprise, I believe that there is a real sense of hopelessness amongst average producers; that they really can’t do anything about the state of affairs.
                  When you speak to an urbanite, they think it is going quite well for farmers. Remember, Ralph and Shirley said “Don’t worry, we will take care of our cattle producers” and when no one was looking, claw back. (Referring to the Alberta gov. “Equity Loss Program)
                  Look how many times you have seen the Feds add for the $400 million subsidy program, in every newspaper and brochures for quite some time now. Do you really think this is meant for us to be notified, or is it propaganda that can be paid for by earmarked ag money?
                  I believe that most are tired of trying to justify to others why we need a change, tired of being “whining farmers”, knowing that the push from all levels of gov is larger, corporate farms. Legislation that discourages small local plants. Farm land protection that may not allow a farmer the maximum realization of HIS assets. Why fight the masses? Even though the masses really want animals that are raised differently than the “efficient” way we have come to know.
                  Other than that, have a good one……………….

Comment

I would commend anyone who contributes to ABP or any volunteer organization even if the opinions of the organization differ from my own. We require real leadership in Canadian agriculture and we require dissenting opinions as well.
                    I think as far as ABP is concerned, it is far from the minds of producers. I doubt if you went door to door and asked many producers could even tell you what zone they are in or where the fall meetings are.
                    While certainly some of the blame may fall on ABP, it also falls on producers (myself included). I think we have all been taught that working harder and being independent will save the day. I think for most, if it comes down to finishing up that last bale of straw or going to a fall meeting, the bale will win. I don't think this approach is a long term sustainable one for agriculture in general.
                    Further I think that there are too many delegates for the number of producers we represent and that the decision making process could use some serious reconsideration. I know that they are currently working on a project to review and revise how ABP works and I would encourage people to look for this and provide feedback.
                    I think members of producer board often take a lot of SH!@ for not a lot of glory, and generally speaking when those board members are well informed they make good decisions. We require operational structures that result in good information. I have seen countless board members in various organizations sacrifice potential in their own operation to serve the greater good, and often vote and act in favour of motions that are good for the whole and detrimental for their own operation.

Comment

A zone 6 voter here Randy, you have my vote !!

Comment

Good call sm that will be one of the big undertakings is reforming the structure of ABP. hopefully to streamline the hole thing from the number of delegtes to numbers on the board of directors. Amalgamation of some committees etc. in order to cut back some budget and try to get back on track with producers. I whole heartedly agree that there has to be opinons on both sides of the street ... thats what starts reform. Have a great day.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...