• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accounting package?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting package?

I went on line looking for an accounting package, with financial analysis capability and herd management to track individually. This is a ranch herd but would like to track performance by pasture.

Does anyone have a program they would recommend that works well?

There are some programs around if you look around but I wonder if it would be worth the money to hire someone well versed in excel to set you up a database and spreadsheet. It's like farm accounting software. I have yet to find anything that comes close to an excel spreadsheet. That is my preference because I set it up like a general ledger.

If you know what you want to track then that's what you set up for. No sense buying something with stuff you don't want that gets in the way.

Comment

We use Ag Expert for accounting and I really like it. I can assign costs to various enterprises, it tracks depreciation and switches between cash and accrual for tax vs actual business performance.
      We have used CattlePro for the cowherd for a long time, but are working on a switch to Ranch Manager from LionEdge just due to lack of programming support for Cattle Pro.
      For comparison I use AgriProfit$ which is a formal benchmarking program, and also use Excel to run analysis for specific questions/problems/queries that I may have.
      I also run the yardage calculator in CowBytes a lot as it gives me good feedback on various feeding practices we are interested in.
      I use Excel for grazing management, but am working on a better solution.

Comment

AgExpert for accounting.

We have been using Ranch Manager for the cattle records. I really like Ranch Manager. It's reasonably priced, and I also have the mobile app for my Ipad. You can get cloud service with the program for about $40 a year, and it's really handy. I can also upload rfid tag info into my laptop, and age verify the whole calf crop in one swoop. I think they have a demo to download. Customer service is excellent.

Comment

I forgot.. Ranch Manager exports to excel so you can rearrange things if there is something you want to do that the program doesn't do.

Comment

kato, the only problem I have seen in RM so far is that it doesn't store my regular vaccines and related withdrawal times. I wish it could do that.

Comment

I have the same issue. It has a place to enter that in the mobile version, when you record a treatment, but seems to want the withdrawal times entered each time. I can never remember them.

I bet they would fix it if they were asked. They do updates all the time.

Apparently it qualifies as being good enough records for verified beef too.

Comment

Thank you so much for the advise.. appreciated.

Comment

Thank you so much, from this I guess I can quit looking for one that has financial analysis, herd management and accounting all in one package. This helps a lot, appreciated.

Comment

There is a certain amount of ability to use ranch manager for financial tracking, but I don't use it because it means duplicating the record keeping in Agexpert. RM will do the costs and such, but isn't a true accounting program.

Comment

We are just trying out CattleMax. So far I really like it and you can access your records in the field on your phone.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...