• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A&W TV media advertising new egg source.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to be flippant GF, but I don't see how being able to trace a burger back to the various properties that the donor bovine occupied is of any significance to me the consumer. As a matter of fact I don't see anything at A&W that identifies even what continent my burger came from.

On another note I caution that it is easier to make claims than produce results. NLIS might be all a story for as much as I know. The aussies are good salespeople. They certainly sold the concept to Alberta Ag bureaucrats a decade back. Even today our CCIA states some pretty lavish goals. Talk is cheap.

On that note I wonder where the premises ID requirement on livestock manifests went. I was told that in August of this year we would have to include premises ID on manifests. I have delivered several loads of cattle to auction markets lately and it hasn't been needed. Our late and great Kathy would be pleased and so am I.

Comment

I'm betting you need something similar to this to turn the trick:www.thousandhillscattleco.com/files/THCCAffidavit2014.pd
      Not real high tech but a much more advanced economy happens south of the medicine line using these.

Comment

That is a good enough affidavit Greybeard as long as the company selling the product polices it somewhat to maintain credibility. I think that should suffice for most "value added" programs.

Another way to go if you only want to know herd of birth/origin is to issue a simple tag (doesn't have to be electronic) bearing the farm premises ID # and allow it to be attached at time of leaving farm.

What I want is a system that specifically traces herd of origin and animal movement as that is crucial to have for animal disease outbreak control e.g. foot and mouth. The stupid thing is all the money we have spend putting e-tags on cattle we could already have been capturing that information as they go through auction, feedlots or collection yards.
        Unlike HT I think the current LIS paper system of brands/manifests is a joke and absolutely full of holes. That's the system I think needs replaced for producer protection not so much consumer protection.

Point is we have choices to make as to what system we need/want and I see no progress on this front - we are not really even discussing requirements 10 years after we started into this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...