• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

farmer / vet relationship

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

farmer / vet relationship

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian? I rarely have to call a vet out to the ranch, but when I do it seems like every time a new person comes out. It makes it hard to build a relationship with my vet. Does anyone else have a similar problem? I had the vet out on Friday because of a bloated stalker, and the next day the vet called to check up to see how it was doing. I was pleasantly surprised by the personal call. Is this the norm?

this is not general practice
    next day large invoice in the mail
    very nice follow up to see of him!
    you have a nice day

Comment

Sounds like a good vet to me. Ours asks next time I see him, but hasn't called us so far. They really should follow up though. Yours has the right idea.

I worked at a clinic for ten years, and it was the staff that got the feedback on how things turned out. They are a good resource. Get to know them. We knew what had worked for people, and what hadn't. My old boss seldom checked back on how things had worked, except for the big herd health things. We don't deal there any more, but that's a whole other story.

We can ask for a specific vet at the clinic we deal with now. One is a very experienced old school vet, super with cattle, one is a sharp eager new vet who likes horses and new ideas, and one is very experienced with small animals. We ask for whoever suits the problem we have, and like all of them.

Comment

Here is a little perspective from the young vets side of things....

The Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph is working to train young vet students to better interact with clients. Here is regular blog by the students themselves as they have work terms in the various clinics and connect with the industry and consumers.

Joe

[URL="http://ontag.farms.com/profiles/blog/list?user=1hfm6s7fqvd16"][/URL]

Comment

I believe we have a good relationship with our veterinarian. The office staff is friendly and professional, and we mostly deal in preventative programs such as vaccination and semen testing. We have had some other types of issues to deal with and the response is always prompt and professional. I would not call our vet touchy/feely, but we are not doing hip replacements on our cat either.
          I know we may be able to get some products/services cheaper elsewhere (eg: vaccine out of the US) but I think if I were a vet and my clients were taking that approach then I would probably not want to serve them very much free advice. We get high quality, free consultation with our herd health program and know that if we do have a problem, that our clinic will help us solve it ASAP.

Comment

I have a very good relationship with my current vet, definitely the best I've ever had. It helps that he admits himself he is a terrible drugs salesman, much preferring minimalist treatments and a more natural approach to healing things. Fits my philosophy.
            He has phoned inquiring after animals he has treated and seems genuinely interested.

Most of my previous vets have been locked in the "James Herriot" stereotype where they are the wise guys that know it all preaching to the dumb farmer.
            For that reason I've always preferred female vets - takes the macho competition element out of the relationship and I always find the women vets more empathic and caring to the animals.

Comment

Got time this morning to give a few comments from a practicing vets perpective.

Kato---already highlighted some.

20 years of owning and operating basically a cow-calf practice. Built the practice from scratch into 2 and then 3 person practice then back down to solo practice when couldn't find personel to fill positions.

Ray Turner--the vet calling back is a good practice builder. Used during the slower seasons ie Harvest and when new vet enters a practice. Falls apart when busy times or vet shortage.

The new veterinary era. GF. you are in luck for years to come. The ladies have taken over the profession. AT WCVM new class to graduate in 4 years there is about 8-9 guys in the class to 65 ladies ratio.

Interest in Large animal practice has diminished to a very small % willing to do that type of work. Thanks to the tough years following the BSE saga. Full attention on companion animal and very little attention on time learning about food animal practice.

Sean McGrath---your comments are very true. In practice those clients that purchased their fall and spring animal products from the clinic and including the vaccination protocals for entire herd health immediately opened the door for OTC of prescription drugs when needed. Those clients get lots of FREE ADVICE of what is working and what is not in herd situations.

Had a very good working realationship with the neighboring clinics. Clinics were 30 miles to 60 miles apart. When the other clinics good clients happen to show up at clinic because of their clinic being away or client in the area they were treated well with knowledge to go back to their regular clinic. But they were served.

There was a group that SHOPPED, COMPLAINED about price, Complained about service, Went across the line to pick up product, Went to pick up product for their neighbors. Those producers found out that our clinics didn't have "time" or "knowledge" when they showed up at our door. They also found out that the other clinics didn't have "time" or "knowledge" either.

During the busy times it was very stressfull in the clinics with staff and personnel. We wanted our clinic to be a "fun place to work" so our clientele was groomed to be repeat customers who appreaciated our service and our work and our price structure.

I lasted 20 years. Still go back to functions in that area and have my old clients come up and visit and even comment-----We miss you.

Funny those clients in an area that didn't like your work apparently do not like the veterinarian who took over the practice---they do not like his/her work either.

Comment

They were likely the ones who waited until the last minute to call, and then weren't happy when they didn't get a miracle.

Comment

Bloated stalker hey? Had an X that ate a lot of popcorn after she left and she came back a few times to see what I was up to. Guess you coulda called her a bit of a stalker. Couldn't really tell if she was bloated or not as her truck was out on the road and her windows were rolled up. I remember coming home from the movies with her back on the day after a big bag of popcorn and I always rolled the windows down. Vet used to recommend pepto bismol when I asked about her condition. Never did like GP's for advice. She stopped stalking me a few years back and I heard she stopped the popcorn addiction as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...