• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCIA TAGS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCIA TAGS

Whats the going price for tags these days? Bought my last bunch over a year ago.

The cheapest I can buy them is through the Canadian Hereford Association for $56 for 20. Our local feed store charges around $90 for a bag of 25.

Comment

I have no idea what the going price is these days. But I have a bigger problem, my tags don’t stay in our calves - they fall out. We were forced to switch tags, and since then we have been having some troubles. I say forced because they company discontinued the line that we liked.

Any suggestions? Maybe it’s the tagger or maybe it is farm worker error…?

Comment

Switch to Z-tags as they have spring loaded pliers that mean you aren't grabbing at the ear and risking tearing it. They also have a one piece female end that doesn't come apart like some of the others do.
        We put them on as calves and get 100% retention beyond the yearling stage. We also put them well into the ear - not hanging around the edges.

Comment

AND THE SAGA CONTINUES:

Just as was predicted over 4 years ago. Exodus of the Beef Cow herd operator.

COURT ROOM STAND ----JUNE 15 2010.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS ---OFFERED SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE THE PROBLEM AND PREVENT THE EXODUS OF THE BEEF PRODUCERS FROM LEAVING THE INDUSTRY.

Comment

What was your solution again? the spear that kills people while putting tags in or not tagging at all?

It didn't take a genius to predict an exodus from the cow/calf sector - that was already a well established trend by 2019.

Comment

GF says "that was already a well established trend by 2019". Is that a Freudian slip? In my estimation 2019 is about the time our cattle identification agency would detect an exodus from the cow calf sector. Their slippage level must be huge. I know of 32 old cows whose demise wasn't recorded by the CCIA because they didn't have tags. Their meat did enter the food supply and rightly so.

No doubt there are many factors that have contributed to the reduction in our cow herd. More useless rules and regulations haven't helped.

Comment

No, it was a typo. What about your reference to CCIA when presumably your anger is intended towards CFIA?

Comment

I have made mention to this in the past and will bring it forward again now for your benefit GF.

THE THREE STOOGES: CFIA, CCIA AND CCA. ADD TO IT THE PROVINCIAL GROUPS AS WELL SCA IN SASKATCHEWAN.

ALL BULLSHIT.

Comment

No anger just concern for cattlepeople and society in general. If the industry get given over to the big dogs by the bureaucrats everybody is in trouble.

Comment

So does shouting "ALL BULLSHIT" offer some kind of solution or way forward? I find that kind of comment usually comes from people with barely two brain cells to rub together. I expected better from you Sadie.

Comment

Who are the "big dogs" you refer to HT? Nilssons, Cargill, JBS, big retail outlets, the US? as far as I can see if it's any of them the "industry" was given over to them quite a while back.

Comment

GF we little dogs are still the main calf producers. That could and would change if the regulatory burden gets too bad. I keep having a vision of undocumented cattle being back doored into feedlots and emerging a few months later with complete histories. How much control would the big dogs have then?

And BTW Sadie is RIGHT. Its all BS. Pick a tag, any tag, and see if you can find the animal carrying it. Its not happening and won't be happening. The regulators have to realize that truth.

We were sold a system that would allow the place of birth of an animal to be identified in case of disease. We went along but of course that only encouraged the regulators and more stipulations have come along. Now the ID program is so corrupt that the best result would be its collapse. And I'm not kidding. A load of slaughter cows into a major kill plant without ID tags and not a peep from anybody. That is just one little guy. What are the big guys doing?

Comment

So the big dogs are the feedlots?

Comment

Since I have been accused by GF that I have:
                              " barely two brain cells to rub together"

I shut down my harvest and attended the fall Saskatchewan Veterinary Conference for 1 day for a few CE hours.

IT was a good chance to mingle with my colleagues that own and operate mixed practices in this province.

I also mixed with CFIA veterinarians as well.

Here are the facts:

1)Very few veterinary clinics carry, stock, sell CCIA eartags and more in their clinics.

Why. Vet clinics are busy. Anything that one has had experience in selling that carries too many complaints or hassle---or a product that doesn't work---remove that product off the shelf--GONE, GONE, GONE.

CCIA---has "0" credibility left. Get rid of all shiny papers, mailouts---Garbage.

Vet clinics move on. concentrate their time and effort into something that generates them $$$$.

CFIA veterinarians----come to the CE to learn from the practicioners in the field--_what is happening at the grassroots level. Most CFIA veterinarians if CANADIAN were in practice once---Burnt out and want retirement.

CFIA veterinarians show very little respect for the CCIA agency. Nothing but a "Gong show".

CFIA has totally turned away from being the regulator to the eartag fiasco.

Tagging. You only tag when you have to so that the $$$ levy is not applied by the next person Ie auction because they don't want the potential fine.

That is how it is in this province.

THE GONG SHOW will keep getting more relaxed as each year goes by.

"BYE BYE RFID EARTAG" or "BYE BYE more cow-calf operators.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...