• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good source of forage seed???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good source of forage seed???

Looking to seed a bit down this year. Want a 70-30 grass alf. blend.

Where do you folks get the best deals on seed? I have little idea where to look...

Thanks

The peace country grows lots of forage seed and has a number of seed processors. There the big outfits like Brett Young are up there but there are some independents who sell direct. Definitely cheaper than buying from dealers. Golden acres seeds at Rycroft sends a truck out your way a couple times.

Comment

Don't know price wise but you could check out friendlyacres.sk.ca which I believe would be closer to home for you.

Comment

Could try Hannas Seeds for prices...Lacombe AB

Comment

We use Northstar seeds from Neepawa mb

Comment

Trawin Seeds in Melfort and Gary Waterhouse in Naicam would be the closest to you. Gary had a sale last spring I believe he stills deals with forages. Western Seducer will have their info.

Comment

If you are seeding forages they may be some money in the farm stewardship program that will cover 30 or 50% depending on what you are doing. Used the program extensively under GF1 haven`t looked at the latest round.

Comment

What type of grass are you planning on. Be warned meadow brome is retarded expensive this year. Smooth might be cheaper if you like it. I hate it on our heavy clay. Another thing you may think its nuts but a couple pounds of sweet or red clover helps to choke out weeds the first year. Done it on bush breaking on steep hills when broadcasting.

Comment

Well, thanks for all the info! I really had little idea where to look, other than CPS or brett young, etc.

Still researching grass types etc.

Comment

I just was talking with a processor and his multi alfalfa blend was $3.30 a lb and meadow brome was $3.20. So around $30 per acre. If he has enough orders out this way he sends a truck out and makes stops to keep freight reasonable. I've bought from him before and am pleased with the product.

Comment

So for a 60-40% grass alf blend, what rates would you recommend for a wet area? Getting my head around a cost idea...

Thanks.

Comment

Freewheat, to answer your question normal recommendation would be to seed 8.4lb Meadow brome and 3.2lbs of alfalfa to get the 60/40 blend.
                        All you've written over the years I think seeding alfalfa in your situation might be a mistake - it doesn't like getting its feet wet. Round here any place there is a dip in a field that is wetter there is no alfalfa.
                        Your conditions would better suit clovers in my opinion. Less bloat hassles, cheaper seed and really easy to top up with new seed any time you want to - just broadcast some on. Clovers only need about 5lb acre straight so only about 2lbs to keep your 60/40 grass legume mix. Put some diversity in though - at least some hybrid brome and meadow brome, some alsike clover and some red, maybe some white if you are sheep grazing.
                        These prices Wilton ranch is quoting are very good - the likes of Hannas and the big seed co's have been around $5 for alfalfa blends and $4 for meadow brome for a few years already.

Comment

I like the clover in grass blends. Got some grass through Weder and he made me a real mixture that seemed to fill in everywhere. There was alsike, anik alfalfa. tap alfalfa, meadow brome, and then I threw in some sweetclover and spredor 4 alfalfa. I think a dogs breakfast stand will last longer than just a dual or mono crop blend. Think too you should have some fescue and Timothy too.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. The land that is getting seeded down, is a small, well sloped field, with no areas where water ever sits, and it has what I call an inverse soil profile. IE the topsoil is heavier than the subsoil, which is quite sandy, so it has good drainage.

Not sure about clovers with sheep, need to look into that more. I assume you are talking red clover?

What about sainfoin, or trefoil? Typically, historically, alfalfa does really well here. In these wet years, I have not been looking too closely at how it has been affected by saturation...

Lots to think on.

Thanks again...

Comment

Sheep thrive on clover - its a natural fit for them. I really like the alsike clover if you get enough moisture and not too much heat like our conditions here. Red would tend to get too big and too coarse for sheep unless you had cattle to help keep it down. I don't have a lot of experience of alfalfa but my impression is it takes more management under grazing. Timothy is the one species I would never seed for a grazing situation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...